Android OS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Hey guys
I would love to port roms and build source for this device , maybe even work on a recovery or two......\
ATM im just porting MIUI to a number of devices and building AOKP, PA, CM, and KINGKANG to various devices as well......
In the past I have worked with sony devices with source and ports but I would love to try another gsm device !!
I would plan on getting some nice MIUI weekly builds and also get some s ource builds going with Linaro Optimization
it's already over

·
Banned
21 Posts
i know

·
Kanging 'n Baking
410 Posts
While I understand most are going to be posting about features, I'll take a slightly different approach. I've been building 4.2.1 with a custom gcc4.7 toolchain. More recently, I've also been working with building my toolchain (and android) with gcc-trunk (4.8), but I've yet to fix some major performance regressions from 4.8. As far as I could tell, I was one of the first to build a custom 4.2.1 non-nexus build with a 4.7 toolchain. The current toolchain I'm using is a personal one that is going by "cfX-Toolchain," and is fully opensource (any toolchain_ repo listed on the codefirex bitbucket listed below).
Here are some highlights of the toolchain used in the codefireX builds:
  • Disabled simulator target and tui
  • Graphite enabled
  • Linaro gcc-4.7-2012.12
  • Linaro gdb 7.5-2012.12-1
  • Mpc 1.0.1 (most recent upstream)
  • Gmp 5.0.5 (most recent upstream)
  • Mpfr 3.1.1 (most recent upstream)
  • Binutils 2.22 - I tested all major binutils releases from 2.22 to the upstream 2.23.51.06 and couldn't find any performance changes in 0xbench. The only change required in the more recent versions was a workaround I implemented for the libiberty 64bit check since the host is checked at toolchain build time, which breaks many target ARM builds.
  • Cloog 0.17.0
These 4.2 builds are also built with strict aliasing, -O3 for arm_cflags, and -O3 for thumb_cflags on some devices. I added an ifeq in build since some LTE devices can't have thumb built with -O3 currently. This is currently really just a workaround, though I'm planning on adding local_cflags to the offending modules so I can always globally use -O3 for thumb_cflags. I test all changes on a 1GHz single core cortex-a9 in Linaro's 0xbench. I'll be editing this post with the exact benches shortly, however building with the custom 4.7 toolchain alone gave an approximately 1300ms improvement on top of all previous improvements. The reason why I'm so interested in globally using -O3 for thumb_cflags as well, is because that change gave me a consistent 500-600ms improvement (which as many know, is quite difficult to get on hardware such as this).

The codefireX and toolchain source is all available HERE
Currently only a few devices are supported for 4.2.1, but I'm working on adding support for all previously supported 4.1 devices. The builds for the supported devices are available HERE (threads haven't yet been made for all the 4.2 supported devices since I'm not much of a thread guy, and have been working more on the toolchain/source).

If any more info is needed, please let me know.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.