Android OS Forum banner
1041 - 1060 of 1323 Posts

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Interesting facts I found when checking out J.C.'s latest build. His Bluetooth snapshot build from November was downloaded over 13000 times. His Bluetooth snapshot build from December downloaded over 7700 times and his VPN snapshot build over 5500 times. All that download activity of just J.C.'s builds and very little activity here about it tells me that virtually no one is having any problems with them which I can attest to myself. His January KERN3 has been downloaded over 1850 times and same thing, all is quiet here. His second KERN3 build was posted at 9:30 this morning and has already been downloaded over 260 times.

And what is interesting about that, the first post I saw about it was over in XDA at 3:30 this afternoon and not until 5:30 here in Rootzwiki. We sure do have a lot of lurkers here that don't have much to say. :p

·
Registered
94 Posts
Simply flashing a CM11 4.4 ROM (clean or dirty flash) means you will end up with a completely messed up storage sd card partition layout and actually a system which isn't really usable in the long run, forget it. However, with patience there is a way around this though, as Milaq rightly states in his original post and that is to re-partition the drive (sd card) so the maximum amount is given over to data as opposed to media storage, this means that when the 4.4 rom is flashed it sees the whole of the sd card and treats it as a single drive which is the way its all going using new datamedia builds. This however is not straightforward and takes some thinking about, but it can be done and is well worth it in the long run. I sugget that RolandDeschain79 really needs to update this and other posts as it is extremely misleading to let people think they can simply flash 4.4 - CM11 following his guides - as you really should not, especially as the newer kernels are being used. The video tutorials created by RolandDeschain79 are absolutely magnificent and have helped me a lot but I would like to suggest that a whole new video is created (the existing one is good but could be improved) to fully explain re-partitioning with 'Tailor' (this is the only way to do it forget all other ways using Apes flashable fixes and the like as they do not work properly). Sideload the ROM and Gapps using ADB from recovery using the feature in CWM 6.0.4.6, is really the only proper way to install CM11 KitKat on the Touchpad and make use of its storage capability in one simple easy to navigate installation. I will help others where I can as I just spent the whole of yesterday figuring this all out and now have a 32GB Touchpad that runs Milaq's CM11 the way it should be, its fantastic and well worth the effort.
Thanks, following your instructions, I re-partitioned using Tailor in WebOS and did a clean installation with cwm 6.0.4.6. And now everything works perfect except with one instance of auto shutdown because of low battery, which was not the case. And after that, it simply runs smooth. Now one function that I desperately would like to have is a working BT so that I can do some simple programming on my touchpad.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to ROMs on Touchpad and I am learning a great deal from the FAQs. I have had problems like no gapps and I was able to ascertain how to locate the correct gapps to use. I have found the method to install and deinstall. I have t say I am stumped on thie one though. My system is coming up with what looks like a cell phone interface and I cannot get it back to an earlier working version android. Is there a process to WIPE, like really WIPE this thing clean? And start over?

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, now that Bluetooth is fixed, I am ready to jump into the new experimental-3kern_test from jcsullins.

I don't really need the camera, but Bluetooth support was a deal killer until now!

Rebooted and now running 4.2.2 Kernel [email protected] #1 Sat Jan 25 10:54:27 CST 2014

Thanks everyone (I hope)!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I am new to ROMs on Touchpad and I am learning a great deal from the FAQs. I have had problems like no gapps and I was able to ascertain how to locate the correct gapps to use. I have found the method to install and deinstall. I have t say I am stumped on thie one though. My system is coming up with what looks like a cell phone interface and I cannot get it back to an earlier working version android. Is there a process to WIPE, like really WIPE this thing clean? And start over?
If you wish to remove Android completly and start over you will need to run iMarck90's ACMEUninstaller2.

Don't forget to checkout my full install from scratch thread here too:)

[ROM GUIDE] How to install Android on the HP TouchPad "The Easy Way"

New build with kernel 3.x from jcsullins http://goo.im/devs/jcsullins/cmtouchpad/testing/cm-10.1-20140125-EXPERIMENTAL-3KERN_TEST-tenderloin.zip

This is the changelog

<jcsullins> yasin: bluetooth, vpn, fix USB connect failure, multi-charger detection, a6 read/write retry (avoid spontaneous batt=0% when it's not), a6 reflash support, sesnors fixes, sleep power drain improvement, fix recents not working until first sleep

Camera still not working.

Tested with ACMEInstaller4
Thank you for posted the detailed information about the build, I will add it to the OP of this thread. I wonder what A6 reflash support means. Does that mean it will work when we run it or is there some sort of built in reflash option for it. I'm thrilled to see the progress Jcsullins has made with CM10.1 and 3.0 kernel :grin:

How's the battery drain?
I was getting an average of around -8 to -20 during deep sleep but I had to charge it shortly after. This is a good low to medium battery drain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How's the battery drain?
Been running JCS Jan 25/14-3.x build for about 24 hours
Running at 192/ 1.52 clock speed
BMW shows -6mn during sleep, steady
I did the A6 flash through WebOS, but no additional improvment
So this seems a little higher than the steady -3ma I was getting with JCS BT/VPN build. Not Bad.
In both situations I get occasional spikes to -30 as various timed apps kick in (email, etc.) but only once every 1-2 hours

The charging system seems better to me as well. I reported a few troubles with the earlier 3.x JCS build. But no troubles here. I routinely use a USB/ wall plug combo for charging the TP. It has a USB rating of up to 2amps.

The BT seems to function well, connecting remembering and reconnecting. I only use one BT device, the HP BT keyboard (using for this message).
The TP sleeps, wakes, as does the WIFI (off during sleep), very well and smoothly

Installed the Tablet UI zip (20131211) which I prefer for appearance. It installed OK and is running flawlessly so far

Flash content is a little twitchy in Dolphin browser, but when it runs its smooth and clear. No need to do the old "double tap". the flash just seems to load and start right up. I will see if I can reproduce when it works and doesn't - could just be operator error.

Just waiting for Dorregary's fix for the camera with ION memory fix. what a nice treat that would be!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wonderful! I flashed a few hours ago. I'll see how battery drain is for me as well as overall experience. (coming from JCS vpn build)
New 3.4 jcsullins 10.1 experience:

-camera doesn't work

-the app switching android button doesn't work for me (dirty flashed tho)

-overall seems good maybe a tad bit snappier.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have insurance...lol! Thunderbolt has a 100 dollar deductible, so by the time I find a case I like that fits the extended battery, I could drop that much in the process :) I may as well save it for the deductible...

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT with Tapatalk
Thanks for the change log reference iMarck90!
This is probably why we don't see a lot of comments about Jc's builds because he already knows about most of the issues. I am glad to see BT and the charging options for this non /data/media build which will hopefully allow me to use my non HP chargers again.

PS:
- For those wondering about or itching for info on latest /data/media builds, RolandDeschain79 is preparing a to start a new thread for more advanced users that should help to evaluate your options and clear up some questions. Just sit tight, it's coming.

- I haven't tried it yet on my TP but this fix for flash support with dolphin at xda seems to work on my 4.4 Nexus-5...
[Guide][Flash]How to play flash video on Android 4.4 Kitkat
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2548001

- And if you hate gMaps 7.x like I do:
[APP]install Google Maps 6 and 7 and use them together[Root/NoRoot][14.01.2014]
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2566159
And feel free to slam gMaps by review in the PlayStore, its the only way we might be able to get some of these features back.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
- And if you hate gMaps 7.x like I do:
[APP]install Google Maps 6 and 7 and use them together[Root/NoRoot][14.01.2014]
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2566159
And feel free to slam gMaps by review in the PlayStore, its the only way we might be able to get some of these features back.
Did you see my "The future of Android" post. I wouldn't get your hopes up of changing Google's intentions to lock down Android.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Update on using the latest KERN3 CM10.1. Battery drain is consistently -6mA. That is more than acceptable. I believe I have found a small bug with the Bluetooth. I need someone else to test this. Bluetooth turns on just fine and pairs with my Samsung GS3. I can transfer a file from the TP to the GS3 just fine, but transferring a file from the GS3 to the TP fails. I did not have this problem with the CM10.1 Bluetooth snapshot build dated Dec.7th. I'm going to try a couple more tests, but I need someone else to see if they get the same issue.

Update: just paired my TouchPad to my Asus TF700 and have same problem. Can transfer files from the TP to the Asus tablet, but not the other way. :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have been using this JC Sullins build since it was posted. It works really well, and I don't think that i can see any reason to roll back.

This build works best for me as it just works with the partitions in the same sort of structure i gad already, without going to a data media build.

I did run Acmeinstaller 5m to increase the system partition, but otherwise i just did a clean install, clearing the caches.

The speed looks great, and it runs all the apps i have tested so far.

On the Bluetooth front things are pretty good - typing this on HP BT keyboard and listening to Tunein radio app on goji BT speaker. I have found a few problems if i use the bluetooth on/off button in the top tray of the standard launcher. It freezes the bluetooth on / off if pressed more than once. If I use settings directly it seems to work. However, i don't think that this is a newly introduced problem, it is just that i can now use BT more, so have found it.

i have have a few problems running Netflix with a BT speaker. The lips are slightly out of sync with the sound (I guess as BT is buffering so it lags) but also I have had one instance of the whole app 'stuttering' - speeding up and then stopping and then speeding up again. This was fixed by a reboot and i haven't encountered it again.
i also found a similar type of problem with two other apps - candy crush for example was smoothly scrolling the movement and then suddenly it was rushing the movements and then seemed to be pausing. It never crashed and is now working normally after a reboot, but it was a bit weird.

This is a great build, so thanks to JC Sullins

·
Registered
460 Posts
Small update on JC's 1/5/14 CM10.1 with 3.x kernel build, my minor charge glitch hasn't resurfaced on the HP Charger, but on a related note I do not think that the same previous "charging" features are present in the build.
I say this because I recently purchased an Anker 5 Port/5A charger (see my review for details and spreadsheet here) which on the prior VPN build would "Fast charge" (AC Charge) on all the ports except the Samsung Tab port (not sure yet why it's different). On this latest 3.x Kern build, it won't charge on anything but the one "Android" port (AC Charge) which indicates to me that "Fast Charge" isn't enabled within the 3.x kernel as it was on the 2.x kernel in prior builds...yet. (Still charges normally on the HP barrel charger).
I can confirm that Jc's CM10.1_1/25/14 3.x kernel build apparently has the "Fast charge" (AC Charge) implemented ("multi charger detection" as mentioned in the change log on IRC iMarck90 shared) and is charging fine on "apple" and android ports (all but the Samsung Tab port) like it did on the earlier VPN 2.x kernel build.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
1041 - 1060 of 1323 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.