Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey jus wondering if anyone has had any problems with there /datadata folder being to full. It causes issues for force closing for google apps, browser, an the market. Maybe others as well.. Anyways is there a fix for this? I dont have that many apps only like 60 that includes system apps as well..

Im running CM7 with Glitch on a Mes.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated Thanks!

·
Android Apprentice
51 Posts
stalls said:
Hey jus wondering if anyone has had any problems with there /datadata folder being to full. It causes issues for force closing for google apps, browser, an the market. Maybe others as well.. Anyways is there a fix for this? I dont have that many apps only like 60 that includes system apps as well..

Im running CM7 with Glitch on a Mes.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated Thanks!
When /datadata fills up, things start to FC because this is where apps store their data. You can use diskusage (from the market) to find out which apps are taking up the most space. The easiest solution is to get rid of some apps, or you can try following this suggestion, but you'll be moving the data to slower memory.

·
Average Android
58 Posts
are you sure your partitions are right, check settings/storage, it will say 0.0 free if they got messed up, don't forget to clear data on the apps your having problems with in settings / applications / manage apps, 'all' tab select app / clear data

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a 32g card an its no where near full... Also my internal storage is not near full as well 1.53gb total space an 1.3gb free..

·
Android Apprentice
51 Posts
stalls said:
I got a 32g card an its no where near full... Also my internal storage is not near full as well 1.53gb total space an 1.3gb free..
/datadata is on the phone's internal memory, not the SD card. The partition should be only around 168MB. If you run "df -h /datadata" from a local terminal session, it will show you how much of that partition is free. For reference, mine is 155.8M used (93%) with 12.2M free.

The 1.3G/1.5G you referenced is probably the /data partition, not /datadata.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understood what that all meant... I guess I am lookin for a more concrete solution cuz I have already deleted all the apps that i dont use. Still keep fillin it up pretty fast

·
<3 my globalist tracking devices
84 Posts
Yeah I had that problem months ago. After talking to the guys on freenode (think even asked dfgas and jt), imnuts (I think, if I'm wrong who it was that told me this feel free to chime in) informed me that it would be most difficult to fix this problem

He showed me the section of code from jt's github that controls the partition table ... Looks very complicated to me and would definitely be work since /datadata WASN'T THERE!

Its too bad that over 85% of my internal was free but I was experiencing fc's. It seems like /data is far too large and should have some space given for /datadata.

Wish it was better news...my eventual fix was removing tons of apps ...like you I got rid of every app I didn't use and came up short so I had to delete useful spoofs to make do.

If you find a fix please do let us know though

·
Supporting Member
783 Posts
Is this effecting all builds of CM7 / MIUI? Or just certain ones. I just checked mine and have 80% free. I don't think I've had any issues with this at all and I'm running CM7 with Glitches kernel. Just makes me wonder.

Also I guess I should have mentioned I'm on a Mesmerize.

·
Android Apprentice
51 Posts
scarmon25 said:
Is this effecting all builds of CM7 / MIUI? Or just certain ones. I just checked mine and have 80% free. I don't think I've had any issues with this at all and I'm running CM7 with Glitches kernel. Just makes me wonder.
From what I've gathered from reading, it's an AOSP issue that doesn't exist with TouchWiz ROMs because, in AOSP, /datadata has its own partition in faster memory instead of the /data folder that is in slower memory, like on TW ROMs. It's a performance issue. That's also why /datadata's partition is so small.

·
MILF
678 Posts
On MTD ROMs, /data/data is symlinked to another partition (/datadata) for performance reasons. Since we have limited space on the nand, its size is what it is.

Easy fix:
Code:
<br />
adb reboot recovery<br />
adb shell<br />
rm /data/data<br />
mkdir /data/data<br />
cp -a /datadata/* /data/data<br />
That will keep everything on mmc, allowing you to use the full mmc space. It will stay that way until you wipe data.

This will never be changed upstream, as it would cause complications with existing installs and what-not, and is already part of the standardized partition scheme.

·
Supporting Member
783 Posts
Awesome. Thanks JT. Only one question. Is there a way to confirm the results from the above syntax took. Should I be looking for something specific once its been done.

·
Supporting Member
783 Posts
jt1134 said:
df -h

install an app

df -h
again

should show the new app's space being taken up in /data instead of /datadata
Awesome. So I used titanium to uninstall all user apps. Formatted datadata. Did the commands and restored and now datadata shows 1% full. Awesome man. Learned me some new tricks too ;)

·
Android Apprentice
397 Posts
"scarmon25 said:
Awesome. So I used titanium to uninstall all user apps. Formatted datadata. Did the commands and restored and now datadata shows 1% full. Awesome man. Learned me some new tricks too ;)
Have you noticed any performance differences since doing this?

·
Supporting Member
783 Posts
It seens some of my apps open a little quicker, but that could just be me. But I also wasn't having the issues some others were having. I had close to 127 MB free on /datadata. I did this more as a preventative measure.

·
Android Apprentice
397 Posts
"scarmon25 said:
It seens some of my apps open a little quicker, but that could just be me. But I also wasn't having the issues some others were having. I had close to 127 MB free on /datadata. I did this more as a preventative measure.
I'm not having that issue either I was curious though. I'm just sick of this low signal app closing. I wonder if it's related at all. I pulled a logcat after some popping and closing, but I don't know who to ask to check it out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ill say it made a difference for me! I dont have any apps force closing an yes it seems it could have helps thnigs run smoother... But it could because of my previous memory was at 300kb now im am more then golden 1.3G!

·
Android Beginner
4 Posts
jt1134 said:
On MTD ROMs, /data/data is symlinked to another partition (/datadata) for performance reasons. Since we have limited space on the nand, its size is what it is.

Easy fix:
Code:
<br />
adb reboot recovery<br />
adb shell<br />
rm /data/data<br />
mkdir /data/data<br />
cp -a /datadata/* /data/data<br />
Using the CWM that comes with the nightlies this doesnt work. When I end up in CWM, /data/data already exists as an empty directory and /datadata doesnt exist at all. Help please.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts