Android OS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Kernel Dev
897 Posts
I've tried to contact Ziggy numerous times, with no answer. My gtalk status is"Ziggy471, please contact me".

I may be showing him way too much respect because he was the one who taught me about kernels, but calling him an ass and a nazi or whatever else he has been called in this thread is wrong. Anyone who would take the time out and teach someone how to do kernels and give them sample code is anything but an ass.

He has been doing this long enough to know the rules, and if he is breaking the rules (after 30 years of Linux kernel development) he must have a better reason than "IM ZIGGY". Im Not saying he is right, I'm just saying that he must have a good reason.

Im really close with Ziggy and virus, so I will try to get some answers as to why he is withholding his code.

·
Banned
311 Posts
jdkoreclipse said:
I've tried to contact Ziggy numerous times, with no answer. My gtalk status is"Ziggy471, please contact me".

I may be showing him way too much respect because he was the one who taught me about kernels, but calling him an ass and a nazi or whatever else he has been called in this thread is wrong. Anyone who would take the time out and teach someone how to do kernels and give them sample code is anything but an ass.

He has been doing this long enough to know the rules, and if he is breaking the rules (after 30 years of Linux kernel development) he must have a better reason than "IM ZIGGY". Im Not saying he is right, I'm just saying that he must have a good reason.

Im really close with Ziggy and virus, so I will try to get some answers as to why he is withholding his code.
If you're really that close with Ziggy then you wouldn't have to be attempting to contact him numerous times with no response back.

I don't have much grounds to talk in this thread because I've never used, let alone seen, these ROMs by Synergy or stuff Ziggy has done. Although, I can tell you that if you take from the community, on what was provided to build (source, tools, guides, contributions, etc) ROMs, and refuse to contribute back so others can work on it too then its an act of greediness and in a form of stealing.

So what if someone takes your source code? They may add to it, tweak it, whatever but. It doesn't mean they get all the credit or their version will be 5 times better. The primary creator of these source codes are the ones who should be getting full credit. If you copy and paste from multiple source code and do nothing else then credit should go out to multpile creators. Not yourself. If you re-wrote the entire source code and made it a lot different from the original then yes, that's you doing the majority of the work but credit still goes out to the original creator for getting you started and you also get credit for re-writing and changing a lot from scrap. Copying and pasting without hardly any code being re-written is not meritting as credit to yourself.

Holding hostage to an open source code, that you did not create to begin with, is wrong. Even tweaking it slightly or copying and pasting and not redistributing it is wrong.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Average Android
116 Posts
jdkoreclipse said:

I don't think he has ANY reasons, much less good reasons, for acting like he does. He is a thief in violation of federal law. The guy should be prosecuted, not held up as a hero.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
You can always report him here, for what good it will do. They handle GPL violations and seek to mediate and end them. If enough complain, perhaps they will do something. However, since ziggy is an individual with not much to lose instead of a company, there's probably little chance much will come out of it.

What can I do if I encounter a GPL violation?

The gpl-violations.org project keeps track of reported GPL violations in its internal request tracking system. If you want to report an alleged violation, please write to [email protected], and make sure to ``enable --verbose mode'', i.e. include as much details a
http://gpl-violations.org/faq/violation-faq.html

·
My Foot Itches
211 Posts
Y don't u guys all stop whining?! Lean to build kernels on ur own, u r not entitled to anything ziggy has done before or will continue to do. It's a free country ppl don't follow the rules everyday...how many of u drive exactly the speed limit everyday?? None! Ur breaking the rules/laws on a daily basis, and u all come onto these forums high and mighty about some stupid cell phone codes?! Grow up!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Android addict
96 Posts
IMO his kernels are the best. It's not that hard to pull one from a Rom anyways, so why not just learn how? At some point if this beating continues he will move on to bigger better things and we'll lose his work. Really, it's easy to pull them, just use the android kitchen posted at the other site (start's with an X...you know which one) to extract the "zimage" and modules and put them on the anykernel.zip posted by Ziggy himself in the right folders. Flash and done!

·
Fighting Fraud
267 Posts
Not to stand up for Ziggy but he hasn't really broken any rules he is not distributing the kernel it is for his use. When its put in a Tom and distributed is when the source should be given.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
dstu03 said:
Not to stand up for Ziggy but he hasn't really broken any rules he is not distributing the kernel it is for his use. When its put in a Tom and distributed is when the source should be given.
Sure looks like he is distributing it himself to me without a ROM. It's also not about being able to pull the compiled kernel from a ROM, it's about ziggy doing what is right and releasing the source under the agreement anyone that downloads the Linux Kernel source is supposed to abide by (though obviously many do not). Without source, there would far less android modding going on and not nearly as useful.

·
Average Android
116 Posts
jimmydene84 said:
Y don't u guys all stop whining?! Lean to build kernels on ur own, u r not entitled to anything ziggy has done before or will continue to do. It's a free country ppl don't follow the rules everyday...how many of u drive exactly the speed limit everyday?? None! Ur breaking the rules/laws on a daily basis, and u all come onto these forums high and mighty about some stupid cell phone codes?! Grow up!

