Android OS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone is working hard and waiting for the android port to come to the touchpad. My question is every time a new tablet comes out there's different hardware a different type of port to be done. Would it not be more beneficial to create a program that recognizes different hardware and boots up accordingly like say a windows program for a pc. This way all you would have to do is update the program and drivers. You can even include an android emulator for the apps. With all the different tablets and software running around seems to me that whoever can make third party software able to run on any tablet with an android emulator on it would make it rich.

I don't know if something like this is even possible yet.(what you guys think)

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After thinking about it a bit more, the program can be pc based and what it would do is scan the tablet and the hardware prepare an OS with correct drivers then installs the port of the OS. Again not sure if possible.

·
Android Apprentice
13 Posts
The short answer is it doesn't work that way.

The long answer is windows boots on a wide variety of hardware because the hardware industry has built-in the ability for its devices to work with very general drivers, which Windows uses until you install your more specific ones. Mobile and Tablet hardware doesn't have that to the same extent. Every time new hardware comes out, new drivers have to be written or gotten by other means or it will never function.

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
By creating the program on the pc to detect the hardware on the tablet would that not solve the problem? I ask because it seems that when tablets for different makers come out they use similar hardware. So all that would need to be updated is the pc program and drivers. Then again I am no programmer so I thought the idea would be a cool idea. I guess what messes that up would be how everything loads up. Kind of like when everyon was working on figuring out the dump file. I guess every tablet is different in that way.

·
Android Apprentice
13 Posts
You can't just pull drivers out of thin air though. That's where the problem lies. Drivers take a long time to source.

Beyond that, its a logistical challenge because the PC wouldn't have anyway of knowing the hardware inside of the devices.

·
Average Android
58 Posts
What he said. How do you poll the system at the hardware level from a PC when the tablet is already past POST by the time the PC sees it and all it can do I gain limited access through the USB port?

I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm asking how it could be possible.

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bounce said:
What he said. How do you poll the system at the hardware level from a PC when the tablet is already past POST by the time the PC sees it and all it can do I gain limited access through the USB port?

I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm asking how it could be possible.
well for example you plug an iPhone up to itunes it will tell you what type of phone with how much space. When you run system info on a pc it scans your computer tells you your hardware. I thought program could be made that would scan pad through USB and give you a list of your hardware.

I am no programmer but I thought it might be possible.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
If it was that easy, it would have been done already. Sorry to kill the fun of exploring new possibilities but it simply doesn't happen that way. For example, you can have two devices. Each one uses the same build of Android. Each one uses the same Wi-Fi chipset. Can you just copy the .KO (driver) from one system to another and have it work? Not going to happen. There are too many other factors in play as well such as the design and incorporation of the SoC and other physical modules like Bluetooth, GPS, etc. To reiterate, if it was that simple, it would have been done already.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts