Photoshop Express is a photo editing application available for free on multiple platforms. According to a post on Thursday from the Adobe blog, the new version is available now for download in the Google Play Store. The update puts PS Express to version 2.0.

The new version, per their post, features the following changes:

• This version was rebuilt completely from the ground up for Android and is KitKat compatible. We have made every effort to fine-tune the app for Android. As an example, Android users will appreciate accessing and processing images saved on the SD card faster than before.
  • We've focused on making the app easy-to-use by bringing the most popular features to the top. 'Looks' (our word for filters), cropping, red eye reduction, and auto-correct are now all easy-to-discover.
  • Our more savvy users will appreciate the Corrections menu with slider controls to fine-tune exposure, contrast, highlights, shadows, temperature, tint, etc.
  • Under the hood, this release is powered by Adobe's latest image rendering engine, coming to Android for the first time. This engine greatly improves performance and enables handling of large file sizes.
  • It's still free.
shot1They also announced that the application is now closely intertwined with their Adobe Revel service. Revel is a web-based platform/application optimized for storing and sharing photos and videos. Of course users can just save their PS Express-edited photos in their traditional galleries.

The new Photoshop Express does feature many dramatic changes. The changes were all made from the ground up and the entire app has a new user experience. The traditional application featured tweaks that could be made via finger slide and then a handful of filters that could be applied. Now the application features the filters more prominently with the other editing features interwoven into the UI.

The new application does come with full compatibility with Android 4.4. I have heard that some ART users did have a hard time getting the application to work. If you are on ART and cannot get the app to work, let us know in the comments. Traditional Dalvik users should be able to open the application. My phone is stuck on 4.3, so I noticed no crashes when I installed the update.

Photoshop is a predominant player in the photo editing space. Along with Google's Snapseed, Aviary, and a host of other apps, it will probably continue to be a highly sought-out set of applications. I can live without the filters, but any application that gives the user robust controls in editing is still a win.

Adobe Photoshop Express is available for Free in the Google Play Store​

h/t: Android Central