Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Android Beginner
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Thunderbolt on launch day and worked with sense and ASOP roms, OMFGB and Cyanogen. When I flash an ASOP rom to my phone, I have random data disconnections. I have flashed all three gingerbread LTE radios and still experience the problem. When I switch back to a sense rom, the problems disappear.

It has been suggested to me that the data disconnections may be related to the network and not me in particular. It is possible, but I feel unlikely, because all of the occurrences of disconnection coincide with having an ASOP rom installed on the phone at the time.

I am open to all suggestions on how to solve the problem. I really would like to stick with an ASOP rom.

·
Supporting Member
188 Posts
cvance090685 said:
I purchased a Thunderbolt on launch day and worked with sense and ASOP roms, OMFGB and Cyanogen. When I flash an ASOP rom to my phone, I have random data disconnections. I have flashed all three gingerbread LTE radios and still experience the problem. When I switch back to a sense rom, the problems disappear.

It has been suggested to me that the data disconnections may be related to the network and not me in particular. It is possible, but I feel unlikely, because all of the occurrences of disconnection coincide with having an ASOP rom installed on the phone at the time.

I am open to all suggestions on how to solve the problem. I really would like to stick with an ASOP rom.
Is your data problem on 3G or 4G or both? Seeing how you mentioned LTE radios...I am assuming it's just 4G. Also...which specific radio's were you using/flashing? OMFGB and Cyanogen are based on ASOP...was your problem limited to a specific ROM?

·
Android Beginner
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Admann said:
Is your data problem on 3G or 4G or both? Seeing how you mentioned LTE radios...I am assuming it's just 4G. Also...which specific radio's were you using/flashing? OMFGB and Cyanogen are based on ASOP...was your problem limited to a specific ROM?
The problem is only for 4g, so excellent assumption.

I have tried the following LTE radios:
0.01.76.0703_2

The problem occurs with both Cyanogen and OMFGB.

·
Supporting Member
188 Posts
Are you sure these are Gingerbread kernels? Go to this link and try one of these radios...see if one of these works...

·
Android Beginner
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe that OMFGB ships with an ASOP kernel. By the off chance that you meant radio, according to the XDA post from which I pulled the files, they are gingerbread radios. I will try the one you suggested and report back.

·
i tend to break stuff
687 Posts
fixxxer2012 said:
same issues here, its something with the RIL in aosp. i just went back to sense today and all is well.
going to mess around again with 1.6.1 (coming from 1.7) if no luck il be flashing BAMF forever heard nothing but good things. only thing i hate that sense roms lack themes, the ones they have seem "childish" with all the colors and crazy icons. not a big fan of all that.

·
Android Apprentice
49 Posts
4g connectivity is better for me. Never been able to get connected only apartment, and several times now with cm7 and 2.11 radios I've connected and had data rates that are decent.

·
Android Apprentice
40 Posts
We just received 4G in our area here in Michigan today, and I can't seem to receive it either. I'm running CM7 RC1.7, but I switched back to sense just to see if it would fix and I still was only receiving 3G. My friend has a Charge (boo) and he is receiving 4G here now, so is there something wrong with my radio? I'm not sure which ones to try.

·
Supporting Member
188 Posts
"vinnycogs820 said:
We just received 4G in our area here in Michigan today, and I can't seem to receive it either. I'm running CM7 RC1.7, but I switched back to sense just to see if it would fix and I still was only receiving 3G. My friend has a Charge (boo) and he is receiving 4G here now, so is there something wrong with my radio? I'm not sure which ones to try.
I would start with the first sets of radios...give them a good try (week or so) and then try the others. But if you get good results on a specific set...I would stay on that.

Sent from my Feature phone

·
Supporting Member
188 Posts
"fixxxer2012 said:
same issues here, its something with the RIL in aosp. i just went back to sense today and all is well.
I've been running CM7 from day one...and I haven't had 4G issues on it...just remember every phone is different....try different radio's and see what works best for you.

·
Supporting Member
188 Posts
"vinnycogs820 said:
Thanks for the response! So by "first sets of radios" what set do you mean? Sorry I'm a little new to this :tongue2:
If you go to that link...there are several sets of Froyo and Gingerbread radios...flash the first set of Gingerbread radios....

·
Supporting Member
188 Posts
"jr4000watts90 said:
going to mess around again with 1.6.1 (coming from 1.7) if no luck il be flashing BAMF forever heard nothing but good things. only thing i hate that sense roms lack themes, the ones they have seem "childish" with all the colors and crazy icons. not a big fan of all that.
You can always try OMGB or OMFGB...there are a few good themes for them...

·
Former #1 troll.
1,465 Posts
Admann said:
I've been running CM7 from day one...and I haven't had 4G issues on it...just remember every phone is different....try different radio's and see what works best for you.

liquid confirmed the RIL is a bit jacked in cm7.

·
Android Apprentice
124 Posts
cvance090685 said:

i've had the same problem on cm7, with every leaked radio as they were released. i got used to toggling to get 4g back. cm7 is worth the added hassle, but i can't wait for these problems to be ironed out. is this why it hasnt been merged into the mainline yet?

·
Android Beginner
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Admann said:
Are you sure these are Gingerbread kernels? Go to this link and try one of these radios...see if one of these works...
I am still having the same problem with the radios you linked :(. I wonder if exchanging my SIM or my phone would fix anything. The reason I asked is that my girlfriend has a thunderbolt as well, but she is exhibiting the same problems, and it would probably be too coincidental for her to have a defective phone or sim as well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts