Android OS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Jaxidian said:
Ignore my mod status for a minute. Consider me an average Joe for this post. Rootzwiki's official opinion on this specific topic is not what I'm posting here but more a personal observation...
When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for them if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs, and that you know you can do these things.
The issue here, is that we have not received source code, therefore cannot redistribute.
 

·
Android Apprentice
Joined
·
35 Posts
"x02ssmarox said:
actually no, he's explicity requested that nobody do that. He's being greedy with this source code.
Yeah, reminds me of the Hero_Over days. Don't get me wrong, mad props to ziggy, but there's no need to be greedy over something that he got for FREE. Smh
 

·
Average Android
Joined
·
377 Posts
I feel like we have already been down this road just on a different site.

I would say if you have knowledge of how to pull the kernel for your personal use, enjoy.

Or if someone wants to do a write up explaining how to pull kernels in general, more power to you.

But I would not pull and post someone else's work without their permission. Just a good general guideline period.

Not even going touch on all the GPL and source arguments. The rest of you can argue those points if you want to.
 

·
Average Android
Joined
·
91 Posts
why would you even think of honoring his request when everything he does goes totally against the open source, and using anything that supports how he acts is just a snob nose to it also, if I had it I would post it all over the place!!!

brought to you with limited commercial interuptions
 

·
Android addict
Joined
·
96 Posts
Use the anykernel.zip from Ziggy, just pull the zimage from the boot image, plus the lib modules from the ROM, place in the correct folders within the anykernel.zip, you can do this within the phone using Astro so that you don't have to sign the zip again, flash and done! Wifi and everything works :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
 

·
Android Lover
Joined
·
1,260 Posts
Technically, since the kernel is being distributed (with gingeritis), with his permission, you are allowed to redistribute it.
 

·
Android Lover
Joined
·
582 Posts
I never said I wanted it. Don't get me wrongits a good kernel and I would probably flash it if it was available. I have no problem with using parts of other roms in your own, just give credit.
 

·
Fighting Fraud
Joined
·
267 Posts
"Ianxcom said:
I never said I wanted it. Don't get me wrongits a good kernel and I would probably flash it if it was available. I have no problem with using parts of other roms in your own, just give credit.
He does... What exactly is stolen from other roms. I don't see it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,348 Posts
Snow02 said:
Technically, since the kernel is being distributed (with gingeritis), with his permission, you are allowed to redistribute it.
I honestly wouldnt care about respecting the wishes of the kernel maker anyways. ziggy screws everyone over by not releasing the code under GPL like he is supposed to so why give him any respect? If anything I would redistribute it anywhere I can just for spite since he thinks he can ignore the rules of others and then make up his own and want people not to ignore them. When he gets around to playing by the rules, then we can respect his as well. Worst he can do is quit making the kernel, nothing else. If no one else wants to post the compiled kernel, I'll grab it and do it.

The mods he makes to the linux kernel are good and anyone that wants to use it, should. However, I can't really understand why anyone should give him any respect when he asks you not to redistribute the compiled kernel when he refuses to let the code be redistributed.
 

·
Android Apprentice
Joined
·
50 Posts
To me the messed up thing is all the source he is building from was provided by HTC/Linux/whoever because they followed the rules. Yet he seems to feel its ok not to follow those same rules. Maybe I misunderstand the whole idea of open source code. I was under the impression when you take the source from the community, and build with it you give back to that community by providing your source. Which in turn helps others out and allows the cycle to continue.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,348 Posts
JBO1018 said:
To me the messed up thing is all the source he is building from was provided by HTC/Linux/whoever because they followed the rules. Yet he seems to feel its ok not to follow those same rules. Maybe I misunderstand the whole idea of open source code. I was under the impression when you take the source from the community, and build with it you give back to that community by providing your source. Which in turn helps others out and allows the cycle to continue.
Yep, it should be that way and he doesn't own his kernel anymore than google owns it or htc (that is they don't). However, he wants to be a jerk about it so c'est la vie :(

Someone with hex rays ARM decompiler and a lot of spare time could reverse it and turn it back into more presentable code though, but that's definitely not me.
 

·
Android Apprentice
Joined
·
50 Posts
"yarly said:
Yep, it should be that way and he doesn't own his kernel anymore than google owns it or htc (that is they don't). However, he wants to be a jerk about it so c'est la vie :(

Someone with hex rays ARM decompiler and a lot of spare time could reverse it and turn it back into more presentable code though, but that's definitely not me.
So why is it ok to post ROMs with his kernel included but not his kernel in a stand alone form? I'm NOT taking a shot at anyone. I am sincerely curious about that and if its some sort of loophole or just a bass ackward policy.
 

·
Android Lover
Joined
·
582 Posts
"dstu03 said:
He does... What exactly is stolen from other roms. I don't see it
Ask skyraider. He said there are parts that are straight up copy and paste. I know one thing is the notification pulldown. Maybe more. I changed roms too quick.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,348 Posts
JBO1018 said:
So why is it ok to post ROMs with his kernel included but not his kernel in a stand alone form? I'm NOT taking a shot at anyone. I am sincerely curious about that and if its some sort of loophole or just a bass ackward policy.
I can only think people just don't know it comes with it is why no one complains.
 

·
Average Android
Joined
·
116 Posts
I've seen this Ziggy issue ramble on a few times before. Frankly, I think the guy is an ass and I'll tell you why. Unless you use Synergy and deal with their forum, he's nigh impossible to reach. What really gets my goat with that guy is his "uh... dunno if I wanna be GPL compliant or not" shtick. They guy has no legal right to claim ownership of his work under GPLv2; it's community property and his actions constitute blatant theft from the community. Ziggy has gone from "Don't wanna release my code so no more downloads" to "What the hell! Download away and screw the GPL that's allowed me this hobby!" to "I'm gonna be a freakin NAZI with my kernels and source because... well, because I CAN, and nobody is gonna stop me because I'm ZIGGY!" I think it's a bunch of crap and I'm not sure why his work is allowed to be distributed through ROMs since not one of those devs can provide source for the ROM they're distributing, directly in contradiction to the copy of GPLv2 that's integrated in every ROM I've ever seen (to satisfy the legal requirement a copy of the license be distributed with the work). If someone could answer that, I'd be real interested to know. Until then, I consider him a thief and the ROMs that include his kernel as warez.
 
21 - 40 of 102 Posts
Top