* YOU SHOULD CONTRIBUTE INSTEAD OF KANGING EDITION
Hi there, Internet! Remember us?
It's time once again for another ground-breaking, earth-shattering, mind-blowing release. We've got something super-special and creamy for y'all to taste.
If you thought CyanogenMod 7 was great, this alpha is *two* CyanogenMods better. That's right, introducing CyanogenMod 9 for Touchpad, Alpha 0! That's a "zero" as in "zero hardware-accelerated video", "zero camera", and "zero support!"
There's one other zero we'd like to mention. Zero reasons to not give you the source code. So, for the first time, we're making ALL the source for the HP Touchpad for CyanogenMod 9 available for you to build CyanogenMod 9 yourself from scratch.
Now that the source is open we would love to see fellow developers contribute bug fixes and improvements
. This is something that does not happen enough in the Android world and we'd love to change that trend. Please feel free to contact us in #cyanogenmod-touchpad to get involved and to discuss current and future developments.
And... we're going to tell you how to build it yourself with an easy-to-follow walkthrough.
So here it is, Ice Cream Sandwich (CyanogenMod 9) for Touchpad!
But please, before you do anything, read this document in full. And have fun out there. Love one another.
Yours forever and ever and EVER,
The CyanogenMod Touchpad Team
Alpha0.6 Release notes:
Another minor release. While working on bigger problems that will take a while I wanted to push out an update for some things that have happened in the last few days. This is primarily to get Flemmard's work out for more testing. This contains the start of CyanogenMod settings. However, most of the settings are not functional on tablets yet.
With this release I will also provide two flashable zips to allow you to easily switch between lcd density 120 and 160. The default is still 160 because it offers the greatest compatibility. Any lcd density value between 160 and 120 will ruin market compatibility. For those that would like a "higher resolution" look and feel, you may flash the 120 lcd density update.zip. This will copy a new build.prop and will update the launcher for proper display. I strongly recommend changing the font size in Settings->System->Fonts if you chose to do this. The 160 lcd density update is provided to easily revert the change.
Alpha0.5 Release notes:
- Touchscreen fixes
- Ability to hide the combined bar(navigation buttons and clock) for full screen. This uses the ICS api so it will require app support(not all apps have been updated). This is an option under Settings->[Interface]->System->Combined Bar (Credits to Flemmard)
- Scrollable quick settings. This will require tweaking later to allow it to be bigger on the Touchpad but fixes overflow issue on 7" tablets with the new Bluetooth toggle. (Credits to Flemmard)
- Reboot to recovery is working via the power menu(hold down power button). Note: reboot will sometimes shutdown rather than rebooting.
- Preliminary support for Rom Manager. In order to use this you will need Rom Manager Premium because it is not official yet. In order to use it you will need to execute "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" in Rom Manager. Confirm the model is cm_tenderloin, say yes that you have installed manually, and check ClockworkMod 3.x. Now you can use Rom Manager to flash update.zips. Official support should come soon.
- Other general changes from syncing with latest changes
This is a minor release that bundles fixes that were previously a separate download and a few other things:
- Fix kernel crash that happened most frequently with Titanium Backup but also many other apps(fix found by verygreen)
- Touchscreen fixes by Dees_Troy(helps with rapid distinct touches being interporated as a single motion)
- Fix graphics corruption that was happening in some games
- CM9 changes from Flemmard:
- CMStats added
- Browser: open link in incognito mode: http://review.cyanog...m/#change,11894
- Change needed for fsck replacement(was in alpha0 but wanted to make it explicit here until it is merged): http://review.cyanog...m/#change,11875
- Other general changes that were merged since alpha0
AND NOW, SOME STUFF...
(But first, here's a little disclaimer you should read several times before you continue.)
ALL DISCLAIMERS FROM CYANOGENMOD 7 ALPHA 1-3.5 APPLY EQUALLY TO THIS VERSION. BE SURE TO REVIEW THEM. THE USE OR ATTEMPTED USE OF CYANOGENMOD 9 ALPHA 0 MAY RESULT IN VERY BAD THINGS TO YOU, YOUR TOUCHPAD, YOUR DATA, YOUR FRIENDS, FAMILY, AND LOVED ONES. TRY CYANOGENMOD 9 ALPHA 0 ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK!
