Ahh the nostalgia. Once upon a time there was a little game called Gauntlet that used to leave my pockets bereft of quarters and it was iconic and revolutionary in scope. One of the first true dungeon crawlers, it allowed four players to romp through a series labyrinths with four heroes of legend: Thor the warrior, Merlin the wizard, Thyra the Valkyrie, or Questor the elf. Each character had its own strengths and weaknesses and its own special abilities. Few games of the day had as much differentiation or replay value.

Enter Orange Pixell (Gunslugs and Meganoid 2), one of my favorite mobile game developers, who specialize in retro-style games with pixelated graphics. Orange Pixel's latest is Heroes of Loot, a game directly inspired by Gauntlet which brings very similar gameplay with an awesome new twist. The whole point of Gauntlet was loot and Heroes Of Loot follows its example. However, the best part of Heroes of Loot is that unlike Gauntlet the dungeons are randomly created each time you play and this makes for nearly endless replay value. Of course the game features Orange Pixel's trademark old-school pixel graphics style.

As you proceed through the labyrinthine dungeons with either of the four unnamed heroes, they are granted level increases and the occasional quest from NPC's and just like in Gauntlet there are plenty of hidden areas to discover. There are also shops where items can be purchased with the loot you have collected. The object is to go as deep as you can and along the way you can earn achievements via the Google Play Games service. Of course the dungeons are teeming with enemies for you to destroy including skulls, imps, cyclops, minotaurs, flameheads, spikes, bats and more. Controller fans will be happy to hear the game supports Moga, Green Throttle, Xperia Play and NVIDIA Shield. The only regret is there is no co-op via Google Play Games and I am not sure why. It is sorely lacking.

That being said, we are looking at one of the most fun games to hit the Android scene in some time. The Gauntlet-esque shooter-style gameplay is simple and perfect for killing time. All in all it comes highly recommended and remember to thank the good folks at Orange Pixel so they can keep the retro style action coming to our mobile devices. You can grab Heroes Of Loot on Google Play with ad support for free or ad-free for $1.99.

Via: Orange Pixel