Android OS Forum banner

[Rom]Gingerbread Phone 7 V0.5(12/11/11)

10K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  MistaWolfe 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
GingerbreadPhone7

This is a Windows Phone 7 based ROM that I have compiled for x2. A lot of work has been put into this ROM and with the help of the x2 community, this ROM has become what it is today. Thank you for all your support and I hope you enjoy!

Check this guy OUT!!!
Big shout out to user victimssun for helping me with the .9s I was having issues with! Without him I wouldn't have got this update. Thanks man.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage to your device. Use at your own discretion.

See Post #2 for Tips, Future Release Information, and How you can support the development of this ROM. Don't forget to read the setup below!

GBP7 v.5
Download Here

Features
v0.5
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
-Support on GingerBread Kernel 2.3.5
-DeoDexed
-ZipAligned
-De-Bloated
-Blur"less"
-2nd Init by navendrob
-Storage Flippy-Floppy by navendrob
-Pull-Down Toggles by navendrob
-Speedy v6 Scripts by 0vermind
-BusyBox 1.9
-SuperUser 3.0Beta
-Swype Beta PreInstalled
-Nexus Prime bootanimation
-WP7 Theme
-Ad-Blocking
-Droid x2 Desktop
-Persistent & Full ADB
-UI Animations and Tweaks
-build.prop mods
-gps tweaks(US)
-Inverted Setings
-Themed Google Apps
-TeslaLED & Screen Grabber PreInstalled
-Themed FileManger
-WP7 Calculator
-STILL UPDATING THIS!!!!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
SetUp:
For references, read THIS POST for download links!
-SBF to Stock 2.3.4 kernel and apply the 2.3.5 UPDATE.ZIP to achieve stock 2.3.5 prior to flashing this ROM!
-Once rooted with Zrush, go into BSR and DataWipe/CacheWipe/DalvikCacheWipe your device.
-Flash GBP7.
-Go to Launcher 7! You may want to launch Launcher 7 by default with the check box provided!
-Go into a Google App(market or gmail) and add your google account.
-Enjoy WP7 on your Android Device
Don't forget to comment and give your opinions here on the forums!!!!
-Check the 2nd post for other tips on using this rom.

Known Bugs:
-Blur Setup fc's after adding accounts *This is due to removing blur launcher, I'm in the process of getting this fixed. I need a different accounts and settings if someone wouldn't mind showing me how to do this*
-GMail and GVoice need text tweaked. *I need some help with these because I have tried every way possible to fix the text Issues here.

Check out =yankoa @deviantart.com for some nice icons for your tiles.

Credits:
victimssun - Did a lot of patching for me on the .9s as well as the apps themselves.
xkape - For finding the tylenol for my headaches

TheMuffStuff - For helping with the xml issues.
ryman222 - For random help and support.
And the other developers for the x2 that keep us awake at night

If I missed someone, please PM me and we will see what we can do to edit this post.

Add me on Google+ and join my circle to get notifications on your G+ account.
https://plus.google....195341035/posts

Previous Releases:
v0.43 Patch----Flash over v0.4
v0.4
GBP7 v0.3
GBP7 v0.24b
GBP7 v0.2b

Donations are not required, but always a nice gift. If you feel as though what I have did/am doing is beneficial to you or the community, then feel free to help someone out. I'm not an "Expert Developer", but I do try, and I plan on continuing my efforts to bring you a better user experience. I have enjoyed the efforts I have put in, as I'm sure you will enjoy my work. Click the Donate Button provided if you want to donate or simply push the thanks button below. Either way, Thank You for your Time.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
History and Explanation of this ROM:

This ROM was started as a Project to help me along the ways to becoming a developer for Android. I don't classify myself as a "good" developer, but this ROM has taught me a lot and the information I have come across since the initial build of this ROM has made me that much better at becoming what I need to be to make this ROM and Project a reality.

The reason why I choose GO! Apps over AOSP is the fact that they have so many features and really isolate a lot of battery drain. The developers @GO! have did an amazing job with these apps and are used in place until I finish building the actual wp7 apps from source. Once I have accomplished a good foundation for those apps, I will replace them to match the theme of this ROM. The goal is to get wp7 UI on Android and not just by replacing a few apps here and there. This will be a project and the day that this ROM is "complete" is when ALL apps(everything that I or any developer supporting this ROM can touch) with a WP7 styling.

Why? Because I honestly feel that WP7 has one of the cleanest and nicest UI's that I have seen on a mobile device. But I choose Android over wp7 because of the Potential the Android platform has with the UNLIMITED customization and the openness of Android. WP7 will probably never have the number of features that Android can offer and with Google's push to keep things open as much as they can, Microsoft has no chance. So, with that comes me and my project(I'm sure there are others as well) to get that WP7 clean and slick UI to our Android Devices.

The Blur camera is used over AOSP because I have had less compatibility issues with the Blur Camera as opposed to AOSP; especially trying to record Hi Def videos on the x2. Soon there will be an AOSP Camera app and soon everything will be built from source.

Tips:
-Check out =yankoa @deviantart.com for some nice icons for your tiles.
-To unpin from the home screen, Hold>Click Upper Right icon.
-To move tiles, Hold>Drag to where ever>Back Button.
-To enable swype, just go through the installer process. Once complete. You can uninstall the Installer.
-To enable the WP7 Popups. Go to PopUP SMS and enable through that application. You can then Change the Tile color for the Popup. It will be a Block at the top of your screen when you receive a Text Message. You can click on the Text to view in Default SMS app or click X to remove the Tile. You can then disable by uninstalling the App or Untick the box. Make sure you set Go SMS to not disable other Notifications. And to Turn off Go SMS Notifications.
-You can remove apps from the Drawer by holding the app of choice and remove. **This does not Uninstall**
-You can change the App Drawer to the normal android drawer within Launcher7 Settings. Just press menu select option.
-You can change the Tile Color within Launcher7 settings
-To pin other apps to front page, go to drawer, select and hold app, pin to home. Then in the settings you can choose what options you want for the tile.

Warning: DO NOT REMOVE LAUNCHER 7 FROM SYSTEM/APP FOLDER! YOU WILL KILL THE LAUNCHER AND FORCE A SBF IF YOU HAVEN'T SETUP SYSTEM RECOVERY!

How you can help:
-Check the Known Bugs section of the first post if you find a bug. If the bug is not listed, Post within this thread.
-Donate to the developer/Press Thanks Button/Nominate for Developer of the Month.
-There are some issues I am having with the theming. If you see an error(white text on white background), send me a PM or post on this thread the solution. I know some but not all and the quicker I get the solution, the quicker I can get you and the rest of the community a Patch.

Future Release Info:
-Sense UI Transitions
I'm not totally sure if this is possible due to a locked BootLoader, But I plan on building a new launcher from the ground up on the next major release which should allow me to make these transitions and also add live tile support. This is not something to be talked about at current on this forum. PM me if you have any advice or know what you are doing when it comes to developing, to get this feature quicker.

-Port/Build wp7 system apps(dialer, phone, sms, etc)
This is going to be my next venture in android development. I want to build the apps from source and try to recreate the look and function of the wp7 apps for a better wp7 look.

-Theme Manager
Of all my plans, this will probably be the first to be completed; as for future development goes. This will allow quick swapping of the theme. The overall look will stay inverted with color accents(hold on a notification) for a more custom look when you flash this rom. The idea should work with other x2 roms, and possibly other devices. The Theme Manager will allow users to also create his or her own theme(whether custom, UOT, and/or within the actual theme manager) and allow quick swapping of elements within the ROM. This will more than likely be a GBP7 only release, with two market versions(paid/free) for other developers and users to use. Think of it like Liberty Toolbox, but for themes.

-PowerMod v2
I'm going to probably start testing this after I get a patch or two released, and when the next major release comes out(2.3.5) I will probably be including this if the tests go well.

#6 ·
Np, update its coming soon. Hopefully this will be out of beta around next week. I need some more feedback on the rom tho. Do u guys think I should keep this on the Atrix port or go to 2.3.3 for the final release?

Tapin' the Talk on my GBP7

#10 ·
at least it's something different, i've always been a little curious of wp7 layout. at least it's nice change of pace. once you fully get rid of blur then i'll probably check it out, hopefully theme support is added or at least a way to adjust coloration of the UI. i would drop some beer money for that :)

#11 ·
neowiz73 said:
at least it's something different, i've always been a little curious of wp7 layout. at least it's nice change of pace. once you fully get rid of blur then i'll probably check it out, hopefully theme support is added or at least a way to adjust coloration of the UI. i would drop some beer money for that :)
currently, you can change the theme of the Launcher within the Launcher Settings menu. In the other wp7-like apps, you can change the accents within their settings. And beer money would be nice haha

#13 ·
PSA!!!!
I SHOULD be releasing a theme patch within the next few days. Im going to try and pump it out tonight for you guys though. The theme will be completely reworked from scratch(no UOT). Also a couple other update errors will be patched; also, the Camera and Gallery will be linked together for easy switching. Build.Prop updates and other system tweaks.

