Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this in the applications forum since it is not (or will not be) device-specific. I decided to go ahead and make a thread with screenshots of it running on a droid to whet your appetites.

Many people have asked me to port RZR to other devices, so I have been working away at it. I have ported it to gingerbread base code (it was pretty much a complete re-write) which finally has built in support for mmc partitions and ext filesystems. I have it working wonderfully on the OG droid - I took out keyboard specific things and battery charging. Here is the result:

It's still a work in progress for other devices, the main goal is to make it as universal as possible - meaning the binary can run on several devices without the need for recompile, except of course on tegra2's. Those must be compiled separately.

The overclock and flashlight menus will only work on applicable devices, otherwise you will just get a "not supported message". I just realized I left in the keyboard backlight option, which is totally pointless. Yes, it will light up the keyboard but if I pulled out all the keyboard specific stuff its useless.

Overview:

Reboot / Power Off = self-explanatory
Wipe Menu = wipe any partition or all partitions at once
Mount Menu = mount system, data, sdcard, turn on USB storage mode
Nandroid Menu = backup/restore (TAR) plus clockwork nandroid restore function
Install = install from any folder on sdcard, recognizes boot images, recovery images, update.zips and tar/tgz install files
Extras = self explanatory

Extras menu items:

Custom colors = set the colors as demonstrated in every screenshot (different color in each screenshot), plus a random color generator. Text color automatically switches from white to black depending on brightness of color selected/generated. Survives reboots by storing in a binary file /sdcard/RZR/rgb
Disable OTA update downloads = removes otacerts.zip, preventing all OTA's from downloading. Note, in the event that an OTA update is downloaded, it will not be installed unless explicitly selected from the install menu. The stock recovery patcher is also removed at every reboot.
Show battery status = shows status (unknown, charging, discharging, full), charge level and temperature. If status is unknown, only unknown is displayed.
Toggle flashlight = will turn on and off the flashlight if it is detected. Very bright.
Activate root access in ROM = install su binary and set permissions on it. Must install superuser APK from market.
Recovery Overclocking = This will show you all available speed slots and the current governor. You can set the max slot for your kernel and it will under or overclock all recovery operations. Overclocking recovery speeds up installs, backups, and simple menu navigation. Do not recommend clocking to 125mhz. makes it painfully slow

Toggle keyboard light = pointless. toggles keyboard backlight just like the flashlight

This post is really just a "here's whats coming from me" kinda post... Download links will be posted as soon as it starts running on more than just sholes.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
poontab said:
Loved this recovery on my D1. Did you ever get that bad ESN Dinc?
not yet. Hopefully in a few weeks... Until then I will keep working on getting it to run on g-tablet & nook color. Once I get a binary that will work on droid & nook color I feel it will be ready to run on most non-tegra2 devices.

·
Android Apprentice
29 Posts
best recovery, hasn't done me wrong yet. I am most happy with the flashlight, saved me many times when in the dark and my blackscreen recovery with green text isn't enough light!! huzzah

·
Marty Mcfly/Theme Dev
912 Posts
Any particular reason you took charging out? That was the thing i loved most about it on my Droid. Would love to have this on the bolt!

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
b16 said:
Can you add reboot to bootloader? For HTC Devices?
Not sure if there a function for doing that, maybe I can place a command file somewhere and reboot the system with that in place.. though without an HTC device to test with I don't think that would be a possibility

Stetsonaw said:
Any particular reason you took charging out? That was the thing i loved most about it on my Droid. Would love to have this on the bolt!
Because that is a device-specific thing. Charging was done largely in the kernel and I had toolbox with all 2mb of it's dependencies crammed in the ramdisk (w/ links to getporp, setprop, start, stop), as well as battd. I also had to add LZMA compression to the kernel itself and compress the ramdisk with LZMA too in order to even get it to boot on the droid. The 2.1+ branch will not have this. Devices that have separate charging circuits, like the nook color or g-tablet, will still charge in recovery without any help from me.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imneveral0ne said:
So is this on the thunderbolt yet? I'm tired of CWR lol
I hear you.. I don't get very much time to work on it but I hope to get some time tonight
The devices I have are OG droids, a nook color and a viewsonic g-tablet. Once I get it working on those, I think the binaries & scripts will be ready to be transplanted into any device's stock recovery image.

·
Marty Mcfly/Theme Dev
912 Posts
raidzero said:
Because that is a device-specific thing. Charging was done largely in the kernel and I had toolbox with all 2mb of it's dependencies crammed in the ramdisk (w/ links to getporp, setprop, start, stop), as well as battd. I also had to add LZMA compression to the kernel itself and compress the ramdisk with LZMA too in order to even get it to boot on the droid. The 2.1+ branch will not have this. Devices that have separate charging circuits, like the nook color or g-tablet, will still charge in recovery without any help from me.
well poop. thanks for the reply! still looking forward to it.

·
iPhone!
214 Posts
raidzero said:
I hear you.. I don't get very much time to work on it but I hope to get some time tonight
The devices I have are OG droids, a nook color and a viewsonic g-tablet. Once I get it working on those, I think the binaries & scripts will be ready to be transplanted into any device's stock recovery image.
awesome news, can't wait!

·
Kernel Dev
897 Posts
Hey rz,
I can help you test/get it run on a few devices (Samsung Fasinate, Droid Incredible, and Thunderbolt). Hit me up on gtalk [email protected]

However, i am kinda of a noob when it comes to recoveries, but not to kernels, so i can still be of SOME assistance

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imneveral0ne said:
sweet :p what phone is that running on?
that is a viewsonic g-tablet (tegra2)

it also also boots and runs on nook color, though apparently I left out ext3 support, got ext4 but not ext3... ? lol

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.