Android OS Forum banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
tbhall77 said:
Source code (git) link is at bottom of his web page http://www.ziggy471.com/.

http://git.ziggy471.com/

Last thread I read over on xda complaining about it was it wasn't up to date. If its such an issue to some of you and he is as bad as some of you say then contact the Free Software Foundation.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
As mentioned, not up to date and who says I didn't already contact them? :)

That's all aside the point though. The discussion is to raise community awareness, since as the thread shows, many have no idea about what is going on.

·
Developer
573 Posts
yarly said:
As mentioned, not up to date and who says I didn't already contact them? :)

That's all aside the point though. The discussion is to raise community awareness, since as the thread shows, many have no idea about what is going on.
FSF doesn't have time or resources to handle two bit nobodys like ziggy or any hobby dev.

For all the people who support ziggy blindly: Allow me to add this.

Where would we be today if manufacturers pulled the same the crap and didn't release source. Think about it for a while.

·
Developer
573 Posts
jdkoreclipse said:
I've tried to contact Ziggy numerous times, with no answer. My gtalk status is"Ziggy471, please contact me".

I may be showing him way too much respect because he was the one who taught me about kernels, but calling him an ass and a nazi or whatever else he has been called in this thread is wrong. Anyone who would take the time out and teach someone how to do kernels and give them sample code is anything but an ass.

He has been doing this long enough to know the rules, and if he is breaking the rules (after 30 years of Linux kernel development) he must have a better reason than "IM ZIGGY". Im Not saying he is right, I'm just saying that he must have a good reason.

Im really close with Ziggy and virus, so I will try to get some answers as to why he is withholding his code.
Are those your words, or his? Because....Linux is 19 (technically 20) years old, and no variant of Unix was ever open source before that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

Oh and to show the power of open source, I give a gift of historical value.

Kernel source for the original Linux 0.01 kernel from 1992 :D

http://www.multiupload.com/4XPKGUG67F

·
Average Android
91 Posts
grrrrr...... attack adr attack,people ziggy deserves no respect at all,he can keep his junk all he wants but he shouldnt complain when others take it and use it cause it aint his to start with

brought to you with limited commercial interuptions

·
Average Android
116 Posts
jdkoreclipse said:
I've tried to contact Ziggy numerous times, with no answer. My gtalk status is"Ziggy471, please contact me".

I may be showing him way too much respect because he was the one who taught me about kernels, but calling him an ass and a nazi or whatever else he has been called in this thread is wrong. Anyone who would take the time out and teach someone how to do kernels and give them sample code is anything but an ass.

He has been doing this long enough to know the rules, and if he is breaking the rules (after 30 years of Linux kernel development) he must have a better reason than "IM ZIGGY". Im Not saying he is right, I'm just saying that he must have a good reason.

Im really close with Ziggy and virus, so I will try to get some answers as to why he is withholding his code.
Still waiting on the reasoning as to why Ziggy screws the community. I'm gonna guess he's doing exactly what I suggested: being impossible to reach on the subject.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Adrynalyne said:
I have the Linux 0.99 source if anyone wants it as well :D
LOL, that made my night.

I'm hoping Linus does a version 3.1.4

·
Kernel Dev
897 Posts
"Adrynalyne said:
Are those your words, or his? Because....Linux is 19 (technically 20) years old, and no variant of Unix was ever open source before that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

Oh and to show the power of open source, I give a gift of historical value.

Kernel source for the original Linux 0.01 kernel from 1992 :D

http://www.multiupload.com/4XPKGUG67F
He has told me 30 years. I'm girding he MEANT to say 30 years of programming.

·
Average Android
116 Posts
jdkoreclipse said:
He has told me 30 years. I'm girding he MEANT to say 30 years of programming.
Yeah... Probably worked on UNIX systems like my dad did and used to ride a dinosaur to the warehouse it took to contain the computer. I don't really care if he worked on machines with thermionic valves; Ziggy is a thief. I don't have a problem with you, but I will pick a bone with anyone defending Ziggy's cowardly ways. Some of you brag you're running a ROM with Ziggy's "legendary" kernel. I think that's stupid. Why don't you just put in your signature "I'm all for destroying the Open Source community!" I also think that's stupid because I haven't run one of his kernels in the last 3 months that wasn't a world class heap of crap. The one he was dishing out to Virus and Chingy around that time had governors so poorly tuned you could barely type into a field on a web page. And for reasons I can't explain, you can't fix them! His "lagfree" governor is anything but. No matter what I did to that governor, I couldn't get the lag out. A few nights ago I went to Imoseyon's 3.7.0 kernel and found that his smartass acted like it should. In fact, it was so free of lag I was able to adjust the governor to act much more conservatively and STILL see no lag! Where I did have issues was with the swap, but a few tweaks to a script ironed that right out.