Also, Here is an update to future development. Keep in mind these may come at random times. I will not answer a question for etas on these. You will know when the development is in Beta or complete on any of these with a PSA. If you want to help in this project and know how to build these or give advice or pointers. Feel free to PM me the information. Please don't flood the thread with questions on these.

Future Development:
-Sense UI Transitions
I'm not totally sure if this is possible due to a locked BootLoader, But I plan on building a new launcher from the ground up on the next major release which should allow me to make these transitions. This is not something to be talked about at current on this forum. PM me if you have any advice or know what you are doing when it comes to developing, to get this feature quicker.

-Port/Build wp7 system apps(dialer, phone, sms, etc)
This is going to be my next venture in android development. I want to build the apps from source and try to recreate the look and function of the wp7 apps for a better wp7 look.

-Theme Manager
Of all my plans, this will probably be the first to be completed; as for future development goes. This will allow quick swapping of the theme. The overall look will stay inverted with color accents(hold on a notification) for a more custom look when you flash this rom. The idea should work with other x2 roms, and possibly other devices. The Theme Manager will allow users to also create his or her own theme(whether custom, UOT, and/or within the actual theme manager) and allow quick swapping of elements within the ROM. This will more than likely be a GBP7 only release, with two market versions(paid/free) for other developers and users to use. Think of it like Liberty Toolbox, but for themes.

-PowerMod v2
I'm going to probably start testing this after I get a patch or two released, and when the next major release comes out(2.3.5) I will probably be including this if the tests go well.

Anyway, here is some news for all the GBP7 followers and likers to dwell on for a while. I hope you enjoy the rom and expect a theme Patch and Market update patch within a day or two.

-Peperm1nt

#14 ·
BUmp! for update to v43!

This will patch the theme issue and market issue with calculator. Flash this over your existing v4 GBP7. Im currently updating the rom to v5 which includes support for 2.3.5 and Im bout 3/4 the way through with it. Just wanted to give you guys this patch to tide things over. Happy Holidays and Enjoy!

#19 ·
im curious as to how u can use this on any gingerbread version when they all have different kernels....
just wondering
Tapin' the Talk on the xSquared

Look at the files(outside of app folder) fun 233 to 234. Most don't change, verify by checking dates. And this is true for 235 as well. The only changes are in the kernel for the most part and app version. Also, this uses the Atrix Port as a base on which was developed for 233. But the app versions are 234.

Hope this helps anyone wondering.

#17 ·
X0dus said:
I've wondered the same, Ash, but I always assumed 2nd init was being used. <-- Possibly showing my lack of understanding of 2nd init.
but even our 2nd init can't run a different kernel...
I am pretty sure..I thought even the atrix ports we have need you to be on 2.3.3 cuz of the kernel. and they definitely use 2nd init....

just wondering ....

#18 ·
ashclepdia said:
im curious as to how u can use this on any gingerbread version when they all have different kernels....
just wondering
They use roughly the same kernel configuration(and most minor versions don't bring many changes our way), so 2nd-init and hijack can function across many versions with relatively few changes.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Not really...

... uhh hmm...

Lets see, Framework Edits, GingerBread Battery Fix, Performance Mods, Battery Mods, NO Blur, GO! Apps(read 2nd post for explanation, Go App Themes, WP7 stylings all around, Font Edits, Not to mention the quadrant scores and the Battery Life is better than other roms(so far for me this is true to my current GBP7 ROM and the current Eclipse release), Check the Features tab and there are more. This isn't just a "launcher" replacement.....

Oh and 2nd Posts describes where I'm going with this ROM. Please don't dis.

-Peperm1nt

#24 ·
not sure if you plan on coding the entire WP7 experience into an android mod, but just figured I through out the idea of using the miui v4 as a base. of course that would take some serious work. but if you could code that with your custom launcher 7 build I think you would be onto something. or even using the base ics and just doing some custom UI elements to that rather than gingerbread, considering the gpu utilization of ics. but whichever... i wished i could help out, but i'm an android newb, but have experience with coding and understanding how coding works. and i'm a quick learner, I learned how to build a rocket motor in 3 days, so i figure i could handle this if anyone gave me some pointers
I'd love to help out, I use Ubuntu 11.10 and Windows 7 atm. primarly Ubuntu... PM me sometime i'll give ya my contact info. My strongest point is UI graphics and icons etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.