Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Android is my life
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just bought myself a DX the other day. And i'm looking into roms other then CM7. As i'm getting
a little board of it. I was thinking about OMFGB, but any advice would be nice.

·
Themer
632 Posts
There are two types of ROMs for the DROID x.

BLUR ROMs and 2nd init ROMs

Blur ROMs don't have cool tweaks like theme chooser and etc. These ROMs use the MOTOBLUR as a base.

2nd init ROMs can be any rom. Since the DROID x does not have a unlocked bootloader, we use a workaround called 2nd init. This allows us to use ROMs like CM7, OMFGB, and MIUI. Normally those ROMs are only available on phones with unlocked bootloaders, but due to 2nd init, we can do anything.

·
Average Android
295 Posts
Keep in mind that with 2nd Init Roms there's usually a sacrifice. Most (if not all) don't support HDMI Out or 720p (HD) camcorder. They are typically a bit faster and more customizable that a Blur-based ROM but also, in my experience, don't get as good battery life.

For a Blur ROM I'd suggest Sensei Mod. It's got a great balance of speed, battery life, functionality and stability.

·
Android Master
1,434 Posts
-darkslide is a great rom, bbcrackman is the man at mydroidworld, it's his rom but it's 596
-Apex is another one.
-MIUI if you want endless customization. don't let the iphone look bother you, use a different launcher
-vortex is being headed up by a really responsive dev and is a great rom
-omgb is still on froyo but good
-omfgb is on 602 but a ton of stuff isn't working but he's working on it and should be kick ass
-Mobile Sensei is a hard worker and make nice roms, he just tweeted a new one should drop tomorrow

I know I missed some. I have ran them all. So many choices, I cant stick with one.

·
Average Android
132 Posts
hillbilliegreg said:
I'd rather cut off a body part,than install a closed source rom from china ,with that said cm7 rules
I can understand the closed source part, but what's wrong with China-based products?

·
Android Apprentice
23 Posts
"KatsumeBlisk said:
I can understand the closed source part, but what's wrong with China-based products?
I'm sure you're aware of the cyber war with China (the state department denies) lol, also there's that darned little human rights thingy, (China denies)

·
Average Android
132 Posts
hillbilliegreg said:
I'm sure you're aware of the cyber war with China (the state department denies) lol, also there's that darned little human rights thingy, (China denies)
Companies don't represent their government. The US is about democracy. Look at Apple. What you do with their products is governed by them.

I'm not saying that you can't be against ROMs, but politics isn't a valid reason, imo.

This is my last post concerning MIUI's origins. This has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. ;-)

·
who needs drugs when you have a Nexus (CrackFlashe
287 Posts
too much lead based paint in the Chinese rom? ohhhhh, ewww.. too soon?

oh, and another vote for Vortex 2.3
(it leaves every part of the phone usable, but does seem to have a little slower performance than its previous vortex2.2 (602) )
and its base theme and icons look nice...

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
Wait, you mean people use roms other than CM7? o_O JK Before I went to CM7 I loved Liberty, but from what I've heard it hasn't been supported much lately, but if it is I highly recommend it. Jrummy is great! :)
I've heard good things about MIUI but I haven't given it a try yet.

·
Average Android
132 Posts
rubiksc00p said:
Wait, you mean people use roms other than CM7? o_O JK Before I went to CM7 I loved Liberty, but from what I've heard it hasn't been supported much lately, but if it is I highly recommend it. Jrummy is great! :)
I've heard good things about MIUI but I haven't given it a try yet.
Team Liberty is currently working on an update. It's fantastic.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts