Android OS Forum banner
101 - 120 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I previously rooted my Kindle Fire. After the 6.2.1 update I have attempted to re-root my device. Following all instructions everything appears to have worked correctly. However, when I use Root Check it states my device is not rooted. From my previous root I had downloaded ota rootkeeper. When I click on this icon it indicates that my device is rooted. Prior to checking root keeper and while checking with Root Check I receive the following:
The application Superuser (process com.noshufou.android.su) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

I am fairly new to rooting devices. Do I need to remove the previous su? If so, what is the process to do this.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have successfully rooted my 6.2.1 device with the new instructions. While installing the Android market I was abusing of my root privileges and I've successfully "burned" my device. That is, the Kindle won't start up anymore (it stays forever in the initial phase showing the kindleFire logo).
Should you find a way to get it unbricked, please post the solution. As I noted above, I got my stuck there too, and none of the previous unbrick methods seem to work with 6.2.1.

For anyone interested in how I bricked mine, this is what I did. I wanted to create a new android market account. I read that you could just delete the accounts.db file (if you did not want to do a factory reset), but that did not sound like a good idea since it also had my kindle account info. So I first made a copy of it to my sdcard directory as a backup. Next I copied it to my PC where I used a sqlite program to remove the market account record. I then copied the file back to it's original location. I rebooted the Fire and that is when it was stuck in the boot loop. ADB still worked, but root was gone. Thus I was not able to retrieve the backup copy, and even if I could, I no longer had permissions to replace the original. As I noted previously, all unbrick methods for 6.2 and below failed as none could get root back or get it out of normal boot mode.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First I want to thank jcase and everyone involved in this project.

This is the 2nd device I'm attempting to root ( I need to get a micro-usb cable) and the first was a Velocity Cruz tablet.

My question is with the kindle fire. Once you install the android market anything after that isn't stored on the cloud correct? I know I can get Dropbox (2GB), but is it a concern that the limited space of the Fire that apps are going to be stored locally with the market with no way to expand memory? Or is app space not a concern and other media still being stored on the cloud?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I previously rooted my Kindle Fire. After the 6.2.1 update I have attempted to re-root my device. Following all instructions everything appears to have worked correctly. However, when I use Root Check it states my device is not rooted. From my previous root I had downloaded ota rootkeeper. When I click on this icon it indicates that my device is rooted. Prior to checking root keeper and while checking with Root Check I receive the following:
The application Superuser (process com.noshufou.android.su) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

I am fairly new to rooting devices. Do I need to remove the previous su? If so, what is the process to do this.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
This is exactly my problem as well. I have now tried the re-rooting process multiple times, and am also getting an INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS message in my cmd prompt for the last step. Everything else seems to have worked. But, obviously, no Superuser joy.

I am reasonably naive about rooting, but have successfully rooted my HTC Hero and CM7-ed it, and obviously I did manage to root my KF prior to the Amazon OTA update. So... go gently! Thanks!

·
Rooter
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Have fun then, you obvious don't understand how it works. It gains root without modifying the system or causing instability, it certainly is the safest.

Point of root is to gain root access, as far as anything YOU do AFTER, thats your fault, don't blame anyone else or the method it was obtained. You obviously didn't read the disclaimer.

I'm sorry, but did you even read my initial post? I had it working fine. I made a mistake later messing with something else (accounts.db) and got it stuck in the boot loop. This root apears to require more than just adb access to get it working. If the Fire won't boot, you have lost root (even if you had it before).

I never said this method was not easy. It is. However, I will disagree that it is 'safest' if it needs burritoroot to actually be running before completing the process. If you can't get that running, then you are stuck. At least if all you have done is the basic root.

If you look at v.7 of the 'kindle fire utility' which is just a script to make things a little easier, it uses burittoroot as part of it's process to get temprorary or permanent root. But as noted, if the unit is stuck in the boot loop, it can't get root because it can't start burritoroot. If you are so sure it is 'safe' then screw up your acccounts.db file and let us all know how to unbrick it (on 6.2.1). What worked on previious versions for unbricking does not apear to work now (on a unit that has no other safeguards in place) .

I realize it was totally my fault for getting it stuck in the boot loop which had nothing to do with the root process. My only point is it does not apear to be as easy to unbrick it (if possible at all) on this version. I tried every method I could find, and none of them worked.

