Mod Status:: Stable

Apply In:: ODIN/Heimdall

Carrier:: T-Mobile

Optional:: Includes Recovery

Requires Root:: No

Android Version:: 2.3.X (GB)

Source::
Another Team Acid release

Okay, I'm tired of seeing people not be able to get on the GB ext4 bandwagon where apps don't disappear. This guide is for you if you want a smooth, surefire way to get on GB.

NOTES
* The KC1 and KJ6 files contain bootloaders for the SGH-T959V. By downloading and flashing the files you agree that you will not hold me or anyone in Team Acid responsible if your device gets bricked. There are always risks when flashing custom firmware and ROMs onto your phone.
* As always, make a full backup of your SD card and phone.

FEATURES
* Root
* CWM + drhonk's custom KJ1 kernel preinstalled.
* Gets rid of the disappearing apps problem
* Gets rid of the missing SD card once you're booted into GB
* Gets rid of your bootloops
* Get a working GB ROM with ext4 support (includes Official KJ6 with drhonk's custom KJ1 + cwm kernel)
* All the files you need are included in this post
* Wipes out all the gremlins you had on your phone by putting the KC1 bootloaders, then the KJ6 bootloaders on your phone.

PREREQUISITES
1) Download all the files from the links on this post, and extract both .7z files and Odin v1.85 using 7-zip or a compatible program
2) Leave the phone's back cover off since you're gonna have to do a few battery pulls and you need access to the sd card
3) Format your sd card by hooking it up to your computer with an sd adapter or through mass storage mode using your phone and a USB cable.
FORMATTING ERASES EVERYTHING ON YOUR SD CARD. MAKE SURE YOU BACK IT UP ONTO YOUR COMPUTER BEFORE YOU DO THIS.
Follow this guide to format your sd card on Windows (this is on XP but the same steps can be taken on Vista or 7).
This guide is meant for using your sd card on a Wii, but the process is the same to get it working on the phone.
WATCH THE VIDEO ALL THE WAY TROUGH BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY OF THIS.

INSTRUCTIONS
1) After formatting the SD card with the steps above, put your favorite GB ROM, and install_busybox.zip onto the SD card
- 1a) You can restore any backup of your SD card you made at this point. Make sure you have at least 2GB free on the card though!
2) Put your phone into download mode
3) Open Odin on your computer
4) Load up Odin, and load the KC1 files, DON'T TOUCH ANY OTHER OPTIONS, leave them like they are even if Odin changes them!
- 4a) PIT: Sgs4g.pit
- 4b) PDA: pda.tar.md5
5) Flash and let the phone reboot. Once you see the T-Mo startup screen (the pink one), OR the CWM (red text) screen do a battery pull.
6) Put your phone back into download mode
7) Click reset in Odin, now load up the KJ6 files
- 7a) PDA: pda.tar.md5
- 7b) CSC: csc.tar.md5
8) Flash the files and let the phone reboot.
- 8a) The phone will go into standard recovery (blue and yellow letters, you might hear Linda) and then reboot itself once.
- 8b) The 2nd time you will see either the CWM red letter screen or the Galaxy S 4G white letters/pink splash screen and if you prefer you can let the phone boot all the way, do a battery pull.
9) Now unplug the USB cable, put the battery back in, hold vol + and -, then press power. You should boot into CWM (red letters, voodoo).
10) Go into the voodoo menu > enable lagfix and /system lagfix on
11) Flash the GB rom you put on your sd card
12) Flash the busybox_installer.zip
13) Reboot and hear Linda give her speech.
14) Welcome to GB with ext4!

CREDITS
For helping me expand my knowledge:
krylon360
whitehawkx
drhonk
chadster214
golmar88
Team Acid
raverx3x for the CSC flashing trick that fixes the missing apps problems and for the KC1 and KJ6 builds
dsexton702 for his countless guides which help me build mine.
The helpful members of this community

TESTIMONIALS
Lawful123;16814806 said:
It was all a blur. I followed your steps and all I remember was some cable and talking to the ruler of Asgard then their was a crazy battery pull then back to Asgard and then i had a one way conversation with some fembot named linda and it all ended with me having gingerbread.

Thanks for the help.
CHANGELOG
Nov 24, 2011
Updated the guide and files for the official KJ6 GB release. Now you get Raver's KJ6 ROM plus drhonk's KJ1 kernel + voodoo.

Sep 27, 2011
Changed the formatting and added a youtube video link on how to format your sd card from your computer instead of CWM.

Aug 18, 2011
Initial release
LINKS
7-zip
Odin3 v1.85.zip
install_busybox.zip
fb_kc1_bootloaders_cwm.7z
fb_kj6_official_kj1_kernel.7z

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
:grin2: Thanks fbis251! It was very nice of you for putting all the pieces in one place to get up to date and rooted with Gingerbread on the SGS4G. Much obliged.

·
Android Apprentice
27 Posts
Everything worked fine on whitehawks kh2 but its not on ext4 format atleast i dont think so doesn't say in voodoo control app

·
FB
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have Terminal Emulator from the market or know how to use ADB run
Code:
mount | grep ext4
If nothing comes out it's not enabled, if it's enabled you should get 3 lines saying /data, /cache, and /system.

You could always reboot into cwm and enable it from there.

·
Android Apprentice
27 Posts
i tried to reboot into cwm its gone i just have the normal yellow and blue one now would i flash the kernel again via odin? last time i did that it got stuck at the samsung logo screen but ill give it a shot again

·
FB
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reflashing the custom KG4 kernel should fix it, but get back to me if you still have trouble.

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
Hey, First I want to say thanks for your and everyones work on this

I Followed instructions to the T . I used Stock Deodexed T959VUVKH2 [Root][CRT ON & off enabled Rom from WhitehawkX at the end of the instructions. Everything worked beautifully up until reboot . After reboot, I get Force Close when running Appz, Market link and various other appz are greyed out. I reinstalled Titanium Backup and restored my data/appz and restored contacts. I shutdown and rebooted and I got the problems.

Someone please help. I have searched forumz both rootwiki and xda-developers and google. I tried searching for samsung galaxy s 4g 2.3.4 , sgs4g kh2, etc...

I did see a solution pertaining to booting in CWM revovery and unmounting, but I cant even install my CWM Premium due to force close

thanks

·
FB
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The missing apps problem is caused by fault partitions. Try flashing the CSC file from the KH2 file, then you can try doing a factory reset. Try installing a few apps after that and reboot to see if they stick.

Andrew, is your sd card formatted/partitioned correctly?

·
FB
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Updated the guide to make it more clear. Also added a link to a youtube video showing how to format the sd card using Windows.

·
Android Apprentice
27 Posts
hey im having a problem with this kh2 seems it wont read my sd or something its just on this rom though says you do not have a sd card inserted when i actually do have one inserted

·
Android Apprentice
27 Posts
still no luck goes to yellow recovery then reboots phone to regular startup then it tries to attempt to convert but cuts off in the middle then proceeds on to turn phone on EDIT*** nevermind got it to work thanks alot the guide really helps when all goes wrong with this phone haha !

·
FB
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nov 24, 2011
Updated the guide and files for the official KJ6 GB release. Now you get Raver's KJ6 ROM plus drhonk's KJ1 kernel + voodoo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts