Android OS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can this be done on Linux without any issues? I'm going to assume you did this on Windows.
Yes it can but I'm not familiar with converting batch files to sh files, you also need the linux fastboot.

I ran into the same radio issue when flashing from 4.4. Maybe the original post should be updated to indicate possible problems with flashing from 4.4?

If we need to root 4.2.2, do you have a recommended root method? The SlapMyMoto 1.0 root method ends with updating to 4.4, so presumably that root method isn't applicable here. Would using RockMyMoto to root 4.2.2 be okay?
Okay thanks for the heads up, I actually bricked the boot, recovery, and radio partition because fastboot doesn't work right with my usb 3.0 ports. Yes RockMyMoto should work at rooting 4.2.2 if you haven't used MotoWpNoMo, if you have then SlapMyMoto will have to be used. I haven't had to use either so I don't know for sure.

Krypt, what do you use to extract the system.img file? Also, when you say root/safestrap is added in, do you just mean the APK?
When you are booted into Android Safestrap actually saves the recovery.img and some other files in the /system partition. Then when you reboot to safestrap recovery it moves the files from the /system partition and loads them to the /sbin partition if I remember correctly then once you flash a rom it is supposed to copies the files back to the /system partition. Well when I was working on my 4.4 Rom I ran into issues where Safestrap wasn't copying the files back to the /system partition. So to avoid this problem I just included them in Rom then everything worked with no issues. As for the extracting the system.img go here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2501219

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just thought I'd post an update. As you suggested, updating to this ROM from Stock 4.4 or Eclipse 2.2 (4.4-based), or even Eclipse 3.2.1 (4.4.2-based) resulted in errors. It wasn't able to activate or enable radios. Very odd.

Equally frustrating was that I reverted to stock 4.2.2 (camera update) and then couldn't for the life of me figure out how to root again. I tried RockMyMoto, but it somehow saw that I'd already used MotoWPNoMo and would kick me out. So, I tried SlapMyMoto, but the steps you follow include updating to 4.4 which I knew I didn't want to do. And I couldn't install Safestrap without root either so...

In the end, I'm not sure exactly what I did to get it working. I used the Toolkit and let it walk me through the steps to root via SlapMyMoto. During the process, it asks if this is the first time you're rooting 4.4 (or maybe using MotoWPNoMo). I answered "No" and it seemed to walk me through a slightly different root process. Then when it said I should take the 4.4 OTA, I ignored it and hit continue. After rebooting, there was root.

Not so fun, but I'm glad to be back on stock rooted 4.4.2, just hope that the process can get streamlined a bit more for others coming to this thread cause I, for one, am still confused. It's late though, so that's my excuse! :)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just thought I'd post an update. As you suggested, updating to this ROM from Stock 4.4 or Eclipse 2.2 (4.4-based), or even Eclipse 3.2.1 (4.4.2-based) resulted in errors. It wasn't able to activate or enable radios. Very odd.

Equally frustrating was that I reverted to stock 4.2.2 (camera update) and then couldn't for the life of me figure out how to root again. I tried RockMyMoto, but it somehow saw that I'd already used MotoWPNoMo and would kick me out. So, I tried SlapMyMoto, but the steps you follow include updating to 4.4 which I knew I didn't want to do. And I couldn't install Safestrap without root either so...

In the end, I'm not sure exactly what I did to get it working. I used the Toolkit and let it walk me through the steps to root via SlapMyMoto. During the process, it asks if this is the first time you're rooting 4.4 (or maybe using MotoWPNoMo). I answered "No" and it seemed to walk me through a slightly different root process. Then when it said I should take the 4.4 OTA, I ignored it and hit continue. After rebooting, there was root.

Not so fun, but I'm glad to be back on stock rooted 4.4.2, just hope that the process can get streamlined a bit more for others coming to this thread cause I, for one, am still confused. It's late though, so that's my excuse! :)

Thanks again!
Thanks for the feedback I updated the OP saying to start on 4.2.2 not 4.4 to prevent this from happening. I looked over SlapMyMoto really quick last night and I'm pretty sure it will root 4.2.2 if you skip the install OTA step. Unfortunately I don't think the process will ever get anymore streamlined, because we are installing a OS, Kernel, and Radio's on old Bootloaders.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guys I have a way to successfully install this ROM with working radios. Doesn't involve having to go back to 4.2.2 I can confirm it working coming from Eclipse 3.2 but am pretty certain it will also work coming from 4.4 Kryptonite it seems there is something in your updater script that is boring the radios. All I did was unzip your ROM and switch out your updater with his and rezip. So all you have to do after that guys is follow the rest of his instructions with your edited zip file. Flash the ROM in safestrap and flash radio and kernel then enjoy! Hope this helps pinpoint where the problem is too

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Guys I have a way to successfully install this ROM with working radios. Doesn't involve having to go back to 4.2.2 I can confirm it working coming from Eclipse 3.2 but am pretty certain it will also work coming from 4.4 Kryptonite it seems there is something in your updater script that is boring the radios. All I did was unzip your ROM and switch out your updater with his and rezip. So all you have to do after that guys is follow the rest of his instructions with your edited zip file. Flash the ROM in safestrap and flash radio and kernel then enjoy! Hope this helps pinpoint where the problem is too
Hmm thanks for the heads up I will take a look at it tonight after work, are you replacing just the updater-script or are you also replacing the update-binary?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I replaced both
Okay thanks, I think it was just the update-binary not the updater-script I wouldn't swap the updater-script because his script has a couple of permissions on files that don't exist and a few symlinks that are wrong, also his doesn't set permissions to the included Safestrap files. I'm fixing to test an updated build with a few changes to my script and I swapped the binaries.

·
Developer Knight
542 Posts
Okay thanks, I think it was just the update-binary not the updater-script I wouldn't swap the updater-script because his script has a couple of permissions on files that don't exist and a few symlinks that are wrong, also his doesn't set permissions to the included Safestrap files. I'm fixing to test an updated build with a few changes to my script and I swapped the binaries.
Do you think an AT&T version of this would be available once AT&T gets 4.4.2?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Do you think an AT&T version of this would be available once AT&T gets 4.4.2?
Yeah I could throw it together but I won't be able to test it myself, if someone wants to test it once the sbf file is released for AT&T. I don't mind posting it once someone confirms it works.

·
Developer Knight
542 Posts
Yeah I could throw it together but I won't be able to test it myself, if someone wants to test it once the sbf file is released for AT&T. I don't mind posting it once someone confirms it works.
Sure thing. I really appreciate it. I gotta get my GF on the same level as me, lol. I'll get someone to confirm it works once those files are out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Just updated the OP with new link with an edited updater-script and a different update-binary hopefully it will not cause issues with radios not working when coming from 4.4. Please let me know if issues are still happening!

·
Android Apprentice
25 Posts
Just updated the OP with new link with an edited updater-script and a different update-binary hopefully it will not cause issues with radios not working when coming from 4.4. Please let me know if issues are still happening!
just downloaded files this morning. was on 4.4 ran through the steps and now no radios.. :( guess i got to be the test with the new files. oh well.. time to rsd..

UPDATE: So I was sitting with 4.4.2 no radios. I used the installer from OP and pushed the safestrap app back to my phone. I followed what dave3588 posted a couple pages back. Took the two files from Eclipse and copied them into your ROM file. Went back into recovery and went through the steps again. Viola .. Currently putting all my apps back with titanium. Wifi working. Not sure on LTE yet. When I borked the radios I had to activate my old GS3 and go to work. Will report back once I get my Moto X activated again. Wifi working fine and assuming LTE will once I get the time to put all that back. Just happy I didn't have to RSD back all the way and start from scratch. Just wanted to share for those with 4.4 looking for a way. Obviously results may vary.. :)

UPDATE2: Working LTE on 4.4.2. All is well. dave3588 method worked. Running through restoring apps now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hope this doesn't fall under the "stupid question" category...Will this work on locked boot-loader devices, or developer editions only? I'm currently rooted on 4.2.2 with SafeStrap, non developer edition. Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I hope this doesn't fall under the "stupid question" category...Will this work on locked boot-loader devices, or developer editions only? I'm currently rooted on 4.2.2 with SafeStrap, non developer edition. Thanks!
Safestrap is for locked devices, so yes you can flash this just follow the directions.

Kryptonite, I just tested your new zip from the OP and same thing. No radios. Just a heads up. Went back to what I had to do before

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Dang it, thanks for the heads up, I might send you a test script tonight if you don't mind I have crappy internet so it takes close to 4 hrs to upload a new build.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
just downloaded files this morning. was on 4.4 ran through the steps and now no radios.. :( guess i got to be the test with the new files. oh well.. time to rsd..

UPDATE: So I was sitting with 4.4.2 no radios. I used the installer from OP and pushed the safestrap app back to my phone. I followed what dave3588 posted a couple pages back. Took the two files from Eclipse and copied them into your ROM file. Went back into recovery and went through the steps again. Viola .. Currently putting all my apps back with titanium. Wifi working. Not sure on LTE yet. When I borked the radios I had to activate my old GS3 and go to work. Will report back once I get my Moto X activated again. Wifi working fine and assuming LTE will once I get the time to put all that back. Just happy I didn't have to RSD back all the way and start from scratch. Just wanted to share for those with 4.4 looking for a way. Obviously results may vary.. :)

UPDATE2: Working LTE on 4.4.2. All is well. dave3588 method worked. Running through restoring apps now.
Okay thanks for letting me know, I'm going look at it again tonight after work.

21 - 40 of 115 Posts