As far as doing 'extra things', isn't that the whole point of doing the root? Of course one always needs to be careful with what they do, But if 2.6.1 is harder or imposible to unbrick, then I stand by my statement that people might need to be a little more careful with this version.

But whatever. I can see this is another one of those forums where people can't have an opinion without getting flamed.

·
Rooter
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
This is exactly my problem as well. I have now tried the re-rooting process multiple times, and am also getting an INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS message in my cmd prompt for the last step. Everything else seems to have worked. But, obviously, no Superuser joy.

I am reasonably naive about rooting, but have successfully rooted my HTC Hero and CM7-ed it, and obviously I did manage to root my KF prior to the Amazon OTA update. So... go gently! Thanks!
That just means you already had superuser apk installed

·
Rooter
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Very welcome, as far as the storage I don't know how it is done at all on the fire.

First I want to thank jcase and everyone involved in this project.

This is the 2nd device I'm attempting to root ( I need to get a micro-usb cable) and the first was a Velocity Cruz tablet.

My question is with the kindle fire. Once you install the android market anything after that isn't stored on the cloud correct? I know I can get Dropbox (2GB), but is it a concern that the limited space of the Fire that apps are going to be stored locally with the market with no way to expand memory? Or is app space not a concern and other media still being stored on the cloud?

·
Registered
2 Posts
That just means you already had superuser apk installed
Right, but when I open Root Explorer or anything else that would require the device being rooted, it doesn't seem to be because immediately Root Explorer says that the Superuser process closed?

Thank you, btw, for your prompt response and your work on this stuff. Very much appreciated.

·
Android Apprentice
39 Posts
I agree, since you have followed NY thunderbolt method, which was way harder then this, I nominate you.

Lmk when your done trololok

On serious note, with a lack of windows knowledge and not having a fire I really cant do more at this time.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
Well... I see your point, but although the process for rooting the Thunderbolt was very long and tedious, your directions were very specific and precise. As long as one could get ADB loaded, working and their TB acknowledged by ADB, there was little one could do to get lost in the process. Not to say a question or two wouldn't pop up here and there, but really, it wasn't as bad as it looked. Thanks be to you!

·
Rooter
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Well... I see your point, but although the process for rooting the Thunderbolt was very long and tedious, your directions were very specific and precise. As long as one could get ADB loaded, working and their TB acknowledged by ADB, there was little one could do to get lost in the process. Not to say a question or two wouldn't pop up here and there, but really, it wasn't as bad as it looked. Thanks be to you!
Aw but see, I had someone else take my thunderbolt instructions and edit them, making them very specific and precise!

Seriously, if you want to re-write my directions, I would appreciate it. Its not a skill I have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks to jcase for making all this possible. That said, I am fully aware that jcase is not responsible for the Windows part of this process. I did everything following the video step by step. Problem: after installing the device drivers the device is listed in device manager as shown in the video, but when I get into the command prompt and run "adb devices", it can't find the Kindle and reports no devices. Yes I made sure the kindle was connected at that point (actually tried it both ways), and yes I rebooted twice and reinstalled the drivers once after uninstalling and deleting them. No joy. The Kindle updated its firmware yesterday so I assume I am running 6.2.1 (what it says is system version 6.2_user_3003020). The computer runs Windows 7 Professional SP1 with all recent updates.

Everything else worked, the BurritoRoot app is on the Kindle, but I can't perform the adb commands in the instructions because adb can't see the kindle. Any help appreciated.

Once this works I would be happy to donate. Presumably donating to RootzWiki where it says are you tired of the ads had that effect.

Finally, my only problem with the directions was that some of the necessary links are only visible if you go to the video in Youtube rather than through some of the other links, and don't forget to click on the "more" under the video.

Thanks for any advice.

Enno

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I issue the command:

adb push su /system/xbin/su

I get the following result:

1389 KB/s (0 bytes in 2228.000s)

And in the video, the result is:

1177 KB/s (22364 bytes in 0.018s)

My device shows up in adb devices and everything works up to this point. I am running version 6.2.1 on my Kindle Fire which I received yesterday for Christmas but it was purchased on or about 12/10/11.

I have tried using the file su from superuser.zip and from superuser-2.zip and neither one seems to work.

Any ideas?

Thank you, jcase!

