Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Android Beginner
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the only thing keeping me from buying a Rezound is the issue that thunderbolt has flashing AOSP roms... I think this is the ONLY reason I'm considering the Nexus. It is based off AOSP so theoretically... should be easily customized. Not to mention the popularity is gonna attracts a lot of devs... Getting a taste of MIUI and Gingerbread AOSP was amazing, despite the 3D sense ports and all the other cool stuff that came our way, I always found myself going back to AOSP. but then again, the rezound is such a good phone hardware wise!! and the stock build is rather impressive, responsive and snappy! I'm torn!! =(

Do you guys think we're gonna suffer the same GPS-less and glitchy AOSP roms like we currently do?

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
rezound is a fast phone...People talk about the nexus like its gonna change their lives...makes me sad :/ In the end these phones are just blank canvases, Dev's can paint whatever picture they want onto them really...(yeah i know no dual core or nice samsung display, or sweet formfactor) But still, the nexus is gonna get released, I wont be able to afford it....and life will go on....Christ we're millimeters away from having ICS on this badboy anyways...With the amount of hype/level of expectations people have surrounding this phone, people are sure to be disappointed. I might pay full price for a nexus and use it as my daily driver so I can focus on developing for the mecha (i really like this community, what can i say?) Or i might just wait until the quad cores phones with the new qualcomm lte/voice chip in 'em....

·
Android Beginner
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ICS is nice, it really is... but I'm not unhappy with my thunderbolt just yet. The only thing that upsets me is that when I feel like flashing AOSP roms, my GPS doesn't work. When I flash a sense rom... the phone is sluggish. I guess the rezound will be more powerful so therefore I can run a sense based rom (that will ultimately be getting ICS anyways). Not to mention the speaker, audio and in call volume on the rezound was reported to be VERY impressive.

·
Android Beginner
38 Posts
rezound is a fast phone...People talk about the nexus like its gonna change their lives...makes me sad :/ In the end these phones are just blank canvases, Dev's can paint whatever picture they want onto them really...(yeah i know no dual core or nice samsung display, or sweet formfactor) But still, the nexus is gonna get released, I wont be able to afford it....and life will go on....Christ we're millimeters away from having ICS on this badboy anyways...With the amount of hype/level of expectations people have surrounding this phone, people are sure to be disappointed. I might pay full price for a nexus and use it as my daily driver so I can focus on developing for the mecha (i really like this community, what can i say?) Or i might just wait until the quad cores phones with the new qualcomm lte/voice chip in 'em....
Rezound is duel core... 1.5ghz actually. Nexus is 1.2ghz. which supports my case further. Great audio, not only for music but speaker phone talk and in call audio.

But again, AOSP has never truly been perfected on the TB... which is my fear with the rezound. I feel that if I got a Nexus, all the devs would need to do is build from an already stable open source base.

Gotta admit tho, the on screen buttons are some nice eye candy.

·
Supporting Member
433 Posts
AOSP-based roms are rarely perfected on HTC phones, and other phones for that matter. Why? not really time to discuss it but that's the way it is (for now, unless the source magically is adapted for all phones ever made)

But the Nexus is a nice phone, and the Rezound is to...you can't go wrong with either I'm just sick of people talking like the Gnex is the best thing out....Y'all are starting to sound like iOS people

First person to comment on how the Nexus processor is better then the Rezounds because its a OMAP4460 and has Arm9 etc etc, and the Rezound is a Snapdragon w/ a8 owes me coffee and a cookie.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Do you guys really have that many issues with AOSP roms on the thunderbolt? Ive never had a single GPS lock issue with mine, never even had to do the sense trick...I guess im one of the lucky ones? AOSP's audio/bluetooth is a *touch* sub par, but nothing that a 5 dollar app cant fix...

