Android OS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
like a tree down by the water baby i shall not mov
1,139 Posts
GingerZen_1.0

First Full Version. Dev put on hold, pending a current kernel release for JVR.

Read the OP (its not that long, just do it.) :)

*HELPFUL bug reports are always welcome. Keep these in the thread, I will not respond to PM's about bugs/glitches with the rom. Helpful bug reports, accompanied by attached logcat reports, are preferred, and can help me identify a problem that much faster.

*Please do not post bugs that aren't ZenDroid related, we have both the General and Q&A sections for General Questions and Answers, that are not related to the build. Thank you.

*I am also interested in suggestions for improvements. Please post these in the thread as well.

Disclaimer

I cannot be held responsible for what happens to your device, face it, by this point, your warranty is out the window. By flashing this software, you agree to my assumption that you know what you are doing, and how to recover from one of those oops moments that happen to the best of us.

This is a Voodoo Kernel. Know the risks of what you're doing before you do it, that's really all I can say.

Look A New Color!!!

Shiny!!!

Read Me!!!

Since most of you didn't read the disclaimer, I had to do that. Now go back and read it please, I'll wait here....Thank you.

Figured it out?

Disable Voodoo? Ummmmmm, yeah, please. Just save you and me both the hassle of wondering later, and do it. Do it now! Get in tha Choppah!!

Safe to flash from a Vibrant firmware only. CM7 or MIUI, Odin to something crappy Samsung put out, so you can then have some Zen in your life.

Whats New

-Added lib file to fix the Talk FC
-Orange Overscroll Glow
-Lots of build.prop tweaks from Master%Slaves Thread

Whats Included

-Gingerbread 2.3.4, XXJVR firmware
-Bullet 1.42 OC JVP Kernel from cmenard (defaults to regular clock speed)
-UVKB5 Modem
-EDT GPS Files
-init.d scripts - EDT's SetPerms, Darkyy's Zipalign, Juwe's Ramscript, SdCardSpeedfix (set to 4096)
-Fugu Tweaks, with the latest app process binary compiled from 3.0 (its the sickness)
-Stripped a whole lot of Twiz, and all Bloat
-Framework rebuilt from stock JVQ Source. AOSP Lock Screen Only, Accurate Battery Mod, CRT Screen Off, Power Menu Mod, and a bunch of other tiny tweaks you may notice or you may not, with of course all the Zen theming you've come to know and love throughout the build.
-Mod Version, Full Kernel Version, and Stay Awake During Charging added to Settings
-Dialer from Darkyy's 10.2, with my touches on it
-AOSP Apps collected from various NexusS, SGS2, and i9000 Sources - Calculator, DeskClock, Email, and MMS
-Hacked camera from the i9000 forum, Power Button takes the pic, and sounds are removed.
-New Market
-Blacked out Twiz Calendar
-GB Keyboard
-MiuiMusic
-AppWidget Picker
-Galaxy S boot and shutdown animations

Screenshots

View attachment 1298

(Last pic hasn't been updated, but the about on your phone shows the correct version, 1.0)

Bugs

-GPS is buggy as all hell. Best of luck with it!

Non-Issue Issues

-The AOSP Email and MMS have a couple of odd looking icons in the menus, this is due to bad resource ids in the apps themselves, and I haven't had the time to track these down yet. Its not a functional issue, just some random oddness.

Install Instructions

-Download GingerZen and place it on your internal sd
-Reboot to Clockwork Recovery
-Perform a wipedata/factory reset
-Wipe cache and Dalvik
-Flash your downloaded GingerZen zip file
-Wipe Cache, Dalvik, and fix permissions, then reboot
-On bootup, please wait about ten minutes before doing anything, then reboot again
-Enjoy your Zen

** I recommend installing the Voodoo Control App from the Market, in order to take advantage of the full Voodoo Sound experience. Gives you a great chance to donate to a Supercurio too, for all he's done for our little phones.**

GB Bootloaders are STRONGLY RECOMMENDED!!! Find them here and hit adyscorpius's thanks button: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1117990

Download

GingerZen_1.0 - http://www.multiupload.com/W7U3JWMFLC

MD5 - cff3f1515a7ff92ba0aea2515d086d7f

Credits

Dan_Brutal, Jellette, Birgertime, Whitehawkx, Eugene, Supercurio, s0niqu3, scrizz, chainfire, krylon, sombionix, untermensch, Master, explodingboy, ECOTOX, drhonk, Big Dog KMC, Androidawg, lazyb421, dallen50, Gunsmith_Cats, everyone who's ever helped me out, and all the greats who've walked these halls before me. Mad props to all of y'all.

Attachments

·
1,139 Posts
Themes

Precision - The very first theme for GingerZen, by kwes1020, can be found on his thread - http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?t=1825

GingerZen AOSPish Gingerbread Style Theme - http://db.tt/UXFLqcM

GingerZen Theme Restore - http://db.tt/bBi7GC6 (only fully restores from my AOSP theme at this time)

GPS Info

I have no idea if this work for you or not, this GPS is buggy as hell and I am beyond supporting it right now, but here's what I did to get a GPS lock.

-Pushed the AngryGPS (by s0niqu3) and gpsd (by birgirtime) files, supplied by Alex9090 to me, to my phone.
-Accessed AngryGPS (in the app drawer now thanks to s0niqu3), go to Settings -> General Settings, and set the Operation Mode to MSBASED, and turned off XTRA.
-Now back to settings and SUPL Settings, and set the SSL Type to Google Server.
- I also pushed the North America gps.conf file from this thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=11342772&postcount=1) to my phone. There are gps.conf files for each Continent, and also specialized ones for areas of the United States linked there, its worth a read and some testing to see what works best for you. Thx again EB, for the heads up on that one, good lookin' out.

After doing those few steps, I was able to repeatedly get locks on my GPS. ITs still buggy and off point like Eclair was (yes I'm going back that far with it), but its better than nothing.

All of the files mentioned above are included in RC3 and above until further notice.

Eugene's Froyo That Does Not Brick

I have posted about it in several threads, including my own, so I figured I would finally put it in a central location. This is my FTDNB method for starting with a fresh, clean phone, without any ghosts of roms past popping up to cause you issues.

Download this first, and flash through Odin with your standard 512 pit file

http://eb-productions.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=samsungsgs&action=display&thread=8

Then when it reboots to the recovery screen, pull your battery, reinsert it and boot up to dl mode, and flash the following, with your same pit file, and selecting repartition in Odin this second flash only:

http://eb-productions.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=samsungsgs&action=display&thread=3

The first link there is Eugene's Froyo That Does Not Brick, but it doesnt work that well as a driver. As an eraser its great though! The second link is the Froyo JK2 leak, with fixed recovery and already rooted. If the first one didnt, the second flash will definitely put you back on Froyo bootloaders.

Thats my whole secret to keeping a clean phone and wiping out any ghosts. You can proceed from there in your desired direction (back to ZD or GZ preferrably) in a safe manner. Its always worked for me to clear up any oddness, and literally takes 15 minutes tops once you have the files downloaded.

Change Log

Code:
[B]RC3[/B]<br />
-Fixed liblights file for BLN<br />
-Replaced Talk with a newer version in an attempt to correct the Video Chat FC<br />
-AngryGPS now shows in the app drawer, courtes of s0niqu3 via Alex9090 (no more dialer code to access it)<br />
-New gpsd vendor file from Alex9090 (still attempting to get functional GPS)<br />
-North America specific gps.conf file from this thread ([url]http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=11342772&postcount=1[/url]) Much Grass to explodingboy70 for pointing it out to me. If you're in another country, grab a file that is specific to your location, from that same thread.<br />
-Removed the EDT GPS init.d script, I get better results without it.<br />
-Brought back Maps, should be no FC's<br />
-New LogProvider.apk that will not show SMS in your call logs, courtesy of explodingboy70<br />
<br />
[B]RC2[/B]<br />
-Fixed Camera and some other stuff I forgot what though<br />
<br />
[B]RC1[/B] - Initial Build<br />
-Gingerbread 2.3.4, XXJVR firmware<br />
-Bullet 1.42 OC JVP Kernel from cmenard (defaults to regular clock speed)<br />
-UVKB5 Modem<br />
-EDT GPS Files<br />
-init.d scripts - EDT's SetPerms, Darkyy's Zipalign, Juwe's Ramscript, SdCardSpeedfix (set to 4096)<br />
-Fugu Tweaks, with the latest app process binary compiled from 3.0 (its the sickness)<br />
-Stripped a whole lot of Twiz, and all Bloat<br />
-Framework rebuilt from stock JVQ Source. AOSP Lock Screen Only, Accurate Battery Mod, CRT Screen Off, Power Menu Mod, and a bunch of other tiny tweaks you may notice or you may not, with of course all the Zen theming you've come to know and love throughout the build.<br />
-Mod Version, Full Kernel Version, and Stay Awake During Charging added to Settings<br />
-Dialer from Darkyy's 10.2, with my touches on it<br />
-AOSP Apps collected from various NexusS, SGS2, and i9000 Sources - Calculator, Camera, DeskClock, Email, and MMS<br />
-New Market<br />
-Blacked out Twiz Calendar<br />
-GB Keyboard<br />
-MiuiMusic<br />
-AppWidget Picker<br />
-Galaxy S boot and shutdown animations

·
Android Beginner
21 Posts
4:40 AM. Damn dude. Thanks for all the time & work Br1cK'd. You know I want this; but I need to hear what's happening with the GPS on other folks. Maybe I should check somewhere else.

·
Supporting Member
19 Posts
"mdtolic said:
4:40 AM. Damn dude. Thanks for all the time & work Br1cK'd. You know I want this; but I need to hear what's happening with the GPS on other folks. Maybe I should check somewhere else.
The GPS took a little while to get a lock, about 30 seconds, but after that it worked really well for me. Had problems with Maps, but other navigation apps worked fine. Results seem to vary between phones so you should test it out yourself.

Sent from my ZenDroid using RootzWiki Forums

·
Android Beginner
21 Posts
lazyb421 said:
The GPS took a little while to get a lock, about 30 seconds, but after that it worked really well for me. Had problems with Maps, but other navigation apps worked fine. Results seem to vary between phones so you should test it out yourself.

Thanks man. I read the new Malice thread too. Seems to be a bug with Maps. I need that running smoothly. Not sure I want to download those GB bootloaders just yet; especially with my phone running so well the way it is. Curiosity may get the best of me though.

·
Supporting Member
19 Posts
"mdtolic said:
Thanks man. I read the new Malice thread too. Seems to be a bug with Maps. I need that running smoothly. Not sure I want to download those GB bootloaders just yet; especially with my phone running so well the way it is. Curiosity may get the best of me though.
Yeah I wasn't planning on using GB until an official leak, mainly because of the GPS problems. I have to have it working for my job. But I'm so impressed with this rom, to me it's worth working with a somewhat less functional GPS.

·
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will still be supporting ZenDroid, so no worries there. I understand the need for full functionality, and would not be offended in the least. And you can just flash back to a Froyo build through recovery if you need or want to, even w keeping the GB Bootloaders, Froyo works fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts