Android OS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Supporting Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all... there's a litany of reasons why I am becoming fed up with them. I think it's probably time I consider making the full jump to Linux and go in a new direction. My questions are thus...

I know there are a few of you here that use Linux on Mac hardware... any drawbacks or are you getting pretty much full use? I've tried Ubuntu on my MacBook Pro a few times but felt it was a little unstable and not really solid for me as a DD... what's your take?

I have some past experiences with setting up Linux and I am no stranger to having to 'hack' something into operation but the primary reason I haven't made the switch is because Mac OS just works with no fuss... and I like that. The other reason is that I've sunk a great deal of money into applications (Office and CS3 primarily) I use frequently and the equivalents I have found in the past have not measured up. I also use Espresso for my web development work and as of yet, I haven't been able to find something in my trials that equals that. What are your favorites in Linux and how do they stack up against commercial packages?

Look, I'm no dummy... I can find a lot of tutorials and blog entries via a google search about switching from Mac to Linux but I want to get a variety of opinions about this and why not get them from a place where I know I can trust and value the feedback I'll get?

Thanks for your help! I certainly do appreciate it.

·
Banned
1,227 Posts
from what I've read in your post, it doesn't seem like a permanent switch would be beneficial... I have ubuntu set up on one of my macs.... go to it from time to time when I want to use an app that's only available on linux... Like you, I've put way too much cash into some apps and haven't been able to find anything that is even remotely in the same league. If you were on windows, I'd say make the jump...

^^ my two cents.

·
Supporting Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the feedback... turns out, I have a MBP that's actually deadski at the moment. It's still under AppleCare, fortunately enough. I don't think I could make a full-time switch at the moment after contemplating my situation but I think a graduated shift is probably what I could/should do. I have to use my netbook while the MBP is being repaired/replaced so, it seems to me that it might be a good idea to throw Ubuntu or something else on it for now (Have Windows on it at present).

·
News Team/Moderator
882 Posts
thanks for the feedback... turns out, I have a MBP that's actually deadski at the moment. It's still under AppleCare, fortunately enough. I don't think I could make a full-time switch at the moment after contemplating my situation but I think a graduated shift is probably what I could/should do. I have to use my netbook while the MBP is being repaired/replaced so, it seems to me that it might be a good idea to throw Ubuntu or something else on it for now (Have Windows on it at present).
Yeah, do that to the netbook. And when you get the MBP back -- just get you an Ubuntu VM you can play with. Best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Intellij IDEA ftw. They make a version for linux, windows and osx (you get a license that works on all three). If you only care about html/css/js/php, then their IDE focused only on that is reccomended (PHPstorm). They also make one for python called PyCharm. Intellij is just those + Java + Ruby + Android + a bunch of other stuff. There is also a community (opensource version) of Intellij, but it's Java + Android only. The options and features in Intellij might be content overload for you, so you may want to try PHPstorm first. Try the 30 day trial of it though and see if you like it. PHPStorm and intelij also have tons of plugins made by the community that are great.

Before that I used to use Aptana, PHPed over wine and Eclipse for Java on Linux, but Intellij beats them all as far as features, dedication to fixing bugs you submit and performance. They also have a very good customer feedback system, which sadly is hard to find for development tools at times.

The only complaint I have about it is they don't support bitmap fonts (as it's done in java and java has no support for bitmap fonts). Means I cannot use the bitmap version of the awesome Dina font for development, but I do use the TTF version instead.

If you're lucky enough to get it during a sale, it's typically 30-50% off.

Also far as which distro to use. I normally use Kubuntu (Ubuntu with KDE) or sometimes Debian + KDE with Testing repositories (so it constantly gets new updates). For servers, I use debian though.

Since you're an OSX convert, you may like Gnome or Unity better. KDE looks and feels similar to Windows 7.

My intellij setup (with custom syntax color themes):

1 - 5 of 5 Posts