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong. The GPL explicitly entitles me, you, or anyone else, to anything he has done and may do in the future regarding the Linux kernel. You just don't get it. All he is entitled to is credit, his work belongs to the community, outright. I'm not making an issue out of this because I want his source. I make an issue out of this because the Android and Linux communities are eroded by idiots like Ziggy. Ziggy used the openness of the GPL to obtain his source from Imoseyon. Now that he's got his fix (because he clearly couldn't obtain source how Imoseyon did), he's gonna steal from this community. And you fools that defend his actions are defending the erosion of the Android community and the heart and soul of open source. Way to go!

Reactions: yarly

·
Kernel Dev
897 Posts
"dstu03 said:
Not to stand up for Ziggy but he hasn't really broken any rules he is not distributing the kernel it is for his use. When its put in a rom and distributed is when the source should be given.
^^this, to a degree.

And I'm not trying to hold Ziggy up as a hero, I just think that he should be shown more respect than you would show a shitty cm-kang dev or something like that.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
jimmydene84 said:
6 pages of debate over something as simple as a kernel source code...personally I think ziggys kernels r second to none and am glad I run it everyday in synergy :)

2 pages for me. increase your posts per page setting.

Ziggy is better than someone that just grabs something from someone else's ROM that has no idea how to even go about compiling a kernel or doing something that takes a bit of knowledge and so you can at least respect him for being halfway intelligent. However, he's worse than someone that does that in that he takes something that is always supposed to be community property and keeps it for himself without giving back. At least some kiddie that kangs from someone's ROM is only working with what was licensed to be listed as closed source if the creator chose it to be (under the apache license). Technically that kiddie is doing far less damage to the community, albeit he is still a lamer, but only annoying the one he kanged from, not the entire community (and not breaking the fundamentals of the linux philosophy).

Understandably, the people using the ROM based on his kernel would of course support and not care what ziggy does personally and perhaps consider an attack on him an attack on themselves vicariously. However, I don't think anyone would have a problem with ziggy if he just did what he should be doing, so this is just a debate over ethics, not the man. Is ziggy being ethical in his work? No. What will be done about it? Probably nothing, because those that could do something do not want to waste the time + money.

Also, ziggy could be sued for not posting the code under GPL, since it's a license violation (GPL has been upheld in courts before), but since there's basically no money at stake here, that obviously will not come to pass. Just stating that Ziggy has not done anything wrong and refusing to admit that is silly whether you are a fanboy of his work, average community member or GPL zealot.

Saying that one doesn't like what Ziggy does, then they should make their own kernel is nothing but specious and facetious reasoning. I could say at the same time that if Ziggy doesn't like the rules people made that came before him and put in thousands of hours into a kernel he put 1/100000 of the same time into, then he could make his own from a kernel that has a more permissive license like BSD or another UNIX variant and figure out how to make it work with Android. He's acting like the kid that jumps into a ball game and starts to change the rules after everyone else was playing and having a good time.

I don't see a problem with having this discussion (and debate) as long as we keep it civilized and don't start resorting to calling each other names or curse words. Nothing gets done without discussion and not everyone will always agree with with what is getting discussed, but hearing other viewpoints is a good thing (even if you do not agree with them).

·
Average Android
116 Posts
"Talk is cheap, show me the code" -Linus Torvalds

The above is an excellent answer to a variety of questions.

I'd like to toss this rhetorical question out there for contemplation regarding Ziggy's work. Is it reasonable to suspect Ziggy's kernels wouldn't be GPL compliant even if he released source code on them? As in, they contain code covered under non-GPL licences. One could make all kinds of wild speculation regarding Ziggy's work. Does he rip off code from copyrighted sources? Does he rip off code from sources inside the DoD? Who knows? It's really anyone's guess what's in there.

I really can't agree with the above poster more. I don't have anything against any of the ROM devs that use his crap, but they don't earn respect points for their choices. It's a shame so few grasp the crime that's being committed here. It's even more shameful that some would defend it. You folks belong on iOS, WP7/8, or BREW.

·
Android Aficionado
412 Posts
+1. I've heard good things about his kernel, but refuse to use it as long as he is in violation of the GPL. Imoseyon was one of the first kernel devs for th TBolt, and his GPL compliance (combined with that of other devs) led to other great kernels now available for TBolt. I'm not telling anyone what to do here, but simply stating my opinion.

·
Average Android
116 Posts
Imoseyon is where Ziggy got his source. Ziggy seems to be having some issues with lag, too. If you haven't tried Imoseyon's 3.7.0 kernel, you really MUST. It's so responsive it's practically psychic.

·
Android Aficionado
412 Posts
"loonatik78 said:
Imoseyon is where Ziggy got his source. Ziggy seems to be having some issues with lag, too. If you haven't tried Imoseyon's 3.7.0 kernel, you really MUST. It's so responsive it's practically psychic.
If you mean 3.6.0, yes, that kernel is blazing for me. Just haven't updated my signature yet as I'm on my tab at the car dealership getting work done ;-)

·
Average Android
116 Posts
tbhall77 said:
Source code (git) link is at bottom of his web page http://www.ziggy471.com/.

http://git.ziggy471.com/

Last thread I read over on xda complaining about it was it wasn't up to date. If its such an issue to some of you and he is as bad as some of you say then contact the Free Software Foundation.

Your link isn't up to date either. Take a look at it. That stuff is from back in May and it's a completely different branch. That's source for 2.2 kernels.

41 - 60 of 102 Posts