Android OS Forum banner
2941 - 2960 of 2979 Posts

·
like a tree down by the water baby i shall not mov
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,941 ·
Love this rom, super snappy it is, and GPS at least works works great after reboot. I will make a donation as soon as get around to adding some doe to my Paypal account.

I saw a post a few pages back talking about system speed and wanted to ask of you think this being ported to the vibrant would help, it's pretty nice on my HD2

http://www.xda-devel...ucing-nativesd/

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2
Our system already resides on the speedier NAND, always has on the Vibrant TMK, but this is also what ultimately limits the size in the symlinked /datadata setup we use for apps, as that is also crammed into the smaller but speedier NAND chip. /datadata mounting is much faster, as everyone who ran the early ICS build that used the larger but slower /data/data partition, which is on the slower of the chips in the Vibrant.

This is also a serious limitation on the Vibrant when talking JB. The system partition in JB requires a lot more space that ICS did, and that basically leaves no space on the speedier chip for /datadata mounting. This is why /datadata was dropped by some devs, others are getting creative: repointing certain partitions, putting the cache on the speedier sd, and even mounting the /data partition to the internal SD. which is faster than the slower of the NAND chips in the Vibrant, though still has space limitations and you could end up with low space warnings. I'm not exactly sure how DerTeufel set the mounting points in HB to still use /datadata effectively, haven't investigated that yet in depth, but I've been back on ICS for a while now.

I've had convos with a few others, and I've got serious speculation that the Vibrant may be near or at EOL with ICS. The way this device is designed, it may not handle JB very well ever, if at all. Seems if you go one way, you face lag, go another way, there are app space limitations. This by no way means that I'm not going to keep playing with JB for the Vibrant, but comparing it to the way my N7 runs JB, its a night and day difference.

·
Supporting Member
19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Our system already resides on the speedier NAND, always has on the Vibrant TMK, but this is also what ultimately limits the size in the symlinked /datadata setup we use for apps, as that is also crammed into the smaller but speedier NAND chip. /datadata mounting is much faster, as everyone who ran the early ICS build that used the larger but slower /data/data partition, which is on the slower of the chips in the Vibrant.

This is also a serious limitation on the Vibrant when talking JB. The system partition in JB requires a lot more space that ICS did, and that basically leaves no space on the speedier chip for /datadata mounting. This is why /datadata was dropped by some devs, others are getting creative: repointing certain partitions, putting the cache on the speedier sd, and even mounting the /data partition to the internal SD. which is faster than the slower of the NAND chips in the Vibrant, though still has space limitations and you could end up with low space warnings. I'm not exactly sure how DerTeufel set the mounting points in HB to still use /datadata effectively, haven't investigated that yet in depth, but I've been back on ICS for a while now.

I've had convos with a few others, and I've got serious speculation that the Vibrant may be near or at EOL with ICS. The way this device is designed, it may not handle JB very well ever, if at all. Seems if you go one way, you face lag, go another way, there are app space limitations. This by no way means that I'm not going to keep playing with JB for the Vibrant, but comparing it to the way my N7 runs JB, its a night and day difference.
Thanks for your reply, it also seems that's this Vibrant it's more advanced and complicated than my HD2. One thing that puzzles me how good GPS works on my HD2, after reboot it locks at least 8 birds in about 30 seconds and if I test it after deep sleep it I get the same results, and of course on the Vibrant the results are not the same unless your on a Froyo rom.

I'm just mentioning this because, I saw a post from Faultexception saying something that it's hard to get GPS to work on the Vibrant because it never actually had an official Gingerbread release so that made it harder to make it work on other GB and roms or something like that. But my old HD2 is a Native Windows phone and GPS works perfectly on GB, ICS and JB roms. I don't think the problems is hardware related because it only works on Froyo roms, if it was hardware issue I don't think it would work on any rom.

if the issue is in the kernel, would that work the same in any phone?
On the HD2 forums Tytung got agps working and everything else perfectly. Maybe if you want to tackle the GPS issue maybe he can help out.

Also I'm going back to ICS, on JB there isn't enough space for apps and of you can keep adding stuff to system space it eventually slows it down

Here is his thread with a link to GitHub source code for his work if your interested

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1100114

Thanks for your time to reading my comments

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
25 Posts
That one I will need someone to upload for us, I lost the zip, and then it was lost to me forever when goo.im had a glitch and it deleted everyone's files. I keep forgetting to fix that link, or remove it until I can get a copy of that zip again.
One other question: the Zen Themed Bubbles MMS is based on the themed bubbles from qasimzia512 that you linked below the OP, are those other themes compatible with ICZen? My daughter likes the TipTop and Touchwiz looking themes, but I don't know if those linked themes will work with ICZen or if you had to do something special to make Zen Bubbles compatible. Before I try to flash one and possibly create a problem, I thought I'd check first! Thx.

·
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,946 ·
One other question: the Zen Themed Bubbles MMS is based on the themed bubbles from qasimzia512 that you linked below the OP, are those other themes compatible with ICZen? My daughter likes the TipTop and Touchwiz looking themes, but I don't know if those linked themes will work with ICZen or if you had to do something special to make Zen Bubbles compatible. Before I try to flash one and possibly create a problem, I thought I'd check first! Thx.
Doubtful, those will probably break SMS at the least, I cited the thread for source, not more options. You can always try them, but backup first so you can restore, just in case.

Sent from the ICZen Experience

·
Maintainer of the Evil Fuzzy Cat
84 Posts
if the issue is in the kernel, would that work the same in any phone?
On the HD2 forums Tytung got agps working and everything else perfectly. Maybe if you want to tackle the GPS issue maybe he can help out.
The VIbrant has different GPS hardware, making things even more complicated, it seems not all Vibrant are the same as each other. From what I can tell, the Vibrant hardware, in general, requires a certain initialization sequence and most kernels will not always recognize when this initialization is required, I'm guessing normally it is only done at boot time. My phone in particular seems to require some level of reset every time it looses a GPS lock, and if I loose GPS lock I have to restart navigation. The only reason this seems to work (as opposed to having to reboot) is because of the wrapped GPS that the guys here have come up with...

·
Registered
22 Posts
my 1.8.2 is affected by this bug, which could wipe all the data on my phone by simply clicking a malicious link: http://techcrunch.co...icking-a-link/.

going to http://dylanreeve.com/phone.php on my Vibrant, as linked to from that page, displays my IMEI, which is a sign that my phone, even though I'm not running TouchWiz, is vulnerable.

edit: Sorry.. Earlier I said I was running 1.8.5; I misspoke, as I'm running 1.8.2.

·
"Retired" Developer
707 Posts
Simply install another FREE dialer like Dialer One, which is not vulnerable. Even if you do not intend to use the dialer, having a second dialer will force the web browser to prompt you to select the dialer to use. You can now back out of the web request, and you are safe. Dialer One does not automatically dial the code, so even if you selected it, YOU still have to press the send button.

So it appears that the open source dialers (in AOKP, anyway) still implement the same Samsung TouchWiz dialer functionality to automatically dial the number in the tel:// URI.

Note: I've also tested exDialer, but found that one is also affected by this vulnerability. It's a shame, because exDialer is a very nice dialer replacement.

As an aside, my phone dialer on my SGS3 does not seem to be affected. I'm using ICS UVALI5, if that matters. Not sure how things are with UVALEM, UVALG1, UVALH2, or the other UVALI* roms out there.

This bug will probably cause many actively-developed third-party dialers to rethink their current strategies. Which is a good thing.

MP

·
Registered
2 Posts
As I said before, I love ICZen. I prefer the size of my screen with 320 density selected. The only problem seems to be the keyboard and dialer layout is a bit skewed. Am I out of luck, is there a theme or any kind of tweak/ fix or do I have to download third party dialers and keypads?

T959

·
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,954 ·
3rd party is my recommendation, if the stock ones don't handle the resolution you like.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow, so I'm running 1.8.2, and I think my Media Storage is completely hosed. All my music players (Google Play, Winamp) recognize no files on either my internal storage or my microSD card. I don't even know what triggered it this time--I went to Storage because I got a warning that phone memory was running low, and after that, brokenness.

I've had this happen in the past but was usually able to get it working again by clearing the data from Media Storage and the music apps and then rebooting... It's been almost 24 hours this time, however, and I still can't get it to work right. All the files are viewable in ES File Explorer, and I can play them from there, but the music apps recognize nothing. I sort of got it working again when I renamed the music folders on the SD card using ES File Explorer, but the fix doesn't stick, and I only got the apps to recognize only half of the files.

Any suggestions? Thanks !

·
put something funny here.
329 Posts
Sorry B, I'm usually good about keeping files and that one must have slipped through the cracks.

·
1,139 Posts
Gocal, try deleting the lost.dir folder from your internal and external sd cards, reboot and let media rescan, then see if that has any effect. Also, try deleting the cache from the Gallery apk as well. If those don't solve it, reflash or just try a factory reset in recovery and then restore your apps. Let us know your results.

@ eddy - No stress brother, I shouldn't have relied in the "cloud" to maintain my files anyways. Being the biz I am in, I should know better, but B dropped the ball on that one.

Sent from the ICZen Experience

2941 - 2960 of 2979 Posts