Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Requiem Dev
605 Posts

Welcome to the Requiem thread everyone! Let me give you a rundown about my vision for the ROM and a tiny slice of my back story...

I, like many of you, started from the bottom, as a n00b. I lurked in threads, asked the right questions, got involved with the right people, and here I am, releasing my own ROM. This time last year, I would have been content to just use other people's builds, and create themes for them, but my mindset changed last December. I decided to get more involved in the development community, and this is the result... Requiem...My first ROM.

My Vision:

It's my opinion that the ROM scene has become too mainstream...too accessible to the new user. Not to say that I don't embrace new users, because I do - I just feel that the more popular ROMs have gone the OEM route - supporting hundreds of devices, but offering little in the way of innovation or qaulity control. They've taken the apps, that many developers have spent countless sleepless nights creating, and have hard coded them into their own offerings - claiming them as their own. They've left no room for the hackers, modders, zip theme creators, and app developers, and that, I feel, is wrong.

With that in mind, what will Requiem be? Requiem will be a ROM, defined by the community - meaning you won't find many things in my ROM that aren't available as an app or flashable zip somewhere else. I intend to embrace the development community, and highlight the hard work our devs are putting in. You'll never see PIE in my ROM - use LMT, you'll never see LED light controls in my ROM - use Lightflow, you'll never see cLock, because Dashclock does the exact same thing, same goes for lockscreen targets and backgrounds - Widgetlocker can handle that...you get the point. So if you've come here for flashy mods, and crazy features, you're out of luck. I MAY add PA's hybrid UI switcher, because tablet mode is kinda cool, and I'll certainly add the same mods that were in the 4.2.2 build. My goal is to keep this ROM stock, bug free, and light - not bloated and full of broken features.

So what can you expect from me? Honesty. Ask a question, and I'll do my best to answer it. Integrity. I don't sell out, and there are no strings attached. Diligence. You can rest assured that unless I'm 100% satisfied with a build, it won't be labeled "Stable", and I'll always be looking for new and interesting mods to test.

What do I expect from you? Courtesy. Don't come here and flame me... Unless you are willing to put in the time and effort to make your own ROM, keep the negative comments to yourself. I WILL flame you if you engage in such practices, and I won't call off anyone else who decides to take a dig. Honesty. If you're a new user, just say so, but don't use it as a crutch...there's a search function, so please use it before posting. Remember...No matter what your teachers told you, there IS such a thing as a stupid question, and laziness and idiocy is something I can't stand. Outside of that, I expect you guys to enjoy yourselves... get off topic, talk about sports, cars, rainbows, whatever...I don't care. Again, welcome, and thank you for taking this journey with me.

Directions:

1) Reboot to recovery
2) Wipe data (factory reset), dalvik, and cache
3) Flash Requiem
4) Flash RequiemApps (Gapps)
5) Flash bootloader (optional)
6) Flash radios (optional)
5) Wipe data and cache again (optional)
6) Reboot
7) Profit

4.3 Beta 3.1 [Toro] & Beta 3 [Maguro]:

Changelog:

8-3

- initial release for Maguro

- revert Google code, and enable BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) (Manuel Naranjo)

7-28

- edits to improve softkey performance and responsiveness

- fix carrier label t-cdma 64 bug

- add multi-way reboot menu (xIC-MACIx) [Note: reboot menu replaces android.policy.jar, so a clean install is recommended]

Working: most everything

Bugs: Google Restore not working (looking into this), Visual VM not working (probably needs addition of VZW sign-in, which I'll get to next week)

Download:

Toro: Beta 3.1
Maguro: Beta 3

*Note: Maguro users are to flash the bootloader ONLY from the link provided below. The radios for Maguro have not been updated yet, and are not universal.

SU zip (v1.51): here

RequiemApps_v2: here

Link to 4.3 bootloader and new (4.2.2) radios (courtesy of baldwinguy77): Shiny thread

Mods:

Quick Settings (kevdliu): Xda thread

*Note: I'm attempting to get these built into the ROM, but every attempt leads to Maps force closing SystemUI. I have no idea what's causing this, because the mod works perfectly when flashed separately. I'm working like crazy to find a solution for this, because I want them included as a native feature. Stay tuned... :)

CM Focal (CyanogenMod): here

*Here's something to play around with guys. It's an early build, and I didn't build it, so I can't be blamed for any potential bugs. So far, it seems to work well, but I'm still undecided as to whether to include it in the ROM or not. I'll probably just leave it as a separate, optional add-on. [Directions: Download, and move apk to /system/app. Change permissions to rw-r-r, reboot, and enjoy]

4.2.2 (stable - Toro ONLY):

AOSP 4.2.2
Rooted, deodexed, busybox, init.d
Modifications for speed, stability, and battery life
Tethering enabled by default
Custom Gapps package
Custom kernel - AK SKL 256
Google Experience apks: 4.3 Camera, Sunbeam lwp, and boot animation
Google Wallet
Ac!d Audio Mod w/ Awesome BEATS
Custom Quick Settings (kevdliu)
Requiem Wallpapers (PA)

Latest build: here

RequiemApps: here

Kernel source (anarkia1976 Git): Git [/spoiler]

**I am not responsible for any damage you may do to your device. If it blows up, causes a stock market crash, or any other random act of nature, it's on you. You've been warned.**

Credits:

Google
mwalt2
mweilgoz
MBQ_
kevdliu
mmuzzy
The PA team
Anarkia1976
baldwinguy77
Chainfire
Ac!d Team
Jrummy
xIC-MACIx

Special thanks to my testing team:

TORO
Purian23
droidlover
MRH3LLMAN
viper689
mrchambo
Stigy

MAGURO
sykomaniac
SahilC
worhello

·
Requiem Dev
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your interest guys! I currently have the ROM in private beta testing, but things are processing nicely. Don't hold me to this (because hiccups can always occur), but I'm aiming for a release within the next week and a half. I'm working on some potential mods and themes as well, and I'd like to have them available for release day, so the user experience can be more complete.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Awesome Jay!!!. To Da Peoples: This rom is super nice! No issues at all for me. Very stable, great battery life, interface is pure google and did i say stable? Yes solid! Jay has done a amazing job taking his time with this and compiling from source. If u are into a vanilla source built rom definitely give this one a ride.

I ran it with AKb225 and I used DHO'S GAPPS. Thanks again Jhizza ffoShizza

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki

·
Android Enthusiast
777 Posts
Huh. I'm glad someone is still developing for our old gnexes. Thank you! :)
Hey, what's up Steven, you post over here too? And you still have the Gnex?
;):)

Sent from my Galaxy S3

·
Requiem Dev
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds cool! What gapps and kernel? Or are you still toying with some different options?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Gapps will be a custom package, made by me, and based on the latest official Gapps from Google. Kernels are currently being tested to determine which one will be packaged with the ROM.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you need anyone to maintain a maguro version let me know :) I was the original person responsible for brining support of Sabermod, Rootbox and Beanstalk to the maguro (check XDA) and also the EOS maintainer.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Good job, jjhiza. Always nice to see a community user become a community dev. Congrats & good luck with the new rom.

·
Requiem Dev
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys! The support here on Rootz has always been great! I just finished some flashable navbar DPI mods for the ROM, as well as a custom wallpaper picker... They'll be available day 1. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to create some custom Quick Settings tiles... I'm close, but I still haven't figured it out completely yet.

·
Android Enthusiast
777 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I couldn't bring myself to buy the prius after the test drive. No real driving excitement. I think I'll opt for the golf diesel turbo or GTI.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts