Android OS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seriously bro this is awesome. Locks in 3 seconds tops inside my house. Dead accurate too. It was taking 7-8 seconds before. Running Liquid 1.35 with James Bond kernel. Nice work man.

Edit: put this on my D3 running Liberty ROM & same results. It was taking 7-8 seconds as well & wasn't very accurate. This will be the first thing I change on new ROM's.

*Sent from a non-Moto device*

·
Registered
480 Posts
Was just reading the changelog for liquidsmooth 1.4 as I get ready to flash it and I see that this made it into the rom's default config. Good stuff!

·
Average Android
336 Posts
unfortunaly this gave me 0/1 gps.
This won't work on some phones... I have a Galaxy Nexus running AOKP which is fine, but on my Thunderbolt running a Sense based ROM any mods to gps.conf seem to break GPS entirely.

That said, there's a small error in the updater-script in the flashable zip. Swap lines 7 and 8, you need to set permissions on the gps.conf file before you unmount the /system partition.

·
Supporting Member
4,550 Posts
So Google not being idiots and knowing all about this stuff, there must be some Ying to go with the yang, so to speak... :)

Some of the downside might include more load on the GPS servers which might be OK for the relatively small number of users who will use this, but has anyone done any before/after testing to check battery drain or other issues on the phone?

BTW, this appears it may speed things up in Europe as well...more testing tomorrow. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
682 Posts
Tried this on my Verizon Gnex, unfortunately, had zero effect at my current location....

·
? - ???
1,158 Posts
Very nice. I had 1/10 before edit and it said I was 2 blocks away. Made the edit now 10/10 and location is spot on!
Thanks. Big brother will always now *exactly* where I am. ;p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Android = Win.
642 Posts
Not sure how this is working so well for all of you...even with this mod it's still taking at LEAST a minute "searching for gps" after going into Google navigation.

This is right after I turn gps on in settings though, not sure if you guys always have it enabled..

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
Not sure how this is working so well for all of you...even with this mod it's still taking at LEAST a minute "searching for gps" after going into Google navigation.

This is right after I turn gps on in settings though, not sure if you guys always have it enabled..
Yeah it took me 2.5 minutes to lock for the first time. Same as usual for me. Oh well I use my Garmin in the car anyways.

·
Android = Win.
642 Posts
Yeah it took me 2.5 minutes to lock for the first time. Same as usual for me. Oh well I use my Garmin in the car anyways.
Yeah it was about the same for me...def way over a minute. I think maybe everyone reporting times of a few seconds already had gps enabled. If that's the case then I don't think there's even a need for any mods..mine locks almost instantaneously if gps is already on.

Can anyone chime in on this? I'm very curious.

·
Registered
682 Posts
When mine didn't have any effect, my GPS wasn't enabled either... Maybe that is it? When mine is enabled, I get a pretty quick lock anyway...

·
Registered
950 Posts
Here is the optimized sirfgps.conf file that goes in /vendor/etc

Rw rw r are the permissions.

Rename to .conf from .txt.
What is this?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus! (AOKP b37 , franco.Kernel r165, 4.0.4 Radios, Inverted Gapps, TWRP2 Recovery)

·
Registered
140 Posts
OK

Turned on external low noise amplifier
Increased the UART baud rate to 460.8 kbps
Set id to IMSI instead of MSISDN
Control priority response set to mixed
Turn control plane on
Set to use embedded memory controller

And as a note android by default only selects one NTP server usually the first one listed. Unless there was a work around found for that?

·
Registered
950 Posts
OK

Turned on external low noise amplifier
Increased the UART baud rate to 460.8 kbps
Set id to IMSI instead of MSISDN
Control priority response set to mixed
Turn control plane on
Set to use embedded memory controller

And as a note android by default only selects one NTP server usually the first one listed. Unless there was a work around found for that?
So...we should use both of these GPS mods then?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus! (AOKP b37 , franco.Kernel r165, 4.0.4 Radios, Inverted Gapps, TWRP2 Recovery)

41 - 60 of 196 Posts