Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Since my first android which was a fascinate i I have obsessed with The gps . Finally I managed to get the correct setting but it was time for an upgrade ..Out of the box I was very disappointed with the how long it took to get a GPS lock on my GN ..So after doing my homework and and trying out a few different apps and settings I Finally have it down to a science where I get almost and instant lock !. There is a handy little free app called "GPScompassMap" that you can get at the market . It is an accurate app that tells you how many satellites you are locked into . Before you change your Gps settings do a test and see how many satellites you are locked into .. If your not getting between 8/8 and 11/11 then this is for you !Of course make a backup .
The only settings that will be effected are your GPS settings .

Please click "Like" just so I can see how many people these settings are working for.
I am not sure what that "Vote" button is for but it wont hurt to click on the "Vote" button too

By the way you will never have to purchase another GPS app again
. I am not asking for donations ..Just click like or make a comment ..

For some reason for the most part "angy GPS" is not opening up for a lot of people .This app is not a necessity just a tool . you do not need any apps for this configuration to work . By the way people are reporting that this is working for everyone not just CDMA .. Once again make a backup and enjoy your tweaked out GPS settings !
Thanks ,

Mitch

Here is the flashable zip file ! UPDATED ! AND YES IT WORKS ON JELLY BEAN 4.1 !

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's a free open source app, FasterGPS, that aims to accomplish the same end. Any thoughts on these settings vs the defaults it uses? It only includes north america as one of the stock options so I'm trying 0.us.pool.ntp.org now a bit to see if it makes things a bit snappier. It doesn't seem to provide for multiple entries under NTP_SERVER though.
I have used the fastergps app before and there is also a hard to get app called angry gps that lets you go deeper into the settings
your best bet would be to copy the settings I posted . just make a backup : )

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
While we're all sharing, I sat down and taught myself how to make and sign flashable zips today, and I packaged this file into one for future rom flashing ease. Here it is if anyone else would like to use it. But I highly encourage anyone who generally looks for other people to throw these up to put in the time to learn it. It takes a little while to learn some terminology but actually doing it is pretty fast and easy once it's set up.
View attachment 24408
GREAT JOB !!!I am so happy that my post is gaining popularity and is working for everyone ! !!

·
Registered
32 Posts
While we're all sharing, I sat down and taught myself how to make and sign flashable zips today, and I packaged this file into one for future rom flashing ease. Here it is if anyone else would like to use it. But I highly encourage anyone who generally looks for other people to throw these up to put in the time to learn it. It takes a little while to learn some terminology but actually doing it is pretty fast and easy once it's set up.
View attachment 24408
Awesome Job ...I still need to teach myself how to make a flashable zip if I ever get the time!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just a reminder ... These settings are optimized for the US. Please read my original post.

Oh yeah and here is an app to help with GPS testing and allow you to get deeper into the settings if you need to . also there is an option to Delete GPS data .. This will reset your location settings So you can see how fast these settings actually work without rebooting you phone :: )

By the way on most android phones you cannot open this app but on the Galaxy Nexus it opens just like any other application.. : )

ENJOY !
MItch

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
By the way I just noticed someone is posting other files on my thread.I do not recommend using them as i have not tested them nor do you need to ...
The GPS file I originally posted is the only one you need to speed up your GPS and make it like a ROCKET !..
Oh yeah and here is an app to help with GPS testing and allow you to get deeper into the settings if you need to . also there is an option to Delete GPS data .. This will reset your location settings So you can see how fast these settings actually work without rebooting you phone :: )

By the way on most android phones you cannot open this app but on the Galaxy Nexus it opens just like any other application.. : )
One more thing ... The only thing updated as of right now is My name is in the file and script ...Someone made that suggestion so I listened : ) Once again I am so happy that everyone is having so much success with this file .

Enjoy !
Mitch

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
GPS Aids on the Play Store has been far more effective for me on my galaxy nexus. Might be worth considering for some of you who really want instantaneous locking.
GPS aids was one of the first apps I tried when I got my first android .tried it when I first got my gnexus worked OK but I still wasn't satisfied.
There are many apps that do what that one does but none of them give you anything close to my configuration. Nor do they have the same results
Flash the file and you won't need any GPS apps again

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
after you flash the file if it is not working for you do a battery pull and then try that should work

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
For some reason angry Gps is not opening on some phones .That app is not a necessity .its just something extra /. If you just install the zip file that will be enough .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Guys for the record, I actually think GPS on the GNex significantly improved on JB
simple way to test ...do a before and after and what ever works better is the configuration you use ...That's what i did when I first installed JB ... And made my own conclusions... Good luck

1 - 20 of 21 Posts