Android OS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Android Beginner
28 Posts
"fifreak said:
Using the CWM that comes with the nightlies this doesnt work. When I end up in CWM, /data/data already exists as an empty directory and /datadata doesnt exist at all. Help please.
Try mounting the various directories through CWM. That should fix it. Also, you will probably need to do "rm -rf /data/data"... I did

·
Problem Solver
319 Posts
The method above worked for me, I did do the "rm -rf /data/data" though. I also noticed a substantial improvement in Quadrant from the low 2000s to low to mid 3000s. I haven't made any other changes so this is the only thing I can attribute it to. Thanks JT for all your work guy.

·
Android Beginner
31 Posts
This worked great for me. Improved quadrant scores, solved the force closes, and now I don't get an insufficient storage error when I download the gun bros pack.

For the record, I was able to implement this fix with terminal emulator (followed by a fix permissions & a reboot).

·
The n00b veteran
775 Posts
I followed JT's instructions and have spent the last 2 hours trying to get my phone to boot, it was force close hell after doing his commands and then same after reinstalling miui and stuff. Had to do a data wipe.

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
"sageDieu said:
I followed JT's instructions and have spent the last 2 hours trying to get my phone to boot, it was force close hell after doing his commands and then same after reinstalling miui and stuff. Had to do a data wipe.
Did this last night and it worked great. Make sure to mount everything in recovery first.

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
Easy fix:
Code:
rm /data/data<br />
mkdir /data/data<br />
cp -a /datadata/* /data/data
That will keep everything on mmc, allowing you to use the full mmc space. It will stay that way until you wipe data. This will never be changed upstream, as it would cause complications with existing installs and what-not, and is already part of the standardized partition scheme.
for whatever reason my phone isn't detected in windows or linux on several pcs and different cables, the phone doesn't even show its connected usb anymore. i ran the last three commands as root using better terminal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
On MTD ROMs, /data/data is symlinked to another partition (/datadata) for performance reasons. Since we have limited space on the nand, its size is what it is.

Easy fix:
Code:
<br />
adb reboot recovery<br />
adb shell<br />
rm /data/data<br />
mkdir /data/data<br />
cp -a /datadata/* /data/data<br />
That will keep everything on mmc, allowing you to use the full mmc space. It will stay that way until you wipe data.

This will never be changed upstream, as it would cause complications with existing installs and what-not, and is already part of the standardized partition scheme.
I tried doing this in the Terminal Emulator and nothing worked. Explain it to me like I'm five, please. I'm pretty new at this and these weekly force close extravaganzas are getting on my nerves.

·
Supporting Member
170 Posts
I tried doing this in the Terminal Emulator and nothing worked. Explain it to me like I'm five, please. I'm pretty new at this and these weekly force close extravaganzas are getting on my nerves.
I have never tried to do this on Terminal Emulator only through adb, that being said.
"adb reboot recovery" > go to mounts and storage (in CM recovery options on your phone), mount /datadata & /data > then (on PC terminal) "adb shell" > "rm /datadata" > "mkdir /datadata" > " cp -a /datadata/* /data/data"
Then reboot phone > reboot recovery > wipe (format) /datadata > reboot phone =done Hope this helps

·
Android Beginner
31 Posts
If you are trying to perform the fix in terminal emulator, run the following commands:

su

rm /data/data

mkdir /data/data

chown system:system /data/data

This should apply the fix while preserving your apps and data. Your phone may act a bit janky, but if you fix permissions a couple of times (with a reboot or two in between) and wipe your dalvik everything should be fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are trying to perform the fix in terminal emulator, run the following commands:

su

rm /data/data

mkdir /data/data

chown system:system /data/data

This should apply the fix while preserving your apps and data. Your phone may act a bit janky, but if you fix permissions a couple of times (with a reboot or two in between) and wipe your dalvik everything should be fine.
I read about the datadata problem and the solutions mentioned here as well as in other places, but the problem I have with applying any of those is that I do not seem to have /datadata folder at all. It also is not listed within CWM recovery and not possible to mount, so mounting is not the issue. Following commands give me an error: No such file or directory. Am I the only person experiencing this?

·
Android Beginner
6 Posts
I read about the datadata problem and the solutions mentioned here as well as in other places, but the problem I have with applying any of those is that I do not seem to have /datadata folder at all. It also is not listed within CWM recovery and not possible to mount, so mounting is not the issue. Following commands give me an error: No such file or directory. Am I the only person experiencing this?
Are you sure you are running the commands as in a root session?

You can run df -h to list out all of the partitions on your device and their sizes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
On MTD ROMs, /data/data is symlinked to another partition (/datadata) for performance reasons. Since we have limited space on the nand, its size is what it is.

Easy fix:
Code:
<br />
adb reboot recovery<br />
adb shell<br />
rm /data/data<br />
mkdir /data/data<br />
cp -a /datadata/* /data/data<br />
That will keep everything on mmc, allowing you to use the full mmc space. It will stay that way until you wipe data.

This will never be changed upstream, as it would cause complications with existing installs and what-not, and is already part of the standardized partition scheme.
Can I please get a step-by-step instruction on how to apply this fix? I am very new to messing with adb, and I dont even fully understand what it is (I get the concept of it I just dont know how to access/use it).

Thanks, much appreciated!

·
Android Beginner
6 Posts
Can I please get a step-by-step instruction on how to apply this fix? I am very new to messing with adb, and I dont even fully understand what it is (I get the concept of it I just dont know how to access/use it).

Thanks, much appreciated!
adb is part of the Android SDK, in the platform-tools package. You run adb in a command/terminal window.
Then its just a matter of entering the commands in order.

If you want to know what the commands do, just google them!

·
Supporting Member
170 Posts
is there a trick to getting adb to work with ICS, i'm not having any luck
If you're on Windows you may have to ?Nexis? drivers. I'm not %100 sure that is the right phone drivers but Windows does not see it as the Mez on ICS. If you're on Linux it should just work.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

·
♥ Lights ♥
389 Posts
If you aren't familiar with ADB just use the app "cache cleaner ng". You can set it to run daily or however many times you want and it clears your apps cache.

Typing
Code:
df datadata
in terminal emulator will tell you if you have any free space in data/data. If it's low that is the cause of the force closes.

You can find which applications use most space with:

Code:
du -sk /data/data/* | sort -rn | head
TBH I hate adb. It's a bitch to install.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts