Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all if you don't know what Project Cheesecake read the first post in this thread
HTML:
http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?4844-Unlock-Droid-Bionic-Bootloader-Project
Basically I see that there are two options for unlocking the Bionic's bootloader; 1. Getting our hands on a "special" SBF and/or XML.ZIP file that unlocks the bootloader for us or 2. Pulling random update files from Moto's dev site by modifying the server and method the device gets the OTA updates from in its system files, then ripping them apart to see if it can unlock a retail unit.

Option 2 is Project Cheesecake in a nutshell. I personally haven't checked my system for the files this post lists (because I'm not on Blur currently.) But before I do any of this I need confirmation from a serious expert that its available to our beloved Droid X.

·
Android Apprentice
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I figured out how to do this on the DX since I switched back to blur the proper folders and files needed to be created in /system/etc/motorola. I inputed the needed parameters in the xmls and wallah! My device is properly scanning the server now instead of saying system update is not available.

·
Android Nut
2,611 Posts
"hoodlum47 said:
Update: I figured out how to do this on the DX since I switched back to blur the proper folders and files needed to be created in /system/etc/motorola. I inputed the needed parameters in the xmls and wallah! My device is properly scanning the server now instead of saying system update is not available.
Did you get to the point where it asks you to login?

·
Android Apprentice
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
razorloves said:
Did you get to the point where it asks you to login?
Actually, I already pulled an update from one of the listed servers, the weird thing is is that when it asked me to download it the build number was .605 but the filename says .602 still. Plus it's only around 8MB in size so I doubt it contains anything useful, therefore I am NOT flashing it.

·
Android Apprentice
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
linuxtrance said:
What is the filename?
The filename is "Blur_Version.4.5.602.MB810.Verizon.en.us.zip" and that's the same as the latest OTA update, but when I was prompted to download it it said 605 in 602's place plus it is about 3MB smaller than the OTA update so something has to be different.

·
Android Lover
411 Posts
You could always SBF if you can't root it... right?

Also, could someone whip up a script to do (and undo) the data_wifi_only_settings.mkitso & the two defaults.xml's edits? I'll run through this gladly if I don't have to go in and use root explorer and unreliable android copy+paste to edit the files :x

·
Android Apprentice
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Snow02 said:
Want to make it flashable in cwm and stay rooted?
Okay... I forgot to mention that I AM NOT a developer of any kind, that's why I would really appreciate Kenneth (on this forum, he started the Bionic part of this) to look at the file and see if it's even useful in any way. Bt my ultimate goal is to provide a file that can lead to the unlocking of the X's bootloader ( don't get your hopes up though.)

·
Android Apprentice
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
'[TSON said:
;106127']You could always SBF if you can't root it... right?

Also, could someone whip up a script to do (and undo) the data_wifi_only_settings.mkitso & the two defaults.xml's edits? I'll run through this gladly if I don't have to go in and use root explorer and unreliable android copy+paste to edit the files :x
That's true but about your script proposal, data_wifi_only_settings.mkitso doesn't exist on the X and no files I have looked through have the required string to edit, however I got it working fine without this,all the while within Root Explorer btw ;)

·
Linux Dude
138 Posts
Snow02 said:
Want to make it flashable in cwm and stay rooted?
I am most likely going try it as update.zip, since it's probably signed. I have an extra X atm that is unrooted (that's why I'm going to sacrifice it), on .602. But, I would certainly be interested in how to do that.

·
Linux Dude
138 Posts
hoodlum47 said:
Okay... I forgot to mention that I AM NOT a developer of any kind, that's why I would really appreciate Kenneth (on this forum, he started the Bionic part of this) to look at the file and see if it's even useful in any way. Bt my ultimate goal is to provide a file that can lead to the unlocking of the X's bootloader ( don't get your hopes up though.)
I am also not a developer. I just like to break stuff :tongue3:

·
Android Lover
1,260 Posts
linuxtrance said:
I am most likely going try it as update.zip, since it's probably signed. I have an extra X atm that is unrooted (that's why I'm going to sacrifice it), on .602. But, I would certainly be interested in how to do that.
Go for it. Let me know how it goes. You can always sbf back.

·
Android Apprentice
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
anrichardson said:
What would be the chances of it unlocking the bootloader itself?
On its own? very slim to none. However leaked experimental updates like these sometimes contain the magic stuff that unlocks bootloaders, it just isn't automatic. It's basically the same situation that the Atrix and Photon once had and that the Bionic currently has

·
Android Lover
1,260 Posts
hoodlum47 said:
On its own? very slim to none. However leaked experimental updates like these sometimes contain the magic stuff that unlocks bootloaders, it just isn't automatic. It's basically the same situation that the Atrix and Photon once had and that the Bionic currently has
The problem is the X uses a different bootloader solution. Work on those phones isn't applicable.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts