Apply In:: CWM Recovery

Carrier:: Sprint

Optional:: Custom Settings

Requires Root:: Yes

Optional:: Requires GApps

Android Version:: 4.1.1 (JB)

Source:: https://github.com/Crossbones

Current version: 2.0.0

This custom Android project is built off of Google android-4.1.1_r4 source code.

The Crossbones Kernel is included in the ICS ROM variant which was modified from the stock Google kernel source code.

We would like to give a special thanks to http://www.goo-inside.me for hosting our buildbot and server. If you have an AOSP project and would like to utilize the buildbot for your project, please signup at http://goo-inside.me/signup
This is the single best tool we have to our disposal. Thank you snipa!

News:
* [10/09] Version 2.0.0 released - First Jellybean release!
* [8/27] Version 1.0.0 released
* [6/19] Version 0.4.1 released
* [4/20] Version 0.3.1 released
* [4/8] Version 0.3.0 released - Android 4.0.4 update
* [3/3] Version 0.2.5 released as preview for 0.3.0
* [1/23] Version 0.2.0 released
* [1/8] Version 0.1.3 released
* [1/6] Since we are using http://www.goo-inside.me to host our builds, all versions of the ROM will show when the download link is clicked
* [1/6] We have a new server hosting our builds. http://www.goo-inside.me Do not directly link to the files and please click ads to support them!
* [1/5] Version 0.1.2 released
* [1/1] Version 0.1.1 released (New Years Day release!)
* [12/27] Version 0.1.0 released which now includes a custom kernel requiring a full wipe and new gapps
* [12/26] Changed all links as we now have an HTTP server. Will have a link to his hosting services soon!
* [12/26] Removed download links for unsupported versions of the ROM.
* [12/20] Version 0.0.2 released requiring a full wipe and new gapps
* [12/20] Using a more complete version of gapps, you must do a full phone wipe if you want to flash them
* [12/19] Version 0.0.1 released
* [12/19] You no longer need to flash Superuser as of 0.0.1
* [12/19] I am now in the phase of adding Crossbones specific branding. Each version will have changes which will make this ROM unique compared to any other AOSP ROM.

Development plan:
* The alpha stage (0.0.X) will be focusing on properly branding the ROM and making sure that it is a solid base.
* The beta stage (0.X.0) will be focusing on custom tweaks, kernels, and modifications.
* The stable stage (X.0.0) will be focusing on fixing any left over issues from the beta stage.

Source code:
https://github.com/Crossbones

Installation instructions:
* Wipe your phone through recovery
* Flash ROM
* Flash gapps
* Reboot

-----------------------------

Download links: (Changelog below)
Current Version: 2.0.0 (Jellybean)
ROM: 2.0.0 Download
Optional: Gapps

Previous versions:
Ice Cream Sandwich:
Optional: Gapps
* Crossbones 1.0.0
* Crossbones v0.4.1
* Crossbones v0.3.1
* Crossbones v0.3.0
* Crossbones v0.2.0
* Crossbones v0.1.3
* Crossbones v0.1.2
* Crossbones v0.1.1
* Crossbones v0.1.0
* Crossbones v0.0.2
* Crossbones v0.0.1

Unsupported Versions: (No longer available for download)
* Crossbones AOSP base build 2
* Crossbones AOSP base build 1

Changelog

2.0.0: (Jellybean)
* First release of Jellybean!
* All bugs in extended power menu fixed
* QuickSettings: completely recoded back end and UI for Jellybean

* First official stable build of ROM
* Updated the proprietary binaries for all supported devices
* Reworked the Welcome app completely - new UI, CHANGELOG now reads from RAW file, shows changes from earlier versions, fully accessable through Settings > About Phone > About Crossbones
* Changed the Settings menu entries and organized them for a cleaner look
* Fixed display issue with the Quick Settings window

* Added Quick Settings to Notification bar!
* Update to Android 4.0.4_r2.1
* Fix screen flash bug when turning screen on/off

* Fixed an issue with flashing on latest version of TWRP

0.3.0:
* Update to Android 4.0.4_r1.1
* Introduce Welcome to Crossbones app. This app shows changes between ROM versions and other information about Crossbones. Expect this app to be expanded before official release of 0.3.0
* Update kernel with more governor and scheduler selections
* Added a Torch LED Flashlight. Longpress Search button or use app icon to activate
* Included a basic File Manager
* Added support for goo-inside.me OTA updates and included app
* ROM Manager OTA updates are now fixed and working
* New gapps are now the standard gapps package. Crossbones gapps are obsolete and are no longer maintained
* Minor bugfixes and typo corrections

0.2.0:
* Default Launcher layout fixed and customized
* Default background changed to PhaseBeam
* Added Extended Reboot Settings
* Added CPU settings into Settings app to control kernel specific CPU controls (governor, frequency, scheduler)
* Added BLN settings into Settings app under "Sound > Notifications & Ringtones"
* Added Donate button to Settings app in case you feel like supporting Crossbones Development
* Removed NSTools from build as the features from Crossbones Kernel have been made native in the Settings app
* Default voicemail number is now your cell phone number, not *86
* Updated kernel to 0.1.3
* Crossbones is now available in Rom Manager
* And lots of little bugfixes that I won't bore you about

0.1.3:
* Added all languages into build per user request

0.1.2:
* Fixed long SMS message send (with code I wrote for CM as my first Android project)
* Added Crossbones bootanimation

0.1.1:
* NSTools is now actually included - I've worked with arifhn to make this possible. You will also be able to download NSTools updates from the market if arifhn releases a new version!
* Camcorder and picture editing effects have been fixed
* Only en_US versions will be built. Less compilation time and I don't have translators for new features.
* Backend changes for allowing the ROM to be built on other Linux distros than just Ubuntu. (I did this specifically for Gentoo as I use Gentoo)

0.1.0:
* Crossbones kernel 0.1.0 added
* New gapps
* Face Unlock fixed
* NSTools added - built from source into ROM
* Settings > About phone > Rom version added

0.0.2:
* Fixed MMS receive
* New gapps now have YouTube
* Fixed missing apps from Market (Including Google Wallet)
* Fixed long SMS message garble - converts SMS > 160 characters into MMS

0.0.1:
* Crossbones brand initial release
* Superuser builds from ChainsDD source, no longer required to flash
* Stock Nexus X boot animation restored - Crossbones boot animation is in the works
* All Live Wallpapers from ICS added
* Multiple changes to how filenames are created when building ROM

AOSP Base Build 2:
* Flashing no longer overwrites custom recovery
* Added some strings while flashing zip
* Fixed minor file naming issues

AOSP Base Build 1:
* Initial release of Crossbones ROM AOSP base. This will be used as the base for building the custom ROM.

Screenshots
(From ICS releases)

Developer Information:
Follow [twitter]Xbones_dev[/twitter] on twitter for updates.
Email: [email protected]
IRC: Server - Freenode Channel - #crossbones

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Crossbones Kernel Information:

Current version: 0.1.5
Kernel is included in ROM and not available or supported as a flashable zip.

Source Code: https://github.com/C...ossbones_kernel

The kernel that's included in the Crossbones is a customized kernel based on Google's latest source (Linux 3.0.8). The idea behind this kernel is to provide a kernel that improves performance and the user experience but keep the stability of the stock kernel.

This kernel has been tested by all members of the team for over 48 hours and everyone has had the same result: nothing but excellent performance. This kernel is not even overclockable (yet) and honestly, doesn't feel like overclocking is needed. Every new feature added to the kernel is tested by all team members to ensure it does not affect stability and only improves the kernel. Our goal with this ROM and kernel is to have better performance and keep the stability of the stock ROM and kernel. Overclocking and undervolting will be added to the kernel eventually so if you're looking to overclock the kernel, flash a kernel that lets you overclock. However, we recommend trying our ROM with our kernel for a day and you'll see how good it is, guaranteed.

Kernel Information:
* LulzActive2 Governor
* SIO Scheduler
* Fixed bug with cpu frequencies being reported to sysfs
* Set noop to default scheduler
* Google's/Samsung latest base (3.0.8)
* BFQ I/O Scheduler (Set as default)
* SLQB slab allocator (Set as default)
* LagFree CPU Governor (Set as default and our favorite)
* BLN
* BLX
* BLD
* Voodoo
* CFS Autogroup scheduling enabled
* Other minor things I forgot I as wrote this (I'll try to take notes)

Credits:
* Google and Samsung for a great base and device
* Ezeekeel for all his awesome contributions and tweaks used in this kernel
* Paolo Valente and Fabio Checconi for BFQ
* Nick Piggin for SLQB
* supercurio for voodoo
* All the other devs that contribute into this great open source community. If I missed anyone and you feel you deserve credit please let me know

Other:
During our testing, some of us preferred using no-op as the default I/O scheduler while other chose BFQ. We suggest you test and be the judge

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Always loved your work. Thank you! Do you got a NS4G now?
Thank you for the compliment!

Yes, I traded my Evo3D in for it because I was having so many issues with the device. Also, I wanted to start developing an ICS ROM and I knew it would be easiest to start with on a Nexus device

·
Android Beginner
90 Posts
This is rrreal nice. Super smooth and fast without all the "issues" of the other builds I have tried. Appreciate the hard work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Liking this ROM a lot - so far (most stable and problem free) and look forward to more updates. Thanks for the work!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

·
Android Beginner
90 Posts
Hate to double post but if you're not running this rom you are missing out. Battery has been good and not a single fc, everything is butter smooth and rock solid. HIGHLY recommend this rom. There aren't many or any that are this nice and problem free.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So far the smoothest and most stable ICS I've used. Love it. But I am still having some issues with Wallet even after reflash of 0.0.2

So here is what I have done:

installed v0.0.1 then installed SU then GAPPS rebooted installed wallet off market and it crashes. Came back here and noticed there was a 0.0.2 and new GAPPS so I went into Clockwork, formatted system, data, cache, boot then installed v0.0.2, then installed the NEW gapps and rebooted. Youtube and wallet were not in the list of apps, so I reflashed and gapps again to make sure. Went to market downloaded it and I am getting a crash whenever I try to open wallet:

Pack Ver: 96 / Pack Name 1.1R411v8

Build ID: IML74K

Exception java.lang.NoSuchMethodError

Source File NfcExecutionEnvironment.java

source class com.android.nfc_extras.NfcExecutionEnvrionment

If there is anything specific you need from the logs let me know and ill pm/paste them, or if I am doing something stupid I overlooked please pelt me with callings of nub. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
So far the smoothest and most stable ICS I've used. Love it. But I am still having some issues with Wallet even after reflash of 0.0.2

So here is what I have done:

installed v0.0.1 then installed SU then GAPPS rebooted installed wallet off market and it crashes. Came back here and noticed there was a 0.0.2 and new GAPPS so I went into Clockwork, formatted system, data, cache, boot then installed v0.0.2, then installed the NEW gapps and rebooted. Youtube and wallet were not in the list of apps, so I reflashed and gapps again to make sure. Went to market downloaded it and I am getting a crash whenever I try to open wallet:

Pack Ver: 96 / Pack Name 1.1R411v8

Build ID: IML74K

Exception java.lang.NoSuchMethodError

Source File NfcExecutionEnvironment.java

source class com.android.nfc_extras.NfcExecutionEnvrionment

If there is anything specific you need from the logs let me know and ill pm/paste them, or if I am doing something stupid I overlooked please pelt me with callings of nub. Thanks!
When flashing the new gapps package or 0.0.2, you must do a full wipe. Factory data reset. Wipe /system, /data, and /cache then flash rom then new gapps. If you try to flash over an existing data partition you will get all kinds of force closes.

Wallet is not included in gapps but YouTube is. Make sure you have the proper gapps file, its labeled with a v4. Also, I have not tested any of this with CWM only TWRP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a heads up, as my post said I did format and flash in that order but I downloaded GAPPS from this thread and it is still linked to the old version. I went to XDA and found your thread there and downloaded the right version and all is well. I cleared cache on my browser just to make sure the links weren't outdated on my end.

Thanks for the rom, runs great.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Just a heads up, as my post said I did format and flash in that order but I downloaded GAPPS from this thread and it is still linked to the old version. I went to XDA and found your thread there and downloaded the right version and all is well. I cleared cache on my browser just to make sure the links weren't outdated on my end.

Thanks for the rom, runs great.
The guy who maintains the XDA thread copied and pasted the links from this thread. LOL
I'm going to make this less confusing and add the filenames next to the download so people can check to make sure they have the right file. I can also start posting md5sums to avoid these kinds of issues

Edit: The link text was correct, but the link itself was not! Error on my end I'm extremely sorry for any inconvience, I will have a server soon to hose files from which will end up making this a lot easier for me. Also, will be including a md5sum for each file.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bad News: for 0.0.3
I've spent all night playing with Facelock trying to get it working on our devices.

Issue is, as it seems, is that all of the intent calls in the source code refer to intents that don't exist in the FaceLock.apk AndroidManifest.xml.

I've tried to get the existing version working with the ROM. Without downloading 4.0.1 (or possibly 4.0.2) source code and completely backporting the methods used in those android versions to invoke FaceLock properly, I'm currently only able to do a few things with the app:
* Set it up to recognize my face
* Run the tutorial.
* "Face Unlock" will appear in the "Screen Lock" menu setting.
* Upon locking and unlocking the phone, a black box appears where the camera should load and a message saying "Face Unlock couldn't start is displayed.
* Android reverts to unlock by PIN or Pattern depending on what you chose during setup

There are two options from this point on:
* Attempt to backport the correct intents and methods used to invoke FaceLock from an older ICS revision.
* Wait until Google fixes the FaceLock app so the manifest matches the hardcoded intents in Settings and framework in android 4.0.3.

I spent a long time debugging this tonight and as much as I'd like to see this feature working, it's probably a smarter idea to wait for Google to release an update for the FaceLock app itself. (If they coded their ROM this way, there must be changes coming to the FaceLock app which will fix these force closes once an update is released).

Although....I might poke around and see how much work would need to be done so we can have it working in the meantime.

Good News for 0.0.3: (so far)
* Will have market purchases working
* Downloads through the browser will work while connected to WiMAX

Merry Christmas

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update for Christmas day?

°•neXus S4G•°
Sent from my Nexus S 4G

We will have Xmas from Xbones later in the day once I'm back home...provided that the buildbot is back up!

There are some surprises in store for Christmas!

Merry Christmas

1 - 20 of 64 Posts