FORGET WHAT WORKS. WHAT *DOESN'T* WORK?
Yeah, let's focus on the negative. Some (but not all) things that DO NOT WORK:
CAN I UPDATE *DIRECTLY* FROM CYANOGENMOD 7?
Yes. And you can try it even without a wipe of /data. The key is to use ACMEInstaller2 (see link below) rather than the ClockWorkMod Recovery to do the installation. If you use the ClockWorkMod Recovery, you'll run into troubles, and though CyanogenMod 9 will install, you'll need to reset(format) your data.
Our testing has shown that ACMEInstaller2 will resolve the issues. Your results may vary, but it may be worth using it to upgrade. Especially since newer versions of Titanium backup will crash on start up.
The process for using ACMEInstaller2 is exactly the same as when you first installed CyanogenMod 7.
I'VE NOT INSTALLED ANY VERSION OF CYANOGENMOD BEFORE. HOW DOES THIS WORK?
Please read all previous instructions/documentations for CyanogenMod 7. Start with the instructions for Alpha 1, then 2, 3, and 3.5. This should bring you up to speed with how to install and what to expect.
ACMEInstaller2 is the latest version of the installer and will do it all for you. You will need the files at the end of this document:
ACMEInstaller2 and update-cm-9.0.0-RC0-alpha0-Touchpad-fullofbugs.zip and
CAN I MAKE A TRI-BOOT SYSTEM? (WebOS, CM7, and CM9)
Yes, but don't bother. There may be instructions forthcoming on this, but it's a bit advanced - just pick one.
WHO IS ON THE CYANOGENMOD TEAM ANYWAY?!
We are a shadowy, frequently-cloaked collective of extremely talented and dedicated individuals. We are legion. Expect us.
Oh, but seriously. You have Ice Cream Sandwich now, so does it matter? You can view some of the developers who are involved by simply glancing through the commit history in the device git repository, going all the way back to CyanogenMod 7. However, keep in mind that some code may have been written by one person, refined by others, and committed by yet another, generally with acknowledgement in the commit notes.
Really thought. It's about the work and the fun, not the credit.
SO WHERE CAN I GET SOURCE CODE?
The device repository is public with this alpha release and everybody can build their version now.HOW DO I BUILD THIS?
- Hardware Video (OMX). As a result, Netflix does not work, YouTube works only only in non-HD videos. Use something like MXPlayer and SW codecs for your local media.
- Audio is a mess. The microphone does not work. Work on the current libaudio solution has halted because we will eventually switch to a CAF libaudio.
- Camera does not work. The only libcamera.so that we have is from froyo and its closed source. There is a wrapper for QCOM gingerbread libcamera libraries that could likely be used as a basis to get our camera working.
- Market filters prevent some apps from being installed (this can partly solved by switching back to standard DPI settings(120, 160, 240). The current build is using 160 which fixes the market but makes everything look ugly and low resolution.
- Titanium Backup crashes the kernel. There's an investigation in progress...There are reports that older versions do work.(Fixed alpha0.5)
- Most of the hardware problems from CM7 still exist in this CM9 alpha build.
- Gapps intended for CM7/Gingerbread will not work in CM9/ICS. If you choose to install GAPPS then you'll need to get an updated compilation
- USB file transfers use MTP or PTP in Ice Cream Sandwich and Honeycomb. Traditional storage mounting is not supported in the Touchpad build.
See the guide here:
Please thank fattire(@fat_tire) for making the guide
WHERE DO I GET ADDITIONAL HELP?WHERE CAN I GET UPDATES ON DEVELOPMENT?
Video of initial alpha
- You can add me on Google+ http://goo.gl/A9NuM or follow @dalingrin on twitter for updates
- #cyanogenmod-touchpad on freenode
- At least some of the developers will be around rootzwiki forums
Are you sure you want to install?
ACMEUinstaller(script to completely uninstall Android and its modifications to the touchpad
New ACMEInstaller(do not use old installer with CM9)
Clockwork Recovery(not updated, no need to reinstall if you already have it)
Moboot(no update required, but recommended to those that haven't installed before):
Alpha0.6 CM9 for Touchpad
LCD Density Updates
Revert to 160: http://goo.gl/mndEs
Alpha0.5 CM9 for Touchpad