Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Superuser
258 Posts
ApeX 2.0 for Droid 2 Gingerbread has finally reached the Release Candidate landmark! While this new build is completely blurless and 100% AOSP unlike previous versions, the same philosophy remains. Build a fast, clean, reliable ROM that is enjoyable to use, and customizeable.

Requirements
  • You must be on the D2 Gingerbread leak or a ROM based on it.
  • System should be: 4.5.153.A955-continuous.Verizon.en.US
  • Kernel should be: 2.6.32.9-gd72dc5d
    [email protected]#1

Disclaimer
Code:
As always, you must take responsibility for what you do to your own phone. <br />
I have created this ROM and tested it to the best of my ability. <br />
The instructions are written to make sure that users have success installing and using the ROM. <br />
However, if anything goes wrong and your phone is damaged or rendered useless, I do not take any responsibility.
Additional Credits
I would like to especially thank kejar31 for teaching me his secret sauce technique for compiling AOSP apps for the Blur Framework. I'd like to thank jrummy16 and drod2169 for helping me on Gtalk and troubleshooting some issues, and _Mycahya_ and Mobile_Sensei for helping me fix some of the theming! Also, I'd like to thank Dr. Carpenter for making the new boot logo.

Of course, credits to P3Droid, Team Black Hat, MyDroidWorld for the Gingerbread leaks, the CyanogenMod team for many of the apps, Google for many more apps, Motorola, and all the nice brave people on Twitter for testing this for me, helping me squash bugs, and submitting beautiful wallpapers!

If I left anyone out, please let me know so I can properly credit you!

Changelog in RC2
  • Completely Blurless! Pure Google Experience.
  • Cleaned up framework with help from Mobile_Sensei
  • CM7 style battery icons - percentages, 10% increments
  • Original AOSP 2.3.3 animations and transitions (slightly faster)
  • Additional ringtones and notifications from CM7
  • Fixed white background when setting a Pattern or PIN/Password lockscreen
  • Battery usage can now be accessed from Settings->About Phone
  • Google Car Home is now included
  • Updated Superuser and su binary to latest versions (thanks ChainsDD!)
  • Tweaked Apex blurbs ;-)
  • New Boot Logo (Google)

Features

• Android 2.3.3 based on the Gingerbread OTA (4.5.596)
  • All apps replaced with AOSP/CM7 counterparts (compiled from source for DX, by me)
  • Stock Gingerbread Theme
  • Bloat and Market apps removed
  • Facebook for Android App syncs w/ Contacts!
  • DSP Manager (visual equalizer) for headphones, phone speaker, and BT
  • MusicMod with gesture controls
  • Dev Tools, Spare Parts, Terminal Emulator for fun tweakin'
  • ApeX wallpaper gallery with user submitted wallpapers!
  • Quadrant "Turbo" Mode for mad scores
  • Witty Protips (ApeX Blurbs)

Screenshots

Scripts
  1. poweroverwhelming : activate Quadrant "turbo" mode
  2. sys : mount system r/w and r/o

Things to know
  • Market apps are removed (Gmail, Maps, Voice Search, etc). Remember to re-enable Gmail sync in your account settings after downloading it.
  • There is no "double lock" mechanism. If you set a pattern or PIN unlock, it's a good idea to lower timeout to 0
  • Sync Facebook contacts using the official app
  • If you need to activate your phone, hold down the menu button at the activation screen to bring up the keyboard.

BUGS
  • Changing volume during a BT phone call causes a closeout and BT to stop working until a reboot. Please don't change the volume during a BT phone call for now. I am looking into the solution.

Installation Instructions
  1. Meet all the requirements listed at the top of the post
  2. Wipe data/cache, dalvik cache (only wipe cache and dalvik if coming from RC1)
  3. Flash Apex

LINK

Apex V2.0.0 RC 2

73c5f0a47094ef783ded533b6d9f59e2 *Fabolous_ApeX_2-0_RC2-D2.zip

If you enjoy my work, consider buying me a beer

Donations FabDroid

·
Superuser
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Restoring Removed Apps

I have made some flashable .zip files for common Blur apps that people want to restore. Check the following link first to see if I made one for the app you want. If not, then follow the steps below to manually restore Blur. Flashable .zip files here.

1. Game plan -- figure out which .apks you need to restore to get the functionality you want. I won't be providing much support in this regard.
2. Download the removed apps archive here. This is NOT a flashable .zip file.
3. Extract the removed apps archive and cherry pick the .apks you wish to restore. Copy them onto your sdcard.
4. Run the following commands in Terminal Emulator to restore apps:
Code:
<br />
su<br />
sys -rw<br />
cp /sdcard/APKNAME.apk /system/app<br />
chmod 755 /system/app/APKNAME.apk<br />
5. Repeat the bottom two lines for all remaining .apks to restore

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
I got some problems with vibration when i install the REVOlution theme, is this normal? or it's a bug? thanks

Great work btw

·
Average Android
94 Posts
The only issue i found so far is the market apps not auto syncing. Not a big deal amazing rom though soooooo fast

·
Android Beginner
13 Posts
Hey I dont get the instructions to add the blur back on there :/.. wish there was just a blur version. can anyone help?

·
Android Lover
271 Posts
For some reason on stock browser it wouldn't let me download the removed apps link. Downloading now on dolphin browser the BlurHome zip didn't work for me hopefully ill have some luck and get it running

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Superuser
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You sure it didn't install? Motorola doesn't know how to write Android apps so it doesn't come up as an option when you press home. Download Home Switcher to see it.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

·
Android Lover
271 Posts
Fabolous said:
You sure it didn't install? Motorola doesn't know how to write Android apps so it doesn't come up as an option when you press home. Download Home Switcher to see it.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
It installs but when I remove the Launcher.apk I don't have a home at all so I have to go back into recovery and reflash. I tried putting it on there myself with root explorer, but it won't let me install. I just tried the homeswitcher app and it keeps saying "This is not a MotoBlur device"
. I just can't get this BlurHome to get installed

·
Beer Baron
326 Posts
HerroMoto said:
It installs but when I remove the Launcher.apk I don't have a home at all so I have to go back into recovery and reflash. I tried putting it on there myself with root explorer, but it won't let me install. I just tried the homeswitcher app and it keeps saying "This is not a MotoBlur device"
. I just can't get this BlurHome to get installed
When you put it in system/app with root explorer did you change the permissions to read for group and others and read/write for owner?

·
Android Beginner
13 Posts
i tried the root explorer trick to and changing permits and no good. double tap home isnt working either..well wasnt for me

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
ROM awesome, donation sent....does anyone else have a system slowdown and freeze when battery level is low? I had this issue with beta and again with RC....

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
how can i get my word sugestions and punctuation stuff to come up while using the physical keyboard? i thought it had to do with the "latinIME.apk" file and ive already installed it. im only still getting the sugestions when only using the onscreen keyboard. I use my physical keyboard a lot more so any help would be great. thanks

·
Android Beginner
11 Posts
Let me start with saying this rom is blazin fast. Thanks for all the hard work. I may have found a bug though, when using the aosp clock app, and trying to switch ringtones if I try to use system ringtones I got thrown into a quick hot reboot. If I use tone picker I'm able to switch ringontes without a problem. Other than that I can't say I've had a single other problem so far

Sent from my Apedex DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
CELL TECH
1,173 Posts
Crazy rom, its scary fast and I havent even overclocked yet, this is the longest my battery has ever lasted, my new favorite.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.