Android OS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Your trusted friend in science
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw that announcement (http://rootzwiki.com/forum-230/announcement-19-the-all-new-developer-indoc-program/) and I could not find any further explanations.

First of all, what is that? Is that just an updated, more precise list of what is expected from any developer here on RW or something like the Elite Dev thingy on XDA - just with some transparent rules and without the embarrassingly douchy sounding title?

Also I got some questions regarding certain points:

Sec One I.B. All work must fall under the General Public License v3 and have legitimate source available.
Failure to provide proof of compliance with the GPL v3 and other standard governing principles upon request will result in reconsideration of both developer and forum membership statuses.

(Note: the Linux and Android kernels are under the GPL v2.)
Does that only apply to derived work which was under the GPL before or also for derived work that originally was under a different license (like the Android OS). So, do have ROM devs to change the license from the Apache License to GPL for their ROM code? What about original not-derived work that is posted? What about paid applications?

Sec Two A. Physical Benefits
Endorsed members may have their work hosted by Goo.im.

In case this is something like the Elite Dev program on XDA, does that mean all other 'normal' developers will get their content removed from goo.im?

Sec Three D. Behavior and Representation
RootzWiki endorsed members are expected to represent themselves and the site with the highest possible character and behavior.
Inappropriate actions outside of RootzWiki that negatively affects the reputation of the offending member or the site as a whole that is reported in a verifiable manner will dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

There is no single human being on this planet that always represent himself/herself with the highest possible character and behavior.

Also does the RW staff not have better things to do than handling complaints above this or that post a dev made on Twitter/G+/FB or some other place outside of RW? You say you do not want to be the moral police. Well, if these two points are actually enforced you are - essentially about the entire virtual social life of these people.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
B. All work must fall under the General Public License v3 and have legitimate source available.
Failure to provide proof of compliance with the GPL v3 and other standard governing principles upon request will result in reconsideration of both developer and forum membership statuses.
I'm not sure who wrote that in (I didn't read over the final draft). However, that needs to be addressed as basically nothing is GPLv3. I assume it was written as an example of how one's work should comply with an example license, but was not explained clearly. It should be revised to say something like "All development should comply with the license(s) your work was derived from (e.g. Linux Kernel → GPLv2, Android Source (sans kernel) → Apache 2.0, OpenSSL → BSD/Apache 1.0)."

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Sigh.

Stricter requirements. No, nobody is better than anyone, the 'Elite' tag is irrelevant to us. This is more of a description/requirement to what it takes. Morality policing, we don't care what you do, but if someone brings to our attention you are abusing status to get a free phone, we care.

·
Your trusted friend in science
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sigh.

Stricter requirements. No, nobody is better than anyone, the 'Elite' tag is irrelevant to us. This is more of a description/requirement to what it takes. Morality policing, we don't care what you do, but if someone brings to our attention you are abusing status to get a free phone, we care.
Ok. Thanks for the clarification. That sounds much more reasonable. Maybe someone should modify these rules then, because they currently sound much stricter than it apparently was intended by you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts