Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
I need a little help. I'm rooted on Jelly Bean and this is my first time installing a ROM. A couple questions:

-In the instructions it says "wipe cache." How do I do that?
-It says "wipe system" - won't that set my phone back to ICS?

Thanks very much.

· Registered
153 Posts
If your using TWRP, they are both in the wipe section right off the main menu. If you wrote the system, it basically wipes it so nothing, not even ICS, is on your phone. Then you can install whatever Rom you choose. Just make sure to follow the installation directions in the front page

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using RootzWiki
Thanks, I was able to flash the ROM and it's working. At first I didn't understand that I was supposed to wipe stuff from inside Safestap. The only thing is, when I picked "format data" it said "failed." I went ahead an installed the ROM and it worked anyway. Any idea what the "format data" thing is and whether I should be worried about that being "failed?"

· Registered
153 Posts
Actually I'm having some problems now - I went through the setup after phone booted up, but when I tapped "finish" or whatever it says in the final step, it said "setup has stopped running" or something like that. After turning my screen off and on it was at the lock screen, but it seemed to freeze when I tried to swipe to unlock the phone. I rebooted, and now it has stayed on the splash screen for a few minutes without doing anything. I guess I'll try just waiting for a while and see if something happens.

By the way, in the ROM slot I created in Safestrap, I selected the both zip files, the Vitreous one and the GApps one. It said it was successful but maybe I wasn't supposed to do that?

· Registered
153 Posts
I have a feeling I'm not wiping the right thing, or I'm not setting up Safestrap correctly before I wipe. In Safestrap do I wipe the stock rom slot on the right or do I wipe the rom slot that I'm going to install Vitreous into? And which wipes should I be doing? There's Cache, Factory Reset, System, Internal Storage, etc. The "format" one gives me a "failed." Though.

· Registered
153 Posts
I just went through the process again, and it seemed to work, but after flashing using safestrap and rebooting the phone, when I got to the final step of the startup wizard, and pressed "finish," it said:

"Unfortunately, Setup Wizard has stopped."

After I said okay to that, the screen went black. When I pressed power to turn on the screen again, I was at the lock screen. When I swiped to unlock the phone it made a screen unlock sound, but froze and didn't unlock. The same happens every time I turn the screen on and off. I'm unable to unlock the phone. I'm flashing from rooted official Jelly Bean OTA btw, not the leak.

The steps I took to flash the ROM were:

1. I accessed safestrap recovery.
2. I created a backup on my external SD card.
3. I set up ROM slot 1 and made it active.
4. I went to the "wipe" section and wiped Cache, System, Delvik Cache, and did Factory Reset.
5. I went to "Install" and selected the Vitreous zip file on my SD card. This seemed to work successfully.
6. I went to "Install" and selected the GAPPS zip file on my SD card. This seemed to work successfully.
7. I selected "Reboot."
8. I got the splash screen logo with the Nexus-style "X".
9. I got to the setup wizard. Then what I described above happened.

If someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank god for Safestrap backups. I would have bricked my phone 3 times over if it weren't for that.

· Registered
153 Posts
A problem I'm having now is that when I run the ROM my contacts are gone. I'm not sure how to make them sync back from my Google account. When I go back to stock the contacts are all there. Or maybe they were backed up by Verizon? Not sure. All I can tell is, they're there when I boot up on stock, but not there when I boot up Vitreous.

Yeah after further review I think the problem is that my contacts originally got onto my phone from Verizon's backup service. They aren't all in Google. But when I run Vitreous I don't have the ability to sync contacts from Verizon. Think there's a way around this or do I need to manually put all these contacts in Google?

It's a nice ROM by the way. If there's no fix for this, maybe it will motivate me to finally fix up my contacts.

· Registered
153 Posts
Go back to the stock rom and tell it to backup contacts and settings with Google. I believe it's under the sync settings.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
I found a setting in the People app where I could change "contact storage" location from Backup Assistant Plus to Gmail, which I think was the issue. But when I sync my previously existing stuff with gmail they still don't sync, so I think it's too late for the ones I already added, because they are "Backup Assistant Plus" contacts, not Google contacts (omg Verizon). I may have to manually re-add them.

By the way, any way to change the number of home screens? Pressing "home" when already on the home screen doesn't bring up the preview thing where you would normally delete ones you don't want.

· Registered
153 Posts
I'm really enjoying this ROM. Thanks very much for developing this. It runs a lot more smoothly than the stock Moto launcher, and it's an enjoyable stock-like UI. I appreciate the de-bloating, and having the stock browser and stuff is cool. I like the battery mod that gives you the exact % too.

I have a couple questions:

-does the Google camera that's included with Vitreous have an HDR mode? I looked through the settings but I don't see it.
-is there a way to change the number of home screens, or is that a launcher-specific feature that's not included in this one?
-are there any mods that change the look of the on-screen navbar, like make it transparent or something?

I also have a general ROM question, something I was curious about - I see people discussing ROMs for Nexus phones. But those phones don't have SD card slots, and I thought you needed one in order to flash a ROM. How does that work, in general terms?

Thanks again.

· Registered
153 Posts
FYI a sdcard is NOT required to flash a device. It all depends on the device and how the custom recovery is setup. And being Nexus deviees do not have sdcards as you mentioned the recovery is setup so the internal storage is accessible to put the ROM *.zip on it so you can flash
That's interesting. I won't derail the thread by asking more questions about this, but good to know.

· Registered
153 Posts
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2089741

Theres a mod for the softkeys. I found the icons from somewhere else and packaged them in a zip file for this phone.
Thanks, that does look cool. What I mainly want to do though is make that area transparent so that there's more viewable screen space for apps. I read that has been done on the Galaxy Nexus, but I could be wrong.

Oh by the way I meant to ask another question...I don't really understand how storage space works when running the ROM. I created a 2 gig slot for it, and when I go into the apps settings it says 1.4 gigs free. Am I still able use the rest of the internal storage for music and stuff and access it while running this ROM, or am I actually limited to 2 gigs for everything?

· Registered
153 Posts
You just have the 2GB internally. I was having problems with stirring all of my offline music so I use symlinks to redirect where it gets saved. You could do this for other things too I'm sure.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using RootzWiki
I'm a little confused, because

A. I took a photo while running on the stock ROM slot and the photo is still available in the gallery after I reboot to the Vitreous ROM slot...so it seems as if it's accessing that media.

B. This is odd...while running off of the stock ROM slot, I copied an .mp3 into the music folder. I rebooted to the Vitreous ROM slot and opened Google Music and there were no songs there. I opened Root Explorer and navigated to sdcard/music, and the song was there. I tapped it and the song played. I closed Root Explorer, opened up Google Music again, and the song was there. I don't know what that means...isn't the phone accessing media that's not stored in the 2 gigs?

edit: I just put like 350 mb of music in the music folder while running the Vitreous ROM, which shows up in Google Play Music, and my apps settings still says I have 1.4 gig free, which is the same thing it said before.

Could you say a little more about what symlinks is and how to use it?

· Registered
153 Posts
FYI when you create a ROM slot using SS the size is relative to the /data partition NOT the size of the internal memory in the device. So it really has no baring on actual storage space. Its more for how many apps and stuff can be installed and run on the device. You should still have full access to the rest of the internal memory it is just mapped different because of the way SS has to work so you can have multiple slots if you want.
What you described is what I have been assuming to be true, since no one would want to have only 2 gigs of internal media storage. And my test of adding music to the Music folder and not seeing any change to the available space listed in Settings-->Apps supports that (ie, it's not using up any of the storage space inside that 2 gig ROM slot). But it seems as if there's conflicting information in this thread about this.

Is it strange that music added to the Music folder while the stock ROM slot is active doesn't show up in Google Play Music after booting up the Vitreous ROM slot until I navigate to the Music folder with Root Explorer, tap on the songs (which causes them to play) and then go back to Google Play Music? They show up after doing that, but not before.

· Registered
153 Posts
As for the free space on the ROM slot I bet if you go into the Market and install a big app or better yet a game that requires eating up some space you will then see the amount of free space go down from the 1.4Gb you currently see.

As for the Music thing I'm not sure and kinda tough for me to check into. One i only use Google Music for stuff i have in the could and I use a different app for stuff on the phone. 2nd i own a Dev edition HD so i dont have to mess with this SS & ROM slot stuff as i unlocked mine and just flashed the custom recovery to it. That said my guess is the problem has to do with rebuilding or updating the database log for the Music you drop in the Music folder while on the stock software before switching to a ROM slot. Have you tried just dropping the music in the Music folder while on the ROM slot versus putting it in the Music folder while on the stock software. kinda curious if the Music shows up in G Music when you do it on the ROM slot instead of putting it in that folder while on the stock software.
It works just fine if I copy the music over to the Music folder while I'm running off of the ROM slot. If I do it that way the music will show up without the extra step. The only reason I was doing it the other way was out of curiosity about what would happen. I haven't tested yet whether it's something that only happens with the Play Music app, or whether other music players would react the same way. It's interesting, though, navigating to the folder through Root Explorer seems to tell the ROM where the music is and then Play Music can find it.

· Registered
153 Posts
It works just fine if I copy the music over to the Music folder while I'm running off of the ROM slot. If I do it that way the music will show up without the extra step. The only reason I was doing it the other way was out of curiosity about what would happen. I haven't tested yet whether it's something that only happens with the Play Music app, or whether other music players would react the same way. It's interesting, though, navigating to the folder through Root Explorer seems to tell the ROM where the music is and then Play Music can find it.
After some more testing, it appears that it just takes a while for Google Play Music to find the newly added music if the music was added while the other partition was active. Winamp seems to have the same issue, while N7 Player seems to find it right away. Who knows?

1 - 20 of 136 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.