Android OS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ok guys, for all of you who are STILL waiting for the official update to roll out to our tabs, wait no longer. Thanks to PCPIMP over on android forums who pulled the update file from /cache in his tab before installing, we now have it and can flash it ourselves. However, there are a few quirks to getting this thing to flash properly. First: It must be flashed from stock recovery, NOT cwm recovery. Also, once you download the file from the multiupload link, you must rename it to update.zip Be careful here. When I renamed it to update.zip, somehow it would automatically add "bin" on to the end of the file. So without being able to see it, the file ended up with the name update.zip.bin and it was not showing up in stock recovery to flash. Use a file manager like 7zip to change the name or open up the properties on your PC to do it properly. Once it's renamed properly, put it on the the SD card. Here is something I am not completely sure of......but I *think* it doesn't matter what build you're on when you flash this file. It appears to me to be very insecure. You can even open up the update.zip with 7zip and debloat the stuff you don't want. I did. I only see one "patch" file in the update.zip and that was the LTE modem. What that means I'm prettty sure is that it will only require one file to be present on your tab to flash properly. This *may* even be able to be flashed directly from the Leak I posted of this build, for those of you who are on it. As long as you are on the correct radio because that's what it looks for. When you flash this file, it even wipes your data for you, But it does NOT wipe the SD card. I actually flashed it twice to see how secure it was. I flashed it from EH04 and EH04 radios and then I reflashed it directly over itself (EL01 and the EL01 radios) and it worked fine. So, I hope everyone understands all of that long winded babble I just spewed.

Step 1. Download update http://goo.gl/6XtFD (<---Huge thanks to PCPimp for hosting this) and rename it PROPERLY with 7zip or something to update.zip and place it on the root of your SD card. Make sure you don't have any other files named update.zip already on your SD, as that could get confusing, lol.

Step 2. Odin flash this recovery: http://dl.dropbox.co.../lterec.tar.md5

Step 3. Boot into the stock recovery you just flashed and select apply update from SD card. Then scroll until you find update.zip. If it is not there, that means you didn't properly rename it. It most likely added the letters bin to the end of the name and can't be recognized by the recovery. So reboot and fix that and then start step 3 back over.

Step 4. When it is named properly and you flash it, most likely you are immediately going to see the dreaded Yellow exclamation point on the android signifying that there is an error or that you did something wrong.......Just wait. Keep watching it. It will eventually flash and your tab will reboot and you will be on EL01 and updated. Now, if you want root, see step 5

Step 5. Download both of these files: Kernel - http://droidbasement.com/galaxy/kern..._fp-010912.zip SU.zip - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20070269/Sup...fgh-signed.zip and put them both on your SD card.

Step 6. Open up odin program on your PC and click PDA and you will need to quene up this file in PDA: http://dl.dropbox.co...ecovery.tar.md5 also, uncheck Auto Reboot in odin. YOU DO NOT WANT AUTO REBOOT TO HAVE A CHECK IN IT IN ODIN. REMOVE IT. Then power off tab and then boot into download mode by holding the power button until you see the samsung galaxy tab screen, then quickly let go of the power button but then immediately after and at the same time, hold power button and volume up until you are given two choices: A white box or the android. Careful, volume down at this point will choose for you. You will already be on the one you want to choose, which is the full sized android. BUT, make sure that odin is completely ready to go first. Make sure the recovery.tar that you just downloaded is quened up in PDA. On your tab push the volume down button and then follow the screen instructions. When the "Downloading" screen comes on, you need to move kinda quickly but you can relax. Just plug it in and hit start in odin. When you see the green pass in odin, unplug the tab and use the volume and power buttons again to boot into the other option, the white box and the little android. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! Once you have flashed the recovery.tar file, you must NOT let the tablet boot up fully and normally. You must directly into recovery. If it fully boots first, then the stock kernel will overwrite the cwm recovery with the stock recovery.

Step 7. So once you boot into to the turquoise cwm recovery, flash the 2 files you downloaded in step 5 in this order: The awesome kernel first, credit to Pershoot. Then flash the SU.zip file credit to ChainsDD: <------sometimes this SU.zip file will give you an error in CWM recovery when flashing it, just try it again and it will work.

Step 8. Reboot your tablet and enjoy a rooted EL01 updated tab with an AWESOME OC kernel from Pershoot.

Credit
Pershoot for the sweet kernel and recovery used in my guide
PCPIMP for pulling the update file from his tab and uploading it for us all
ChainsDD for root in general and the Superuser.zip used in my guide

·
Android Pimp
147 Posts
kidserious,

Hows it going bro? Thanks for the credit! Quick question? The other night when we were talking I didn't flash the Preshoot Kernel I did do superuser with no errors. Should I do step 5 again? So I can get Preshoot Kernel flashed.

Never mind I did step 5 over! THANKS!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kidserious,

Hows it going bro? Thanks for the credit! Quick question? The other night when we were talking I didn't flash the Preshoot Kernel I did do superuser with no errors. Should I do step 5 again? So I can get Preshoot Kernel flashed.

Never mind I did step 5 over! THANKS!
Yea, you could just go ahead and flash the kernel from where you're at right now. Just make sure you flash it from CWM recovery.

·
Android Apprentice
190 Posts
well following your steps, i flashed stock recovery, chose update.zip to update, first got the yellow exlimation but it went away and now have gearz turning. been turning for about 5 minutes now but the progress bar at the bottom is not moving at all just the gears. is this normal and how long does it take before it will reboot?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
was on the leak with leak radios. Odin back to stock and update was waiting for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Yea, that makes sense. In the update file, there is an LTE modem patch which means it patches the previous radio which is the way it updates to the new radio. It has to patch from the previous "official" radio to EL01. So if it does not find the correct radio when flashing, it errors out. But, I actually reflashed the update.zip after flashing it once and it still worked being on the new official radio. Weird.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there a way to do all this without a PC? I only have a Mac, so I can't use Odin.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk
Heimdall works on a mac, it's serves the same purpose as odin.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

·
Developer
46 Posts
any chance for a mirror of the update.zip? i cant get it tonight

edit: also need a mirror for the new recovery, dropbox doesnt have it anymore

Edit: For anyone that cannot find the recovery / kernel files, here is a link to the blog: http://droidbasement.com/db-blog/

I had to flash back to stock odin and go through the OTA's to get up to 3.2, and spaced and didnt grab the 3.2 update zip. i will try it again later this week to get it for yall.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OP updated with a funtioning link to the update file. Big thanks to PCPimp for hosting this. My apologies to everyone for my lack of tending to this thread. My mother passed away at christmas time and it's been rough. And since the **** in the government took down Multiupload, it's hard to find places to upload larger files.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts