Android OS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Sith Lord
38 Posts
I am not the Developer for this Rom, I only asked permission to link it to this site in order to share with everyone; since our Galaxy Tab section seems like a ghost town. Please read entire post before downloading and installing. I will give a short review of my experience with the ROM in the second post. Everyone is responsible for there own devices, what they install on them, and what might damage said device. Site link at bottom.

From the Site:

Custom tuned and ready for your sleek new Samsung tablet. The Bonsai ROM provides superior battery life and performance delivering on the promise of the Android OS for mobile devices.

This is an early beta release Bonsai for your Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 based from the stock Android Honeycomb v3.1 release. We've consolidated the latest Android community developments and rolled in the Bonsai magic to produce a replacement Android OS that will double your stock tablet performance.

Just a few minor changes in this release. Goal right now is to get a stable base that works on all devices.
Update to Voodoo sound v10
Fixed problem with Plex app not streaming video
Kernel tuning which has raised MFlops from about 50 to 80 (AnTuTu score around 5800)
Changed init.d script permissions to accomodate "challenged" editor apps
Install script changes to accomodate more device variations
Know to run on Locked and Unlocked retail Tablets and I/O Tablets
Fixed problem where tablet would not boot with USB cable attached
Reduced delay seen when booting the device

Some of the features of this release include: (credits below)
Android Kernel updated to v2.6.36.4
Overclockable kernel up to 1.4Ghz (based on @pershoot overclocking code)
Kernel module support for tun, cifs, aufs, ntfs, bluetooth mouse, xbox joystick
init.d initialization script support
Ext4 filesystems can be configured without journaling enabled
New ROM packaging and install reduces package size by 20%
Deodexed and png graphics optimized

Credits:
kernel: @pershoot https://github.com/pershoot/galaxy-2636
voodoo sound: @supercurio https://github.com/project-voodoo

Download:
http://www.bonsaigeek.com/content/bonsai-operating-system-rom-samsung-galaxy-tab101

Kernel Update:

http://bonsai4android.com/content/bonsai-v014-kernel-update-samsung-galaxy-tab-101

·
Sith Lord
38 Posts
I love this ROM. On average I doubled my Quadrant Scores; overclocking the kernel to 1.4ghz and setting to performance. I've used this ROM for well over a week, and I can't wait for more updates to it. I haven't found many bugs (reminder that it is a beta version), and lets be honest here: Figuring out the bugs is half the fun of crack flashing. Some users said they were having problems getting set CPU to stick, but I incurred no such problems. If you are looking for something with great potential, give this ROM a flash. The performance increase alone is worth it. GPS functioned fine with Google Maps, I used the GPS Status app to update my satellite data and it works perfect now.

On a small tangent: Anyone else notice how amazing Google Maps looks on this screen with the Satellite Layer turned on? Wowsers.

The one strange thing I've found is that during start up, there is a moment when an image comes up that reminds me something of a TV without signal. But it is normal for now and has no effect on the tabs functionality.

Now I will say this, I slap ADW launcher on just about every device I own. And it works well on the galaxy tab 10.1... and equally well on Bonsai. One screen, with the three widgets I need, and circle launcher pro. The same set up as most of my phones. So feel free to lend further experience you obtain with this ROM right here in the forum thread; as I am sending the dev/site admins a link so they can read it.

·
reenigne esrever
204 Posts
DL'd, pushed and loaded up. Not sure if I am a fan of having to register and then go through a whole checkout process in order to get a download link sent to my email. I am very thankful for the rom though, don't get me wrong.

The one strange thing I've found is that during start up, there is a moment when an image comes up that reminds me something of a TV without signal. But it is normal for now and has no effect on the tabs functionality.
That screen definitely needs to be fixed... lol Especially when it is a very long first boot and it sits like that for a good 5 or 10 seconds.

Will post back after I spend some time on it.

BTW, I wiped cache, dalvik and factory reset before flashing.

·
Sith Lord
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I downloaded the touchwiz version last night and will update the post after work tonight.

Sent from my Htc Thunderbolt, using RootzWiki Forums Premium App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts