Android OS Forum banner
761 - 774 of 774 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Patrick of course can give you a definitive answer, but as I understand it, this Kang IS CM9, so it would be a duplication of effort if CM is going to release regular updates.

For my part, I want to sincerely thank Patrick for the work he has done in bringing ICS to our tablets. It is very much appreciated, and whether he decides to continue or not, he deserves our thanks.

Sent from the computer I carry in my pocket.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Patrick of course can give you a definitive answer, but as I understand it, this Kang IS CM9, so it would be a duplication of effort if CM is going to release regular updates.

For my part, I want to sincerely thank Patrick for the work he has done in bringing ICS to our tablets. It is very much appreciated, and whether he decides to continue or not, he deserves our thanks.

Sent from the computer I carry in my pocket.
which gapps are you using?

Sendt fra min GT-P7510 med Tapatalk2

·
Android Beginner
25 Posts
I JUST DON'T GET IT.... there's kang, cm9, and kang project, ICS preview, etc, etc....

These topics get tossed around all over the place... for links and updates but no clarification

This is for GALAXY TAB 10.1 (wi-fi) P7510 16gb ONLY! correct? NOT 32gb!?? Correct? AHH!!! and it's not a final STABLE, it's a preview.
According to the cyanogenMod website, there's no immediate plans or launch dates for this device...

Finally == all these nightlys are for p4wifi - but that means 16gb ONLY! for CM9?

and as of this moment - NOT ONE ROM exists for ICS fully functional because the camera drivers are still hidden in a secret safe somewhere along with the secret formula for crabby patties ?

CAN SOMEONE answer these questions? All of these replies are silly - all - over the place responses because of the NEED TO CLARIFY?

XRAPTORZEX
I'm not sure why I'm responding to this a week after it was posted but...

"Kang" as a general term can have several different meanings, but basically it refers to a ROM that was compiled by someone other than it's original developer(s)

CM9 or "CyanogenMod 9" is specific version of custom firmware based off of AOSP for a variety of Android devices. This ROM originally posted here for the P4WIFI was considered a "kang" because Patrick, the OP, was compiling the code himself -- there were others over at XDA doing the same. Now, however, there are official nightly releases over at get.cm, so there is really no longer a need for Patrick or others to compile builds for us. (None the less we thank him for his efforts on this).

"Android Open Kang Project" or AOKP is a completely different project than CM9, although in some ways it is quite similar.

Some of the older posts when ICS ROMs first appeared did say they were specifically for the 16GB model. I honestly don't know if that was just because they had only been tested on 16GB models or they simply didn't work on the 32GB model. Seems most ROMs out now do not specify.

Fact: Samsung has not released the official source for the ICS kernel for this device. Because of this, certain proprietary hardware, like the camera will not function. As an analogy, this would be like trying to install a device on a Windows PC with no device drivers. So yes, it's "hidden in a secret safe somewhere", and that somewhere is a Samsung facility. Until there is an official kernel source, there will not be a "STABLE" release, it's that simple.

Bottom line? If you have a question, just ask...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Like me, I'm sure a lot of you have switched to the CM9 nightlies. I noticed a while back that my Tab can no longer "see" my 5GHz AP (my wife's stock Tab sees it quite well). Anyone else here having this problem? Some searches here show that others with different tablets (HP Touch Pad, for example) are experiencing this, but not sure if they use the same device driver as the Tab.

761 - 774 of 774 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.