Android OS Forum banner
101 - 102 of 102 Posts

·
Android Addict
575 Posts
"yarly said:
If Ziggy built his own kernel from the ground up (without taking from the linux kernel) or modified a kernel source that used a more permissive license (such as on of the bsd/unix variants which fall under a license similar to the one the Android OS [sans kernel] uses), which would be way too much work), then he could close off everything and give nothing back if he did not feel like it.

HTC, Moto, et al. do not have to give back their modifications to the Android OS source (not to be confused with the kernel), which is modders have to work with the compiled libraries when they mod Sense and other Frameworks that come on the non-nexus phones.
Really? Ha! I guess I misunderstood everything then. When somebody say I got an android phone I automatically assume its open source and nobody will say shit what he does with that phone for example Motorola locking their bootloader nobody can do anyrhing Coz is open source and its their phone their product! Man I'm such a dumbass

·
Android Apprentice
50 Posts
"villae81 said:
I didn't say android is gpl I said its open source so it falls under gpl law. You don't like to build your own so you'll pay a company to build you one which is supposedly free is that what your saying ? Lets say Ziggy is that company making this os for your phone would you still rant about him being a thief or not Coz he's got his own pretty logo like HTC Motorola etc.
HTC, Moto, whoever are REQUIRED to release their source for the Linux kernel used in Android for every phone they make. The community tends to be very vocal about this when they are slow about releasing their source. Nothing different is going on here except that Ziggy isn't just being slow about it. He seems to be outright refusing to release his source. Also because Ziggy is not a big profitable corporation he likely won't get in any serious trouble over it like an Android manufacturer would. Not that he shouldn't but that is just the way of the world and it most certainly doesn't make it ok.

When you buy an Android phone you are paying for the hardware, the countless hours that went into developing that hardware, and the specific, typically customized, build of Android that comes with it.

101 - 102 of 102 Posts