Android OS Forum banner

Poll: Newest Chingy-released radio, more or less random reboots/restarts?

4K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Spikelangelo 
#1 ·
Newest Chingy Radio- more or less reboots/shutdowns?
I've had MORE random reboots/shutdowns on the newest leak radio 38.33%
I've had LESS random reboots/shutdowns on the newest leak radio 1644.44%
I've had about the SAME amount of random reboots/shutdowns on the newest leak radio 925.00%
Inconclusive/not enough time to know for sure822.22%

#2 ·
Hey Everyone,

I've been on the second-to-latest MR2 (official?)... the one that came out before the one Chingy just released, and it's been working wonderfully for me. I think it's being referred to as MR 2.75- Great signal, not many data disconnections, hardly a reboot to speak of. I recently flashed Gingervitis 1.2 based on the new leak, and it has been running SO damn smooth for me with amazing battery life (with the included stock kernel, which I think is the only one that works right now), but the reboots and restarts have happened more frequently. Happened a lot during the first day I flashed (which I have come to accept as the ROM settling in and I always give it a few days), and has been happening less since, but still a few times I'll go to turn my screen on to realize the phone has shut itself off. I'm wondering, to those who have tried the brand-newest radio, how the reboots/restarts have been compared to whatever other radio you've used. Thanks!

#3 ·
I have had no issues with latest radio. I was one of theucky ones that never got random reboots regardless of radio. Chingy's latest has really sped up GPS lock for me. I can sit on my couch and get a 9 satellite lock in about 10-15 seconds. Network location also seems to be improved.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I answered "same" but frankly, none of the MR2-variety of radios have caused me reboots. I've ran them all heavily and I blame my reboots on the ROMs, kernels, and such. I have experienced several-day-uptimes with pretty much every radio. Clearly not yet ran the latest for several days yet but I have yet to have any unexplained reboots with it which has been par-for-the-course for my phone. (It's rock solid and loves low voltages as well.)

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm having the opposite experience. I'm also running Gingeritis 1.2, and I started off with the MR2 OTA radio.

Ran fine, no reboots, no problems at all for the first 36 hours. I then received my first random reboot.

Then I experienced two strange audio lockups. I received a text (I use Handcent). My phone vibrated, but did not play the notification tone. I pulled it out, hit the volume rocker to make sure the volume hadn't gotten turned down somehow, and it wasn't, it was at full. However, I didn't hear the boink noise it makes when you adjust volume. Then I went into settings, audio, and volume, and the phone froze. I was able to hold power and reboot. This happened twice in 30 minutes.

Later that evening, I went to wake my phone, and it was totally unresponsive. Even tried plugging in the charge cable and the LED didn't light. Pulled the battery, then it fired back up okay.

I decided to flash the leaked radio from the base this is built on to see if it fixed the problem. I experienced half a dozen random reboots in the meanwhile.

After flashing the radio, I rebooted. I had two voicemails left for me in the meantime, and it notified me upon booting back up. I deleted them, but couldn't get rid of the icon in the status bar, so I rebooted again. This time, it went past the boot animation, and when it would normally come up to the lock screen, it froze. Totally unresponsive, screen off, same as happened to me on the other radio. Pulled the battery, and it booted back up fine.

I've experienced at least 2-3 random reboots since this incident last evening. I really like this ROM, however it seems to be getting more unstable as time goes on. I'm pretty disappointed about it.

I'm thinking about perhaps wiping and reflashing to see if the problems return after some time. I should note that I haven't installed any of the MODs either.

Edit: I never received a random reboot, or any of the problems I've been experiencing on a stock rooted MR2 OTA ROM.

#12 ·
Misread the previous post, disregard.

#14 ·
I had one reboot running stock rooted MR1, zero reboots running the MR2 OTA with a stock rooted MR2 ROM, and several daily with the newest leaked radio and Gingeritis v1.2.

Sent from my ADR6400L using RootzWiki Forums

#17 ·
"androidbuff said:
random reboots etc.. are a thing of the past .. and if you still have it.. you have other problems. Random reboots disappeared after the leaked MR2 radio surfaced (a few months ago).
Ha.

#18 ·
@razor, his point is that if you are having reboots.. Look elsewhere before blaming the radio. It's a logical fallacy to attribute causality for every random reboot to the radio. There are other causes. I've also read on Twitter that some of the custom kernels have been broken by this latest GB release.

This post brought to you courtesy of SID 6.7 and Tapatalk

#19 ·
Aye. My reboots are ROM related, not radio related.

#24 ·
I've only ever had one reboot on my TB and that was the day I got it while it was reloading/downloading all my apps from my old phone. My dad had 4 or 5 reboot a day (we got them a at the exact same time) until he finally returned it 3 days later for a new one. He has not complained about reboot since then. So I voted less since technically it did do it once :)

Sent from my A500 using RootzWiki Forums

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.