P.S. My Kindle system version is 6.2.1_user_3103920

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/27/11

I got it rooted by just completing the rest of the commands. Apparently, it doesn't matter if it shows 0 bytes in the su push. I found the file su in the system/xbin folder.

All is right with the world again. ;-)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have fun then, you obvious don't understand how it works. It gains root without modifying the system or causing instability, it certainly is the safest.

Point of root is to gain root access, as far as anything YOU do AFTER, thats your fault, don't blame anyone else or the method it was obtained. You obviously didn't read the disclaimer.
As I already clearly stated, whatever happened was MY fault. And I never said this PROCESS of rooting was not the safest (and even perhaps the easiest). The issue (which people seem to be ignoring) is that if something does go wrong afterward, it may not be as easy to unbrick as it was prior to 2.6.1. On prior versions as long as you still had ADB, you stood a good chance of fixing things. That no longer seems to be the case. If putting out an extra word of caution is frowned upon, so be it.

·
Rooter
241 Posts
As I already clearly stated, whatever happened was MY fault. And I never said this PROCESS of rooting was not the safest (and even perhaps the easiest). The issue (which people seem to be ignoring) is that if something does go wrong afterward, it may not be as easy to unbrick as it was prior to 2.6.1. On prior versions as long as you still had ADB, you stood a good chance of fixing things. That no longer seems to be the case. If putting out an extra word of caution is frowned upon, so be it.
None of that has anything to do with gaining root, but I did take time out of my day to address your concern and I am posting a tool to attempt to prevent this in the future.

But it still requires the user to do something additional, and not mess it up. Installing an unsecured boot would work as well, and was available for you before you rooted.

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/13376-burritoreboot-utility-softbrick-protection/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

I just followed the process from the OP but with old Superuser.apk and got the FC's.

I then tried to copy the newer superuser.apk with the longer name and just installed it, it asked if to replace the older application, i said yes and installation completed but fc's remain.

Should i repeat the whole process with the newer apk ?

Thank you brave men and women !

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK so I ran into a bit of a logjam as I always do with things like this. I followed the video and got to the installing driver part. Everything went fine and it showed up as the android phone just like the video in the device manager; however here is where I hit the snag. I ran the command prompt and went to the kindleadb directory and typed adb devices and my kindle was not in the list of attached devices. So as the video suggested I restarted my computer. That didnt work so I tried to reinstall the drivers and here is where the headache began:

there is my command prompt. At this point I have no idea how to go about fixing this. Some hep would be greatly appreciated.
----------------edit-------------
I successfully reinstalled the driver and still no devices appear in the cmd. Oh forgot to say I am running windows 7

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks like Dave17 and I (ennojunk - see a couple of posts up) have the same problem. We seem to have been trying this within a couple of days of each other. I hope Amazon didn't make further updates that make this harder. Any ways to troubleshoot this step appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Right, but when I open Root Explorer or anything else that would require the device being rooted, it doesn't seem to be because immediately Root Explorer says that the Superuser process closed?

Thank you, btw, for your prompt response and your work on this stuff. Very much appreciated.
Sounds like my first experience. This may not help at all but........when I would type the commands in as per the written insturctions, they would do something (never really understood exactly what I should be seeing) and I would enter the next command. The last command would just attempt to load su which I also already had loaded. So it would all stop and I would think I was done but, NO root! Turns our I was not inputting the commands correctly and they would not do what they were supposed to do. You might want to retry and carefully look at each one. In my case I was not putting a space before the "/system" part of the commands because I thought it looked like there wasn't supposed to be a space there. Well turns out there is, did it again and bam, worked like a charm!

·
Registered
18 Posts
OK so I ran into a bit of a logjam as I always do with things like this. I followed the video and got to the installing driver part. Everything went fine and it showed up as the android phone just like the video in the device manager; however here is where I hit the snag. I ran the command prompt and went to the kindleadb directory and typed adb devices and my kindle was not in the list of attached devices.

At this point I have no idea how to go about fixing this. Some hep would be greatly appreciated.
A common problem is when people copy/paste the 0x1949 line to the driver .ini. Sometimes it adds a weird special character or something and then it won't work. Try manually typing it and reinstall the driver (see post #61).

Might also have to set adb to run in xp compatabily mode too. Not sure about that, just recall seeing it mentioned somewhere. .

101 - 120 of 200 Posts