Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
*** DISCLAIMER ***

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU MESS UP YOUR PHONE! OR IF YOU LOSE ANY DATA, ITS CALLED BACK IT UP BEFORE HAND!

Word to the wise if you don't know how to use RSDLite or Fastboot to restore your phone then leave this thread now please! You need to backup everything on your internal storage before you install this in case you need to restore back. If using the Safestrap version this rom needs to be flashed to the STOCK SLOT and the 4.4.2 KitKat Kernel and Baseband need to be flashed for it to work. If your Unlocked you either need to be on 4.4.2 prior to install or flash the 4.4.2 Baseband after the install. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

This is Krypton for the Moto X, it is based on the stock 4.4.2 rom.

Features;

-Debloated 279mb of apps

-Removed the super lame Verizon bootanimation

-Added init.d support

-Odexed and ART compatible

-Rooted with SuperSU (thanks to Chainfire)

-Blacked out the framework's background no more gradient

-AOSP Signal icons

-For the Safestrap version added Reboot and Reboot to Safestrap to the power menu

-For the Unlocked version added Reboot and Reboot to Recovery to the power menu

-Removed the lame Safe Volume prompt

-All apps have been updated to the current Play Store version and re-odexed (excluding Motorola Contextual Services)

-Some Misc Build.prop edits to enable Usb Debugging and to Force GPU rendering by default

-Switched the default I/O Scheduler to Row via init.d in the Safestrap version and via the Kernel in the Unlocked version

-Added a Ringtone that I have used since my Droid X

-Disabled the Motorola Setup and Enabled the Stock Setup Wizard

-Added the apps Nova Launcher, AdAway, and Terminal Emulator (thanks to those devs for their apps)

-Removed the IME toggle from the status bar when keyboard is open

-Set all animations to off by default in the framework

-Swapped the stock Calender for the Play Store version

-Entitlement check bypass

-For Unlocked users the Kernel was cross compiled with Linaro 4.7 toolchain

Known Issues: Some times after updating Motorola Contextual Services in the Play Store it will display a stopped working message after the first reboot, and some times if you wipe the cache for some reason.

Installation Instructions

Safestrap Version

-If you are already on 4.4.2 then boot into Safestrap and factory reset, do not wipe the /system then install to the STOCK slot.

-If your not on 4.4.2 then go here and follow the instructions from my stock rom thread http://rootzwiki.com/topic/116025-romsafestrapxt1060-stock-rooted-vzw-164552-kitkat-442/ I don't feel like reposting them in here.

Unlocked Version

Boot into TWRP 2.7 or CWM(haven't tested on this so let me know if it works) factory reset, do not wipe the /system then flash the rom. If you were not on 4.4.2 already you need to go to the link above and download my Flashing Utility and flash the 4.4.2 Baseband also!

Downloads: DO NOT repost these links on other forums, link them to this thread instead!

Safestrap v1.2: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23487008491964556
Unlocked v1.2: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23487008491964497

Safestrap v1.1: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407586019

Unlocked v1.1: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407586080

Confirmed Working Patches
Rogers XT1058 Patch
T-Mobile XT1053 Patch
Retail UK XT1052 Patch

Unconfirmed Working Patches(these are untested once I get 2 people to post and confirm they're working I will move them to confirmed)
US Cellular XT1055 Patch
AT&T XT1058 Safestrap Patch
AT&T XT1058 Unlocked Patch
Retail Brasil XT1058 Patch

Kernel Only Link (this is for people who flashed another kernel and want to come back to my kernel)
K002-Linaro-4.7

Here is a link to all the removed apps if you want something back, this is NOT a flashable zip http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23487008491964616

Kernel Source: https://github.com/iKrYpToNiTe/kernel-msm

Thanks to Google for Android and their Search engine, Hashcode for Safestrap, jcase for root, beaups and fuses for MotoWpNoMo, dhacker29 for TWRP 2.7, and the Chinese middle man for my bootloader unlock without them this wouldn't be possible!

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Changelog

-v1.2 Update (5/18/2014)
-Updated all market apps
-Removed most of the remaining Verizon files(to help unify the compatibility with the other models of the Moto X)
-Removed unused Libs that were used by apps that have been removed, or market apps that no longer use
-Total amount of removed files was 39mb
-Misc build.prop fixes and reordering
-Added Patches for AT&T, T-Mobile, USC, Rogers, Retail UK, and Retail Brasil(they may still need some tweaking especially the Sprint one)

-v1.1 Update (4/13/2014)

-Updated all market apps and SuperSU

-Changed the dialer icon to the 4.4.2 icon

-Added my Entitlement Check bypass

-Changed the stock Calender to the Play Store Calender

-Removed another 40mb worth of apps

-Removed the IME toggle from the status bar

-Set all animations to off by default in the framework

-Added SpeedSoftware's Explorer app

-Cross compiled the Kernel with Linaro 4.7 for unlocked users

-v1.0 Initial Release (3/22/2014)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This may seem stupid but hopefully I'll actually get an answer here rather then the rather rude response on xda.. In the bloat you removed did you remove the spotlight player components?? My boys love that thing and the rom I'm fixing to switch from to yours the components for it were removed and I didn't realize it. One other question are we still able to roll back if for whatever reason we feel necessary to 4.2? Thanks in advanced!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Yes the spotlight player has been removed you can download it from the Play Store if you want it or download the zip I posted in the OP that has all the files I removed just add the two Avatar apks from the app folder and priv-app folder to the rom zip before you flash it! Yes as long as you haven't upgraded your bootloader you can downgrade to the version of your bootloader!

·
Android Apprentice
111 Posts
So I have to ask . Is there a reason that devs (yourself included) opt to go for Nova Launcher rather than stock launcher or google now launcher? I almost always Nova out with GNL, but I see that almost every dev seems to do it. Also, loving the ROM so far, only thing it needs to be perfect is Toggle customization and a Torch toggle! Seems like the battery life on idle time is real good, too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
So I have to ask . Is there a reason that devs (yourself included) opt to go for Nova Launcher rather than stock launcher or google now launcher? I almost always Nova out with GNL, but I see that almost every dev seems to do it. Also, loving the ROM so far, only thing it needs to be perfect is Toggle customization and a Torch toggle! Seems like the battery life on idle time is real good, too.
I've used Nova since it was released it has been the most customizable, light weight, was built from source, and is the smoothest that I've used. I mainly use it because of the gesture support, I can't stand reaching to the top of my screen to pull the notification shade down, or actually hitting the app drawer button. Also the stock launcher is around 12mb for hardly no customization Nova is around 3-4mb. For the GNL I don't see the big deal about it I can swipe up from the home button and google now comes up why take my infinite scroll of my launcher away, that's just my two cents.

I was working on toggles but decided to work on them later, I was able to get toggles working from source via java but I can't freaking stand working with smali. So I moved on to finishing the rom first before I start back on modifying the smali. As for Torch I use TeslaLED widget developed by the same dev of Nova, you can see it in the screenshots I posted of the rom.

·
Android Beginner
53 Posts
Just tried flashing it on my Verizon unlocked through TWRP 2.6.3.1

I get an error Creating System Links

E: Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard

I have downloaded twice to see if it was a bad download. I also wiped everything but internal before flashing.

Thanks,

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just tried flashing it on my Verizon unlocked through TWRP 2.6.3.1

I get an error Creating System Links

E: Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard

I have downloaded twice to see if it was a bad download. I also wiped everything but internal before flashing.

Thanks,
Here download twrp 2.7 from dhacker29, that's what this was tested on http://androidhosting.org/Devs/Dhacker29/MotoX/

·
Android Apprentice
111 Posts
I had no idea Nova was such a smaller package than Stock launchers. makes a lot of sense.

What I like about the google launcher is Page from the left Gnow, and also the dynamic homescreen. As someone who only uses 1 homescreen by default this is a nice feature.

That being said, I dunno what fairy dust you sprinkled onto this rom, because I have never gotten better battery life. went from 100 - 75% yesterday with normal use, would usually take me to 50% ish.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does this have the Tethering hack in it?
I didn't know there was one, the old way no longer works, also I don't have a way to test it I get free tethering.

I had no idea Nova was such a smaller package than Stock launchers. makes a lot of sense.

What I like about the google launcher is Page from the left Gnow, and also the dynamic homescreen. As someone who only uses 1 homescreen by default this is a nice feature.

That being said, I dunno what fairy dust you sprinkled onto this rom, because I have never gotten better battery life. went from 100 - 75% yesterday with normal use, would usually take me to 50% ish.
Yeah it's crazy that the stock one is so much larger. If you only use one screen then I can see why you would like GNL I use three so Nova is works great for me and if I need gnow I just swipe up from the home button and gnow comes up. No fairy's where harmed in the making of this rom I swear lol, the biggest thing was probably the debloat and the switch to row scheduler.

so just to make sure, this has all of the motorola functionality like active display/touchless control, etc working?
Yes I kept everything that I use which is everything except Motorola connect.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 56 Posts