Android OS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Virtuous Developer
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purpose

The purpose of this patch is to detect the radio firmware currently running on your device and install the matching libraries for that radio. There is ongoing debate as to whether or not the matching process is beneficial, which I ask you NOT to discuss in this particular thread. Instead, please continue that discussion on pfak's thread.

Background

To fully understand what matching means in this context, a few details need to be explained. Official HTC releases for a given device are typically distributed in the form of an RUU package. An RUU package contains an hboot, radio, ROM and other components. Developers here on XDA (including myself), take apart these RUUs and distribute customized, flashable packages of only the ROM component only. These packages never contain a radio but do contain ril libraries (ROM's interface to the radio firmware). The chances the libraries provided match the radio you happen to be running is a crapshoot.

Hense, the idea here is to "match" the RIL libraries, which are a ROM component, with the radio firmware you have installed at the time this patcher is run. Where otherwise, your installed RIL libraries (provided by your ROM in /system/lib) and installed radio (flashed via hboot/fastboot/etc.) could very well have come from different RUUs.

Supported Radios
  • 26.02.00.24_M2
  • 26.02.01.15_M2
  • 26.03.02.08_M
  • 26.03.02.18_M3
  • 26.03.02.26_M
  • 26.03.02.26_M2
  • 26.04.02.17_M2
  • 26.06.02.27_M
  • 26.08.04.16_M
Credits

Thanks to pfak for all of his research, findings and for updating the patch with additional matching libs. His thread and theories as a whole motivated the creation of this auto matcher.

Disclaimer

I do not recommend using this patch with Cyanogenmod or any other AOSP ROMs. There is ongoing debate about this subject (again, not to be discussed in this thread) but I have witnessed issues first-hand after replacing the Cyanogen-provided libs (v7) with my own. Also, I encourage making a nandroid backup prior to using this patch, so that you can restore if you are displeased with results.

(Also available in the Virtuous section of ROM Manager)

Please click the "Thanks" button if my work ends up being useful to you.​

1 - 1 of 1 Posts