Android OS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Roland may I suggest you something, put this on top of your OP in red big size letters: Note: You will not be able to restore your older nandroid backups from a data/media recovery. If you wish to go back to your previous setup you will need to run the ACMEUninstaller2 and then reinstall with a non data media build and recovery. You can then transfer you older backups over to the device and restore them.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Nice guide Grimm! I want to suggest a bit of information that you might want to include in it. CyanogenMod and Evervolv Roms do not use the same naming convention for their builds. So when switching back and forth between CM and Evervolv, one needs to make sure that the previous build is removed from the /boot partition otherwise they will run into problems installing the other build. You can check, but I don't think any of the recoveries you mentioned above takes care of removing the other build's roms. ACMEUninstaller2 was created to make sure that both cm and Evervolv Roms are removed when it is run. And then the other fly in the ointment, is that acmeinstaller should not be used to install data/media roms. They should always be installed using the proper recovery for each particular data/media Rom.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks NT. Looking into this.

Fyi, during installation, the non-data media version of Evervolv 4.3.1 from 1/29/14 has it's updater script set to format /system and delete /boot/ uImages for some Roms, ie CM, AOKP, ICS, & ClassicNerd. So I need to pull apart the CM and Evervolv data media build "updater scripts" and see what they format and delete if anything.

Also note that the /boot partition size is about 30.99mb and my current JcSullins Cm10.1 VPN install with Cwm v6.0.1.9 takes up about 25mb of that.

** Has anyone heard of anyone adjusting the /boot partition size to say 50mb, perhaps with Taylor? **

I may have put together some screenshots of the updater script code once I know more.

Sent from my "Up All Night Sleep All Day" Nexus 5!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Tailor wont change boot and some other webos partitions that most people don't know are there.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using RootzWiki mobile app

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Wonder if that portion of the updater-scripts from Evervolv can be incorporated into the CM updater-scripts? Leave it to Flintman to be thinking on his toes. At least he covered the main ones. And ClassicNerd as far as I know is just about a non-player.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Thanks Gradular. Any thoughts on ways to do this? I wonder if the /boot partition size is something that can be modified by iMarck90 for one of the AcmeInstallers or if that size is set by WebOS Dr during WebOS install?
it might be able to be done but the only way I can test it is scripts so I don't have access to the full code yet. But if it bricks my TP, I don't know it a webdoctor would fix it or if I had to go through the delete every partition and rebuild them.

Wonder if that portion of the updater-scripts from Evervolv can be incorporated into the CM updater-scripts? Leave it to Flintman to be thinking on his toes. At least he covered the main ones. And ClassicNerd as far as I know is just about a non-player.
That could be done pretty easily.

Sent from my Touchpad using RootzWiki mobile app

·
Registered
460 Posts
I wouldn't risk a bricked TP to test resizing the boot partition.
That could be done pretty easily.
I would think so to, but that would require CM acknowledging other Roms and might be frowned upon.

It would certainly help others going back and forth between the two having the CM installer delete other ROM files like Evervolv from /boot.

·
Registered
460 Posts
NT, well he does indicate the change is necessary to support the custom Rom updater function for his CM11 build. It is also worth noting that the most current base available for building any CWM Recovery right now on any device is v6.0.4.7 (I think). Not sure how the recoveries get built and where the changes come from or are pulled from (GitHub? ), but I am sure somewhere there is a list of differences between the recovery build versions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick note. Edited and moved some of my posts. Have a look at the end of post 9.

Post 08 - Mpgrimm2's Notes about the Different Data/Media Build Recoveries
Post 09 - Mpgrimm2's Notes about /boot Partition Limits, Rom Install Scripts, and AcmeInstallers

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
**** Quoted from post #9 ****​
"TP Developers please note:
I appreciate all your hard work and can only hope that no one takes offense to the above thoughts or is discouraged as I promise no slight is intended. As an average user I am merely peaking behind Oz's curtain whenever I manage to learn something new and seek to share with others. Perhaps a properly placed question like mine, even one without all the information, can be useful."
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/113874-rom-guide-how-to-install-android-44-data-media-builds-on-the-hp-touchpad/
**** Quoted from post #9 ****​

@Mpgrimm2,

I fully agree that to eliminate confusion, and make the whole process of installing data/media Android on the HP TouchPad, we need some uniformity used in the naming conventions of all the uImages installed. There would only be the need for one ACMEInstaller that would install whichever Rom or recovery that was placed in the cminstall folder. Thanks for all the research you are doing in this area.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Just a quick heads up while I have a moment.
Just followed the op to switch over to Milaq's CM10.2 Data Media 20140210 build (2.6 kernel) using ACMEinstaller5M and the cminstall pack I uploaded for the op. Everything seems to have booted up fine.

Rebooted back to Milaq's Cwm 6.0.3.6 to flash the_ape's 16gb data_plus only zip and it appears to have failed leaving me still with the 1.5gb data partition size when booted back to CM10.2.

