Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Android Beginner
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is a repeat of what Bolt owners went through, and a big +1 to HTC phones for having the ability to do this.

Dial ##778#, call
edit mode
password is 000000
modem settings
Rev. A
select "enable"
menu > commit
phone will reboot and you should get 3G back

This changes your network from eHRPD back to EVDO Rev.A. For LTE phone owners, eHRPD causes 3G to die (most of the time anyway) when the LTE network has problems. Get back on normal EVDO and you're good to go.

Once the network is back up, you'll want to repeat the steps to turn eHRPD back on, as the 4G/3G handoff is VERY slow on EVDO.

·
Android Beginner
43 Posts
Unnecessary.

Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Network mode > CDMA Only > Reboot
that's a negative - stays on eHRPD when you do that... EVDO Rev.A is the key when LTE goes down, and you can only switch that in the deeper modem settings

·
Android Beginner
126 Posts
that's a negative - stays on eHRPD when you do that... EVDO Rev.A is the key when LTE goes down, and you can only switch that in the deeper modem settings
Incorrect. eHRPD acts as a hand-off between 1X and LTE, turn off LTE, no need for eHRPD, hence what CDMA only does.

·
Android Beginner
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Incorrect. eHRPD acts as a hand-off between 1X and LTE, turn off LTE, no need for eHRPD, hence what CDMA only does.
Doing what you're saying only tells the phone not to look for 4G - it doesn't disable eHRPD. I'll post up some screens in a second... Whether the phone is looking for 4G or not, it runs with eHRPD on top of it - same holds true for every VZW LTE phone out there. That's why a lot of the Bionic/Razr people couldn't connect to 3G as well today, or had spotty coverage anyway.

·
Android Beginner
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok here you go...

Default settings show this (pay attention to Rev.A):

Then I go into the settings you referenced and switch to CDMA only...

Rev. A still says eHRPD... even with CDMA only checked.

Now if you change that setting...

It reboots, and you'll notice Rev.A defaults to Enable now instead of eHRPD. Your phone is now viewed as a normal 3G only phone on Verizon's network... well sort of. It'll actually grab 4G while in this mode, but it's a very slow handoff.

And trust me, from having the Thunderbolt with all it's issues, and now the Rezound (no issues, but after the outages yesterday/today), this is indeed the way it works.

·
Android Beginner
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gotta love the Rezound's stock screenshot ability!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great tip, worked like a champ. How do we know when to switch that setting? Look for outages? Just curious, thought I crappy signal today.

·
Android Beginner
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You'll normally hear about it via blogs, etc., when the network is supposedly back up to par. If your phone gets 4G for awhile you're probably good too. It works on EVDO Rev.A, but like I said, handoff is slow. I've never tested the handoff on the Rezound, but on the Bolt it was noticeable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
jntdroid said:
You'll normally hear about it via blogs, etc., when the network is supposedly back up to par. If your phone gets 4G for awhile you're probably good too. It works on EVDO Rev.A, but like I said, handoff is slow. I've never tested the handoff on the Rezound, but on the Bolt it was noticeable.
Thx. I took a screenshot of ur instructions for future reference, love that stock screenshot.

·
Android FTW
218 Posts
Nice. This is why both of HTC's VZW 4G phones are neat, the ability to run on true CDMA rather than rely on eHRPD. I'd like to see the Bionic or the RAZR do that. Or even the Charge.

·
Android Beginner
126 Posts
Ok here you go...

Default settings show this (pay attention to Rev.A):

Then I go into the settings you referenced and switch to CDMA only...

Rev. A still says eHRPD... even with CDMA only checked.

Now if you change that setting...

It reboots, and you'll notice Rev.A defaults to Enable now instead of eHRPD. Your phone is now viewed as a normal 3G only phone on Verizon's network... well sort of. It'll actually grab 4G while in this mode, but it's a very slow handoff.

And trust me, from having the Thunderbolt with all it's issues, and now the Rezound (no issues, but after the outages yesterday/today), this is indeed the way it works.
Yup...that's why your method and my method give me the exact same results. Verizon probably straight up lied about 3G not having problems. 3G is going down sporadically as well.

As for people having issues trying to get 3G back using my method, your problems are one of the following:

1) You didn't reboot.
2) 3G is down in your area as well.

·
Supporting Member
273 Posts
Yup...that's why your method and my method give me the exact same results. Verizon probably straight up lied about 3G not having problems. 3G is going down sporadically as well.

As for people having issues trying to get 3G back using my method, your problems are one of the following:

1) You didn't reboot.
Ur method didnt work for me either. The OP's did tho. Thanks anyway, I appreciate the both of ya just the same

·
Android Lover
417 Posts
Berzerker said:

1) You didn't reboot.
OP is the only way it works done that more than a few times when 4g/3g is down. The way you are expaining only locks the phone in 3g only mode but still is eHRPD not Rev A. Your way is just a way to save battery.

·
Android Beginner
43 Posts

1) You didn't reboot.
please see the screenshots again - your method doesn't change the setting in the modem settings, it's not the same result, and I did reboot

3G was not going down for people with phones that run on EVDO Rev.A only - i.e. all the 3G only phones... VZW said that officially, and I can testify to that myself (my wife and brother have 3G only VZW phones), and I'm a mod over at another Android forum where numerous users could testify the same.

·
Android Beginner
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The purpose of eHRPD is to allow simultaneous data and voice transmission only. Forcing to 3g can be done as explained in previous posts
By simultaneous, do you mean one over 4g and one over 3g?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

·
Android Beginner
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just thought I'd bump this given the data outage today...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts