Android OS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to update the radio firmware, the phone doesn't have to be rooted right? I just need to boot into hboot and update, right?

thank you.

·
Android Lover
203 Posts
"PapaSmurf6768 said:
You just wont be able to downgrade back to an earlier radio

Sent via Tapatalk on my TBolt
Says who?

·
Android Lover
203 Posts
Hmm, I'm honestly not sure, I've upgraded and downgraded radios many times on both my DINC and my Bolt, but I've always had S-OFF when I did it.

·
Android Apprentice
86 Posts
darkpark said:
In order to update the radio firmware, the phone doesn't have to be rooted right? I just need to boot into hboot and update, right?

thank you.
You don't have to be rooted, but you DO have to have S-OFF to flash anything not signed though the bootloader (HBOOT). If you try to flash a radio package with S-ON, you will be greeted with a security warning and the radio firmware will not be written to NAND.

Having root access is an OS function and has nothing to do with the bootloader. Vice versa, having S-OFF has nothing to do with having root access to your OS.

Sorry for the long winded answer, but there seems to be some confusion about this. Here is a good tutorial (not updated for the tblot, but still useful) to read up on how everything works. ---> http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile...on-htc-android-phones-with-unrevoked-forever/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts