Android OS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Developer
260 Posts
index.php?app=downloads&module=display%C
[aimg]http://rootzwiki.com/index.php?app=downloads&module=display§ion=screenshot&full=1&id=44&record=3857[/aimg][aimg]http://rootzwiki.com/index.php?app=downloads&module=display§ion=screenshot&full=1&id=44&record=3858[/aimg][adiv=ipsBox clear][adiv=ipsBox_container ipsPad][adiv=ipsLayout ipsLayout_withright ipsLayout_bigright clearfix][adiv=ipsLayout_content][adiv=ipsLayout_right][adiv=ipsPad ipsSideBlock]File Name: Droid 3 Safestrap (2nd-System Bootstrap / Recovery) [12/16/2011]
File Submitter: Hashcode
File Submitted: 03 Nov 2011
File Updated: Today, 12:29 AM
File Category: Droid 3
Theme: Blur Theme
Root: Requires root.
Custom Kernel: No.
Smali Edits: No.
ROM Manager Support: No.
[aurl=/files/download/44-/]Download[/aurl][aurl=[URL=http://rootzwiki.com/index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=changelog&file=44%5DChangelog%20%5B/aurl%5D%5Baurl=/index.php?app=downloads&module=post%C2%A7ion=submit&do=edit_main&id=44%5DEdit%20Mod%5B/aurl%5D%5B/adiv%5D%5B/adiv%5D%5Badiv=ipsLayout_content%5D]http://rootzwiki.com/index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=changelog&file=44]Changelog[/aurl][aurl=/index.php?app=downloads&module=post§ion=submit&do=edit_main&id=44]Edit Mod[/aurl][/adiv][/adiv][adiv=ipsLayout_content][/URL][ WARNING: All backups made with other Recoveries (even older Safestrap versions) will NOT be accessible in the new version.

I moved the location of backup files to /sdcard/safestrap/backup (vs. /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup) so that users didn't accidentally restore a 2nd-system backup over their primary system in another recovery utility.

Please perform a backup while in Non-Safe mode to have a full 1st and 2nd system backup for disaster recovery. ]

** INSERT STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible for any damage you do to your phone using my tools. Always have a fastboot available for disaster recovery. **

Download Here

CHANGES
  • [12/16] Fixed bug: /cache has the wrong partition # causing restores to abort.
  • [12/14] Added "search" button binding on splashscreen to skip and continue booting
  • [12/14] Added "Disable Safestrap" item in the "Advanced" menu for those users who end up in a Recovery Loop (where no matter what they do they always enter recovery).
  • [12/14] Updated hijack for better ICS binary loading
Make sure you update BOTH Safestrap.apk's if you have it installed on both ROMs. (This eliminates any "Old version" warnings.)

KNOWN ISSUES:
  • [11/03] Added "Quick Safe System Toggle" for users who absolutely don't want the backup/restore between Safe System toggles. This would only be for users who are using stock-based ROMs on both 1st and 2nd system. Even then if you have a hung boot.. wipe data/cache and work from a restore.
  • I need to handle the default "Reboot Recovery" triggers that Koush's Bootstrap handles. ROMs like Liberty which have those options won't work correctly till I add them.
SPECIAL THANKS TO:
  • Koush who develops such a GREAT recovery system and the makes the source available for others to use.
  • The Atrix dev team who I pulled the internal/external SD card support from
  • The Defy dev team that originally developed the Bootmenu source which I stripped down and used for the Splashscreen.
As always, let me know what you think![/adiv][/adiv][/adiv][/adiv][/adiv]

·
Developer
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
version 1.05 updates:
  • Fixed advanced restore bug where partitions would drop from the list upon re-entry
  • Added some ICS recovery graphics
  • Swap from 1st system to 2nd system faster (removed /preinstall and /cache from stashed data)

·
Supporting Member
90 Posts
If I'm understanding things correctly, when performing a backup while in Non-Safe mode, then going back to Safe mode, you MUST restore either a backup or flash a ROM to get up and running again?

Initially I did a backup in Safe mode this morning. Then after seeing the suggestion to do a Non-Safe backup, did that, returned to Safe mode, rebooted ... and though it looked like I was were I'd been on my stock set-up, clicking on anything just froze my D3. So I had to return to Safestrap to restore the safe backup from this morning. Or should I have restored the nonsafe backup to return to my state just prior to doing the non-safe backup??

Normally I catch onto things quickly (been rooting since Droid days), but I'm finding Safestrap process vague. It seems, for example, there should be a caution to do a backup in Safe mode immediately prior to doing a backup in Non-Safe mode (or restore the non-safe backup???) ... as though I made a Safe backup earlier this morning, I ended up losing all the TiBu restores I'd done between then and now. Not a pleasant surprise.

Yeah, I've been searching various forums to try to find more clear step-by-step for how things are done in Safestrap but not finding any so far.

Not wanting to screw things up any further, I'll wait to hear if I should restore the non-safe backup (from within safe mode).

·
Android Lover
1,095 Posts
Yea I'm same boat. I even was hoping for a YouTube video. Visual stimulation is always best for learning. Do we delete the bootstrap app? I'm confused on the actually safe strap. Do I back up my current rom then reboot and flash a new rom or can I just flash a back up when all I'm doing mostly is flashing mods that may or may not work.
If I'm understanding things correctly, when performing a backup while in Non-Safe mode, then going back to Safe mode, you MUST restore either a backup or flash a ROM to get up and running again?

Initially I did a backup in Safe mode this morning. Then after seeing the suggestion to do a Non-Safe backup, did that, returned to Safe mode, rebooted ... and though it looked like I was were I'd been on my stock set-up, clicking on anything just froze my D3. So I had to return to Safestrap to restore the safe backup from this morning. Or should I have restored the nonsafe backup to return to my state just prior to doing the non-safe backup??

Normally I catch onto things quickly (been rooting since Droid days), but I'm finding Safestrap process vague. It seems, for example, there should be a caution to do a backup in Safe mode immediately prior to doing a backup in Non-Safe mode (or restore the non-safe backup???) ... as though I made a Safe backup earlier this morning, I ended up losing all the TiBu restores I'd done between then and now. Not a pleasant surprise.

Yeah, I've been searching various forums to try to find more clear step-by-step for how things are done in Safestrap but not finding any so far.

Not wanting to screw things up any further, I'll wait to hear if I should restore the non-safe backup (from within safe mode).
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

·
Developer
260 Posts

Don't restore the non-safe backups in Safe Mode.

Think of Safestrap as 2 recoveries:
- Neither recovery *should* touch your original system
- In 1st system (non-safe), you're booting off of your main system partition, treating /preinstall as an actual preinstall partition and you have 1 version of your /data
- In 2nd system (safe mode), you're booting up off of the /preinstall partition (called /system), and you have a 2nd version of your /data

When you toggle the Safe Mode on and off: this swaps from system #1 to system #2 (and vice-versa), and during that swap, it "stashes" your /data for safekeeping (1 version of /data for each system) Which is why you shouldn't have to do a backup/restore.

So if you need to flash a ROM to the Safe System... and you wipe data/cache before swapping to Safe Mode.. then you've wiped your Non-Safe data.

Which is why you shouldn't mix and match non-safe and safe backups.. the partitions are used differently on each side.

Hopefully, that makes sense.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts