Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to rooting and installing custom ROMs. I have a Samsung Showcase sch-i500 running stock 2.3.5 on the ntelos network. I would really appreciate it if someone could assist me with a guide for rooting and flashing a ROM for this phone, if it is possible. I have seen some of the documentation for CSouth SCH-i500's, but am unsure if it will work for my ntelos phone.

Thanks in advance.

· Average Android
311 Posts
scroll a little bit up to the stickies at the stock that tell you how to do everything you are asking. it is for the fascinate but should work. make sure you do a ton of reading first so you understand what all the terms are. it can get confusing when you ask for help and dont understand the terms in the answer. once you get all that part done you are going to want to flash a rom for the showcase, as you will have three different versions of the same rom usually. this will help you avoid any data or mms issues.

Powered by recycled iPhones!

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So yeah, after much thought.. I've come to the conclusion that I half-bricked my Showcase. It has a rom for CSouth on it, and it needs a nTelos radio or modem to function properly. I can send and receive calls and texts, but have no data connection. Lesson learned- always do backups of original roms. I didn't.

· LUV DEM ANDROIDS
848 Posts
Im not sure how you could extract the radio to flash separate to another rom (ive never tried it) ... but its an idea

But if you want to just want to root stock as i posted above

do this....

Flash this CWM recovery with Odin ( put .tar file in PDA and make sure repartition is ("NOT CHECKED")

http://dl.dropbox.co...ecovery-ALL.tar

After phone boots up , put flashable root package below on SD card.

http://dl.dropbox.co...oot_Package.zip

Flash root package from CWM

now you will be rooted

you may have to go to market and install "busy box"

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is what you need to get you back to stock ntelos..... with Odin , extract pit file and .tar file

http://dl.dropbox.co...%20carriers.zip

"Make sure you dial *228 after flashing"

You will get DATA back!
Ok, so I did everything as directed.. now I'm back to stock nTelos rom.. dialed *228 to reconfigure.. still no data

· LUV DEM ANDROIDS
848 Posts
Ok, so I did everything as directed.. now I'm back to stock nTelos rom.. dialed *228 to reconfigure.. still no data
Ok. TRY THIS ....

re flash again the stock ntelos rom as you did before with Odin...... BUT this time make sure to also CHECK the "PHONE EFS CLEAR BOX"

Then dial *228

If i doest work after the first time try again .(ive had to do it more than once to get it to work)

Good Luck!!

It should work .. because its worked for a couple of other people

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. TRY THIS ....

re flash again the stock ntelos rom as you did before with Odin...... BUT this time make sure to also CHECK the "PHONE EFS CLEAR BOX"

Then dial *228

If i doest work after the first time try again .(ive had to do it more than once to get it to work)

Good Luck!!

It should work .. because its worked for a couple of other people
Thanks! Trying now, I'll let you know how it goes.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you try it more than one time?

Its took me more than one time

If it don't work I would call ntelos and tell them you lost data (play dumb) and maybe they can direct you

Sent from my SCH-I500 using RootzWiki
I tried it twice.. the issue being that *228 directed me to Verizon's activation.. The ROM I was trying before took me to nTelos activation with *228, it just wouldn't activate. I could make calls and texts.. but no data or MMS.

If it helps, the name of the ROM file I was trying before is CI500_ACG_EI20_GB_REL_KIES

Haha, and yeah if I can't find a decent solution to this problem, I was actually considering intentionally bricking the device and taking it back to the store since it's been less than a month since I purchased it and is still under warranty. I just don't want to give up that easily.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.