I point this out because Imoseyon's kernel (on Sense) should be the choice of those who give a hoot about the GPL. The popularity of Ziggy's kernel, in my opinion, reflects the mindset that ultimately led to the community breakdown at XDA. It's a mindset of "Just gimme the goods; to hell with rules, law, right and wrong, respect, and the community! Just GIMME, GIMME GIMME!!!". It's not the job of mods to weed out this sickness. It's a choice Android users should be making. And if you're content with how Ziggy does business, please move along to WP7 or BlackBerry or iFone. We don't want you or need you.

·
Average Android
116 Posts
villae81 said:
Can someone explain to me what is an open source community, gpl, and what the hell did this Ziggy character did?
Good question! It's a question a LOT more Android users should be asking. I'm happy to answer...

The Open Source community can be summed up as a community of developers and users that believe in and practice leaving source code open to the end user, and volunteering any source they may alter back to the community in an effort to foster evolution of the code. In effect, it's communal development. GPL stand for General Public License, and is a form of copyleft, as opposed to copyright, of software, and explicitly lays out the legal nature of the material that it addresses. The GPL is the foundation of Open Source.

Android, which is covered under the Apache licence, is powered by the Linux kernel. In order to remain compliant with Apache, compliance with the GPL must be adhered to. Ziggy develops Linux kernels for Android. Under GPLv2, two requirement must be met to develop any Linux kernel. First, source code must be provided upon request, and second, a copy of the GPLv2 must accompany and distribution of Linux. The second condition is met because Android comes with a copy of the GPL in the "About Phone..." section of "Settings". The first condition, providing source code, must be met by the developer.

Ziggy has not released source for any of his kernels in roughly 4 months, and has never released source for the gingerbread branch he's been working on. This puts him wildly outside the legal bounds of the GPL. His actions are criminal in the truest sense of the word. But the greater issue has to do with his theft from the community. The effect the GPL has on Linux is to make the source code legal community property. Nobody has any personal right to it, whether they wrote it or not. Ziggy conducts himself as though it IS his property, to decide who does and doesn't get it, and who's allowed to use it. This is simply wrong. Ziggy KNOWS this. Unfortunately, too few people understand what the GPL is, what the Apache license is, how they've influenced the Android community. In short, there would be no Android development community like we know it if it weren't for the GPL and the Apache licence. AOSP would NEVER have been born.

·
Fighting Fraud
267 Posts
"loonatik78 said:
Good question! It's a question a LOT more Android users should be asking. I'm happy to answer...

The Open Source community can be summed up as a community of developers and users that believe in and practice leaving source code open to the end user, and volunteering any source they may alter back to the community in an effort to foster evolution of the code. In effect, it's communal development. GPL stand for General Public License, and is a form of copyleft, as opposed to copyright, of software, and explicitly lays out the legal nature of the material that it addresses. The GPL is the foundation of Open Source.

Android, which is covered under the Apache licence, is powered by the Linux kernel. In order to remain compliant with Apache, compliance with the GPL must be adhered to. Ziggy develops Linux kernels for Android. Under GPLv2, two requirement must be met to develop any Linux kernel. First, source code must be provided upon request, and second, a copy of the GPLv2 must accompany and distribution of Linux. The second condition is met because Android comes with a copy of the GPL in the "About Phone..." section of "Settings". The first condition, providing source code, must be met by the developer.

Ziggy has not released source for any of his kernels in roughly 4 months, and has never released source for the gingerbread branch he's been working on. This puts him wildly outside the legal bounds of the GPL. His actions are criminal in the truest sense of the word. But the greater issue has to do with his theft from the community. The effect the GPL has on Linux is to make the source code legal community property. Nobody has any personal right to it, whether they wrote it or not. Ziggy conducts himself as though it IS his property, to decide who does and doesn't get it, and who's allowed to use it. This is simply wrong. Ziggy KNOWS this. Unfortunately, too few people understand what the GPL is, what the Apache license is, how they've influenced the Android community. In short, there would be no Android development community like we know it if it weren't for the GPL and the Apache licence. AOSP would NEVER have been born.
This post should be stickied and put in its own thread

61 - 80 of 102 Posts