I will play with it more later and see what is up, not sure if this version of cwm can flash the file or not. Time to sleep.

EDIT: Flashed Flintman's TWRP SeLinux from CWM v6.0.3.6 and reboot. No Luck. See some of my feedback starting at post 61 in The_Ape's thread . Not having much luck with either Gradular's or the_ape's zips.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Fixed: Be sure to look through posts 61 - 63 over at The_Ape's thread. I will quote here:

Mpgrimm2 said:
Now I can't get any other zip file or recovery to flash? Weird!

Started from: Milaq's CM10.2 data/media build (support for /data/media/0/ and /sdcard/ as "external_sd" ) and his CWM v6.0.3.6.

- managed to get back to my PC, redownload some of Gradular's data_plus zips (20gb) and The_Apes from the OP as well as Milaq's CM10.2 and CM11 data media roms and gApps (just in case). Booted back to CM10.2 and transferred the "good' files over.

- booted back to Flintman's TWRP. Still couldn't flash any recovery file or data_plus zips

- Was able to format /system and perform a "Factory Data/Reset"
- Could not reflash CM10.2 rom. Failed in similar fashion.
- Was able to reflash Milaq's CM11 Data media rom and Gapps 4.4kk.

Starting to think these data_zips will only work on JC's CWM v6.0.1.9 20121215 for the original partition layout (edify support? ). Trying not to resort to Taylor.
PS: I would love for those who have had success with these zips to document at what point they used them during the data media switch and with what recovery exactly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUCCESS!

FACT! - Gradular's and The_Ape's repartitioning zips will "Currently" NOT, I REPEAT, NOT WORK with ANY OF THE DATA MEDIA RECOVERIES !

The zips will work with JcSullins' CWM v6.0.1.9 20121215 for the original partition layout (and likely iMarck90's v6.0.2.8 by extension).

Here's how I got back around to where I needed to be from Flintman's TWRP v2.6.3.0 SeLinux Alpha build (flashing zips files from /data/media/0/ ) :

1 ) Flashed Philz CWM v6.0.4.7 SeLinux Data Media Recovery, and rebooted back to recovery = Finally! a different Recovery!
(would not flash any of the data_plus zips, but did flash Jc's CWM v6.0.1.9 )

2 ) Flashed Jc's CWM v6.0.1.9 20121215 original version, rebooted back to recovery. (now flashing zips from /sdcard/ )
- because CM11 won't mount or see the /sdcard/ ("external_sd" in CM10.2 data/media build ) I couldn't get the files transferred over to original "sdcard" seen by this version of CWM.

3 ) Plugged USB cord b/w PC and TP, within Recovery, selected "mounts and Storage" -> "mount USB storage".
- CWM 6.0.1.9 allowed the PC to see the "legacy" sdcard, and let me transfer files to external_sd card for install. = GOOD!

4 ) Successfully flashed Gradular's 20gb data_plus (only) zip, leaving me about 6gb for original /sdcard/ (external_sd in CM10.2 ) if I go back to a non-data/media build.
- I am certain that The_Ape's zips would work also with CWM v6.0.1.9. Call it a hunch.

5 ) Rebooted back to Milaq's CM11 data media build, verified /data partition change with "FreeSpace" app = GOOD!

6 ) Rebooted back to JC's CWM v6.0.1.9

7 ) Reflashed Philz CWM v6.0.4.7 SeLinux Data Media Recovery.
- Rebooted back to new Recovery to verify change (flashing zips files from /data/media/0/ ).

8 ) Done !

e8yre6uv.jpg
Final Thoughts:

- Might be best just to use regular Acme5 to load only Moboot 3.8 and CWM 6.0.1.9.

- Reboot to CWM, "mount USB storage" and transfer data_plus and CM Data media rom/gapps files over by pc (or when copying over the cminstall folder).

- Flash data_plus zips as needed. Reboot back to CWM. (Tells you to reboot)

- Flash Philz CWM 6.0.4.7 SeLinux data media Recovery, Reboot back to Recovery again.

- Flash data media Rom and Gapps (need to test if Philz Recovery will flash CM10.2 Data Media or not)

Anyone know for sure? May have to run my TP back through the gauntlet again to find out.

NEED BED. bye.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
RolandDeschain79,

Have another look at posts 61 - 63 in the_ape's thread. Basically,

- AcmeUninstaller2 (removed android)

- Wiped Sdcard within WebOS

- AcmeInstaller5M w/CM10.2 Data media pack with Cwm 6.0.3.6 DM.

- Rebooted to CM10.2 (basic setup only, no apps)

- Attempted to flash data_plus zips from CWM 6.0.3.6 data Media version. (failed)

- Flashed Flintman's TWRP 2.6.3.0 SeLinux Alpha

(and attempted data_plus zips which failed)

- Formatted and installed CM11 data media

(still could not flash data_plus zips)

- Only recovery that would flash from TWRP was Philz Cwm 6.0.4.7 SeLinux DataMedia version.

(still could not flash data_plus zips)

- Flashed JC's CWM v6.0.1.9 for original partition setup

- Succesfully flashed data_plus zips

- Reflashed Philz CWM v 6.0.4.7 SeLinux Data media

So the big question is, what recovery did you successfully flash the data_plus zips with and at exactly what point in the process?
Some serious testing going on here. Don't know if you caught what I posted before, but what you said about using ACME5 to flash just moboot and 6019 recovery is what I suggested. After using recovery to flash either Grad' or Ape's zips to increase /data, and copy the CM11 Rom and gapps over, then flash Flintman's TWRP, would be interesting to see how Flintman's modified TWRP works on all the Android 4.4/ CM11 and Evervolv Roms. I also seem to remember that Flint's TWRP can see the old SD card. BTW, did you have the recoveries that you were trying to flash with the data/media recoveries on the data/media SD card or on the old SD card?

Doing it this way does not require Tailor, a good thing. :goodcry: Also, can you validate that running ACMEUninstaller2 resets all the partitions back to like nothing was ever done? I think you are on to something here. No need for all these different ACMEInstallers or Tailor. A method that is fairly close to what we used to do install old versions of Android on the TouchPad. This might be able to make it simple enough for any user to try installing Android 4.4 once a standard guide can be written and maybe Roland can create a new "How to" based on the simplified way.

Sure would be nice if some one could figure out how to add 5mb or so of memory to the /boot partition.

One other question, I have older versions of both TWRP and CWM installed side by side. TWRP is 5.27mb and CWM is 3.89mb. I still have 1.09mb left in /boot. What is the size of the installed uImages of the data/media TWRP and CWM? There is a file that a lot of people still have in /boot, I believe the name is update/uimage or uimage/update. It is around 5mb in size and can be safely be either moved or deleted from /boot. I deleted it off my a couple of years ago and believe this is why I am able to have both recoveries installed at the same time.

One other thought, Milaq's new updater requires a special recovery of it's own for it to work. :lame:

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Great reading. Any chance you know what the data would be for the 64GB TouchPad?
Think about it, a zip to increase /data to anything close to that does not exist. So you are going to have to use Tailor. Look at Roland's video on how to use Tailor. Tailor should report what is left in /media to move. Just leave a gig or two for WebOS and move the rest to /data.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Don't know if you caught what I posted before, but what you said about using ACME5 to flash just moboot and 6019 recovery is what I suggested. After using recovery to flash either Grad' or Ape's zips to increase /data, and copy the CM11 Rom and gapps over, then flash Flintman's TWRP, would be interesting to see how Flintman's modified TWRP works on all the Android 4.4/ CM11 and Evervolv Roms. I also seem to remember that Flint's TWRP can see the old SD card. BTW, did you have the recoveries that you were trying to flash with the data/media recoveries on the data/media SD card or on the old SD card?
Yeah, I think i recall that. Just wanted to try out the cminstall pack and look for kinks in the process, plus I wasn't sure if I could mount the sdcard within Cwm 6.0.1.9 as a PC USB media device to move files over afterwards (still don't know).
I recall some recoveries having issues mounting to windows.

Yes, I put all the recoveries and both CM10.2 / CM11 DM builds and Gapps on both locations once I started having issues with the data_plus zips just in case.

Also, can you validate that running ACMEUninstaller2 resets all the partitions back to like nothing was ever done?
May be a few days till I run it again but I will let you know. I believe RolandDeschain79 verified that it does already.

Sure would be nice if some one could figure out how to add 5mb or so of memory to the /boot partition.
I don't think this is possible. Certainly not from within Tailor per Gradular.

I believe that this partition is sized and setup by WebOS Dr and may be very hard to mess with, but who knows. Need a devs feedback on it for sure.

One other question, I have older versions of both TWRP and CWM installed side by side. TWRP is 5.27mb and CWM is 3.89mb. I still have 1.09mb left in /boot. What is the size of the installed uImages of the data/media TWRP and CWM? There is a file that a lot of people still have in /boot, I believe the name is update/uimage or uimage/update. It is around 5mb in size and can be safely be either moved or deleted from /boot. I deleted it off my a couple of years ago and believe this is why I am able to have both recoveries installed at the same time.
I think i have a screenshot in post 8 or 9 of the /boot. Not sure but when switching recoveries it seemed like there was very little room left when I was on Flintman's TWRP Alpha.

You can unzip/extract all the recovery uImages from their installers and get a file size without installing them.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I think i have a screenshot in post 8 or 9 of the /boot. Not sure but when switching recoveries it seemed like there was very little room left when I was on Flintman's TWRP Alpha. You can unzip/extract all the recovery uImages from their installers and get a file size without installing them. Sent from my "Up All Night Sleep All Day" Nexus 5!
I downloaded Milaq's, Phils CWM's and Flintman's TWRP and the uImage sizes are huge now compared to the older recoveries. So unless someone can figure out how to enlarge /boot, it's gonna have to be one at a time. Ah, we need a new app, "Recovery Switcher". :goodcry:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.