Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Banned
48 Posts
That being said, I have a question: What would happen if you were on Verizon, using PWN and SS and running in, say, slot 1, and you took the 'eventual' update?
Hmmm, where do you intend on receiving this update? I doubt it would take on the stock side. And, being modified, neither on the slot. I think I'll give SS a little more time.

Sent from my 7ynpXT1080 using Tapatalk 2

· Banned
48 Posts
New ALPHA up for VZW user testing:
http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/motox/xt1060-vzw/safestrap/Safestrap-XT1060-3.61-B02.apk

Lot's of changes, but the primary ones include:
- APK now detects "write_protect" mode. And won't allow install/remove that way (adds a "Reboot to Write Protect Off Mode" button)
- Cleaned up hijack binaries to run after a restore of system when selinux contexts were updated
- Several bugfixes in the fixboot script
- Customizable partition sizes are in. You can see this on the rom-slot creation screen as "+" and "-" buttons which add or subtract 100mb to the size.

Users will still have to tap the "Recovery" button after the orange "REBOOT" screen to enter recovery. I haven't gotten around to that one.

Looking for feedback on this before rolling out to the other devices.
Rebooted on making the back up during the data partition.

Edit: I tried again with a clean install of safestrap. It worked fine. The first time, safestrap updated the old version I still didn't know I had. ... Dang, forgot to check if I had bluetooth.

Edit: Bluetooth is off on the recovery side. A restore of the stock ROM on a new, aptly-sized slot failed during the data restore phase.

Fat-fingered from my D-Maxx. now Free

· Banned
48 Posts
Safestrap is only workable from the write protection off/replaced recovery side. There is where you uninstall the safestrap recovery & the safestap app. You could uninstall the app on the regular side, but while in WP off recovery, eh, why not? I'm sure there's a bit more, but that's the basics.

Fat-fingered from my D-Maxx.

· Banned
48 Posts
In order to boot into wp mode off, is that just trying to enter recovery with power and volume down? After that, then follow your steps?

Sent from my XT1060 using RootzWiki mobile app
Yes! WP-off-recovery is what USED to be stock-factory recovery that has been repurposed (workaround) as a WP off mode of the stock ROM by the root method. Once rooted, you no longer have the stock factory recovery. There is a way/utility to replace the stock factory ROM, but you would no longer have the ability to make changes to the stock ROM. You would, however, still retain root, as I understand.

· Banned
48 Posts
I installed Safestrap for the first time tonight on my Maxx. Running ver. 3.63. The install went fine, I backed up the stock rom, created a slot and tried to restore the backup to that slot and got the "restore failed" message. There were posts earlier in this thread from people having this issue, but I din't see a solution anywhere. Am I missing something?
Not at all. Somehow the adjuster for system partition can't go over 1000 megabytes like it had in a previous version. Stock on the Maxx is just over 1000 megabytes, so a restore will fail. This is a minor glitch, and I'm relatively certain that Hash will be able to fix it soon. As far as I know, the backup that you made it safestrap is legitimate.

· Banned
48 Posts
I went ahead and did a special v3.63a for the Moto Ultra folks. It defaults to 1.1gb system size and has a max of 1.5gb.

VZW Moto X / Ultra Safestrap v3.63a
http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/motox/xt1060-vzw/safestrap/Safestrap-XT1060-3.63a.apk
Way WAY cool, dear sir! Actually, they alot just over 2 gig for the system, but use only just over 1 gig. A total waste of a gigabyte if you ask me. The numbers you have set up will work very nicely!!

· Banned
48 Posts
Coming to you from rom slot number one on a Droid Maxx! Let the program diet commence! Bye bye bloat! Woohoo! I used 1300 Meg for my full factory system, and added 500 meg to what safestrap thought my data size was. Had 185 left for system. Hmmm, strongly considering just having a system to work on / experiment with.

· Banned
48 Posts
Not Sure exactly what happened, but I wound up with a boot loop. Thanks to 'House of Moto', and the old desktop, I'm back and running. After trimming down a copy of the stock rom in slot one, I backed it up, then downsized slot 1 to as small as I could to hold the trimmed stock rom and a small handful of programs. Restored that little ditty back into slot 1, and restarted the phone. Bootloop city. I converted some stock programs to user if they could easily be found on the Play market. Others I integrated the updates into the ROM. I don't think an integration took very well. Looks like I have some learning to do.

· Banned
48 Posts
I think there may be an issue with installing SS on the rom-slot or running "Install Recovery" while on a rom-slot. Still troubleshooting this.

The X has some complexity during this process where most devices don't so that may be a new bug there.

ALSO: Thanks for helping each other!
Hey all, I'm back again. Fresh from bootloop city I'm up and running full and steady. A major PITA, but then again, I found a few things that got tweeked for the better during the rebuild. I bear full blame for the incident. What I suspected went wrong is very similar to what Hash said above. I backed up a ROM on a slot with safestrap still active or installed. Maybe not such a good idea to have safestrap in a ROM on a slot. I'll leave it up to the pros for a definitive answer on that.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

· Banned
48 Posts
Dang, just re read your post. This is for the X and Droid Ultra series phones here. Razr Maxx stuff is in another thread. Nevermind the following incorrect info. Back all the way out of safestrap 363, uninstall recovery from write-protect off/phone recovery side, Delete safetrap 363 and then install safestrap 363a. Max out the system ROM volume to 1500 megabytes, then you'll be in business!

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.