Android OS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Editor
Joined
·
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DX is getting long in the tooth and is starting to have some issues. There's a permanently bright spot (not stuck pixels, just overbright) on the screen and the hardware bottom buttons require two or three presses to work sometimes. My next upgrade isn't due until late April 2012 and the one year warranty on my DX ended two weeks ago.

I'm thinking of adding a line and swapping the new phone to my main line. I know this is possible if you order via VZW, but not with Amazon Wireless or Wirefly. Verizon's per-phone price is higher than AW and WF and that makes this move a little prohibitive. Is there a potential price break coming to the older LTE phones now that the newer ones are arriving? Is there another reseller that will do add-a-line upgrades that has more reasonable prices?

Thanks for your help.
 
G

·
Ashg said:
My DX is getting long in the tooth and is starting to have some issues. There's a permanently bright spot (not stuck pixels, just overbright) on the screen and the hardware bottom buttons require two or three presses to work sometimes. My next upgrade isn't due until late April 2012 and the one year warranty on my DX ended two weeks ago.

I'm thinking of adding a line and swapping the new phone to my main line. I know this is possible if you order via VZW, but not with Amazon Wireless or Wirefly. Verizon's per-phone price is higher than AW and WF and that makes this move a little prohibitive. Is there a potential price break coming to the older LTE phones now that the newer ones are arriving? Is there another reseller that will do add-a-line upgrades that has more reasonable prices?
As long as the device is compatible with Verizon's network (which I'm assuming is the case), you can just call VZW or go into the store to have the phone switched to your main line. All they'll do is move your Droid X to the additional line you purchased and move the new phone to your main line. Since VZW utilizes CDMA instead of GSM (sim cards and stuff), they can do it on the fly. I've moved around phones before without any issues. I've never purchased a phone from Wirefly or Amazon before, but I don't see why VZW wouldn't be able to switch the phones out since they're both on their carrier.
 

·
Editor
Joined
·
876 Posts
swiftmazda said:
As long as the device is compatible with Verizon's network (which I'm assuming is the case), you can just call VZW or go into the store to have the phone switched to your main line. All they'll do is move your Droid X to the additional line you purchased and move the new phone to your main line. Since VZW utilizes CDMA instead of GSM (sim cards and stuff), they can do it on the fly. I've moved around phones before without any issues. I've never purchased a phone from Wirefly or Amazon before, but I don't see why VZW wouldn't be able to switch the phones out since they're both on their carrier.
I've done the upgrade dance many times, just with cheaper phones bought off of friends or eBay.

The problem with Amazon and Wirefly is that their systems work independently of VZW but still check ESNs of phones but from them. I can do manual phone switching without issue or take it in to a Corp store and have them do it, but when Amazon and Wirefly run their account checks and find a changed ESN within the first six months then it's close to a $350 penalty. Even if you add a line and move the phone to your primary number so it's still on your account, you're hit with the $350 charge. That penalty is what I'm trying to avoid. I already have a dumb phone ready to drop on the new number (and plan on turning my X into a glorified MP3 player/PDA), I just need a less expensive upgrade route that won't jack my wallet for using the phone on a different number on my account.
 
G

·
Ashg said:
I've done the upgrade dance many times, just with cheaper phones bought off of friends or eBay.

The problem with Amazon and Wirefly is that their systems work independently of VZW but still check ESNs of phones but from them. I can do manual phone switching without issue or take it in to a Corp store and have them do it, but when Amazon and Wirefly run their account checks and find a changed ESN within the first six months then it's close to a $350 penalty. Even if you add a line and move the phone to your primary number so it's still on your account, you're hit with the $350 charge. That penalty is what I'm trying to avoid. I already have a dumb phone ready to drop on the new number (and plan on turning my X into a glorified MP3 player/PDA), I just need a less expensive upgrade route that won't jack my wallet for using the phone on a different number on my account.
Ouch! I didn't realize that they did such a practice. Honestly, the $350 charge sounds like a load of crap, and I'd probably stay far away from it. That's really not a good business practice at all (well, it is for them). In your case, it sounds like it might be worthwhile to just eat the slightly higher cost and go through VZW. You could always consider getting a refurbished smartphone through VZW since the cost for those is significantly lower. Their refurbished products really aren't that bad either.
 

·
Android or Die
Joined
·
290 Posts
"Ashg said:
I've done the upgrade dance many times, just with cheaper phones bought off of friends or eBay.

The problem with Amazon and Wirefly is that their systems work independently of VZW but still check ESNs of phones but from them. I can do manual phone switching without issue or take it in to a Corp store and have them do it, but when Amazon and Wirefly run their account checks and find a changed ESN within the first six months then it's close to a $350 penalty. Even if you add a line and move the phone to your primary number so it's still on your account, you're hit with the $350 charge. That penalty is what I'm trying to avoid. I already have a dumb phone ready to drop on the new number (and plan on turning my X into a glorified MP3 player/PDA), I just need a less expensive upgrade route that won't jack my wallet for using the phone on a different number on my account.
Wow. I didn't know this either. I'll be sure to spread this word to my friends.

Sent from my Root Stick using Black RootzWiki Forums
 

·
Average Android
Joined
·
262 Posts
Ashg said:
I've done the upgrade dance many times, just with cheaper phones bought off of friends or eBay.

The problem with Amazon and Wirefly is that their systems work independently of VZW but still check ESNs of phones but from them. I can do manual phone switching without issue or take it in to a Corp store and have them do it, but when Amazon and Wirefly run their account checks and find a changed ESN within the first six months then it's close to a $350 penalty. Even if you add a line and move the phone to your primary number so it's still on your account, you're hit with the $350 charge. That penalty is what I'm trying to avoid. I already have a dumb phone ready to drop on the new number (and plan on turning my X into a glorified MP3 player/PDA), I just need a less expensive upgrade route that won't jack my wallet for using the phone on a different number on my account.
Ok that really sucks a big one. But there's another aspect I'd like to find out about. I bought the Droid Charge knowing there'd be better phones coming soon just so I could get unlimited data before the change to tiered data came. The software in the Charge sucked so I flashed some custom software onto it and turned it into a really nice phone which I like a lot.

The problem is I'd like to have a second phone so I could always have a back-up in case I bork my phone. I'm planning to upgrade to the next "latest greatest" custom rom from the GummyCharged developers as soon as it goes final. Knowing me I'll probably always be doing stuff like that. Can I add a second line onto my unlimited data plan or will the new line have to be tiered? Tiered data is totally unacceptable. All it would take to go way over 2 GB is a few hours on Netflix in a month.

Also, about that penalty, If you wait til after 6 months to get another phone from another supplier can you get a second phone without being penalized? I guess I can believe Verizon would do something crappy like that to loyal customers that have been with them for years. Assholes. The only reason I put up with Verizon at all is because they truly have the best coverage. There's no way I'll have a phone that I can't use anywhere I happen to be without roaming charges. I've had phones that lost signal in the past.

The reason I don't want to go to Verizon to get another phone, besides the price, is because they'll probably find out I rooted my phone.
 

·
Android Beginner
Joined
·
7 Posts
If you are willing to add a line to your account then go to Best Buy and make them match the price of Wirefly/Amazon or whoever and then you get the cheap price you want. Then you can have Best Buy swap the phone numbers for you while you are there. You can also pay Best Buy an additional fee so they will buy your phone back in 6 months for half the retail cost then you can take the money and buy the next cool phone that comes out in six months for about what Verizon would charge you for a new phone.

I did this when LTE came out. I added a line, bought a Thunderbolt and got the buy back deal. I also signed up for their $9.95/month insurance and well that was the best money I ever spent. My destroyed my screen and had to have the phone replaced after 3 months. BB replaced the phone in 2 days and it didn't cost me any additional money. Much better deal that Verizon's insurance plan I think. So I will be able to go get the Droid/Nexus Prime when they release it and Best Buy will give me $350 for my Thunderbolt. And if the new phone is $600 or less then I get it for $250 instead of the $299 that I'm sure Verizon will charge. Oh, and I made Best Buy match Amazon's price at the time and saved about $80 off Verizon's price at the time.

And no I don't work for BB, I don't even really like BB, but when I can get a deal I will go to BB, but only when I can get a deal do I go to BB.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top