·
Average Android
301 Posts
will the nexus have sense 3.5 roms? its easier to get aosp on htc devices then get sense on non htc phones. i like sense and aosp

·
Supporting Member
433 Posts
Do you guys really have that many issues with AOSP roms on the thunderbolt? Ive never had a single GPS lock issue with mine, never even had to do the sense trick...I guess im one of the lucky ones? AOSP's audio/bluetooth is a *touch* sub par, but nothing that a 5 dollar app cant fix...
Personally I don't either, but we're the minority I guess

·
Android Beginner
38 Posts
I was actually happily on Liquid 3.0 (3.1 and 3.2) on my TBolt for a very long while... GPS lock was working fine and everything. Then on thanksgiving this year i got lost driving to my grandparents, went to my handy dandy google navigator and... searching for GPS. FOREVER! I don't know if Navigator is the only thing messed up. google maps worked fine.

I had to download and flash a sense rom on the spot. It was a sad day for me and AOSP roms

Also, Bl33d... good point. I do like sense actually. But MIUI is my favorite. and they're definitely making a official ICS/MIUI rom soon.

·
Android Beginner
11 Posts
Well the rezound is super snappy at the moment even with Sense, do you think it will be that way 6-12 months down the road?

My CM7 tbolt definitely is faster today than the day I got it.

I think over the course of a contract you'll ultimately want the speed that an AOSP rom delivers, and when the price is the same between a rezound and a nexus why wouldn't you get a nexus?

It simplifies the whole process tremendously. Example: one of my friends has been running a pretty much perfect ICS rom since the day before Thanksgiving on his nexus S. I doubt we'll see a stable ICS rom before 2012 for the tbolt.

Basically if your carrier supports a nexus device I can't imagine not buying it.

·
Android Lover
268 Posts
Basically if your carrier supports a nexus device I can't imagine not buying it.
Snip--especially given that Verizon only offers two year contracts now. I got my TBolt on a 1-year and I'm happy with it, but I'd be pretty miserable if I got stuck with this thing for two years. At least the Nexus is somewhat future-proof.

·
Android Beginner
106 Posts
nocoast said:
Didn't used to have the GPS problem but since I used protekks builds something must have happened. sooner or later I will do the trick again to see what breaks it, because I don't think anyone ever stated exactly what breaks or might break the workaround/fix

·
Android Apprentice
36 Posts
Snip--especially given that Verizon only offers two year contracts now.
Your not stuck for two years. Contract 2yrs, Upgrade eligibility is 1yr (meaning you pay contract price and renew your contract again)

As for AOSP NFL mobile is the ONLY reason I don't run it 24/7. By the time I left AOSP which has been about a month I had ZERO issue worth mentioning. Hell after popping in the Rezound battery which last me 12hrs of normal usage (meaning not using it miserly to save battery) the only thing I'm hoping the Galaxy Nexus does is bring a solution for NFL mobile to AOSP since its running vanilla android. And until the bootloader is unlocked or cracked I wont even think about getting the Rezound...thats a much bigger issue than any perceived hardware defficiency (seeing how the TB is still pretty damn fast tweaked a little how much more faster than near instant does one need).

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
I have minor issues with sound stuff and having to mute the device to record video with sound is frustrating. That's really the only thing bothering me about AOSP on the tbolt. I personally don't think I'd like the Rezound because I am sick of sense really and I love AOSP. I just simply don't see the Rezound getting a good ICS Rezound port anytime soon.

·
Android Apprentice
89 Posts
I figure that if the rezound has s-off before the GNex is released I will probably go with the rezound. If not, I will be more than happy with the nexus. I love my Tbolt and AOSP roms like omfgb run amazing on here. This phone performs flawlessly for me. I don't mind sense, but I can't imagine being forced to use it.

·
Android Apprentice
52 Posts
The only reason I would buy the Nexus over the Rezound is updates. Seeing what the T bolt went through just for Gingerbread was rediculous. Nexus phones always have the latest and greatest either from Google or devs. I love the work or devs have put into the Thunderbolt, it just seems Nexus guys have it far easier

1 - 20 of 48 Posts