Android OS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Android Beginner
3 Posts
As of now the official/leaked Gingerbread 2.3.3 also known as PC10IMG.zip (2.13.531.8) for the T-Mobile G2 cannot be rooted.

There is an official/leaked Gingerbread 2.3.3 that you can flash through Clockwork recovery that will come pre-rooted, if you have this rom, this doesn't concern you.

Verified Failed Methods:

Z4root
Gingerbreak
pseneuter
gfree
visionary
rage
Super One Click

Succesful as of June 28, 2011:

None

HTC/Google made it virtually impossible to root with the tools and exploits we have available today.

Maybe a few devs are hiding a special exploit. They are most likely waiting to see if it gets patched when the official T-Mobile G2 update is released to the masses. None of this is supported by facts.. but if its true it would help those who got screwed by HTC when they received their replacement G2's or people that just went ahead and flashed the leaked Gingerbread without being aware of the consequences.

Discuss your thoughts/feelings about this issue below. This is just an informative thread for those who are stuck on 2.3.3 or for those who were thinking of updating to the official 2.3.3..

FYI DONT DO IT!!!!

THIS INFORMATION IS UPDATED ON THE DAILY BASIS. PLEASE REFER TO THIS THREAD IF ANYONE ASKS HOW TO ROOT GINGERBREAD 2.3.3 ON THE G2. THIS THREAD WILL BE UPDATED WHEN A ROOT METHOD IS AVAILABLE.

·
Android Apprentice
24 Posts
hmm...I hadn't heard of this. Thanks.

The last one I saw was the leaked "official" one, which was rooted, etc. etc.

·
Android Beginner
3 Posts
Indeed i did try them all as well and i got nothing which is sad, i hope this new root for the evo3d and sensation will work for the g2 as well and thats its generic so we once again free this phone

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
All hope is not lost, since fre3vo gives you a temporary root (via adb shell). So, you can always downgrade, get S-OFF and install your custom ROM.
Forums are full of guides. For example therootofallevo.com and xda-developers.I tried the latter myself for my HTC Vision/Desire Z and it worked great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts