Android OS Forum banner
121 - 140 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was able to get the market to open using open market as suggested. All of my downloads now sit at starting download and do not do anything. I have tried clearing cache and storage on the google framework, market and open market apps. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
18 Posts
This was a little confusing to me. Adding this was not done in the video, but my adb_usb.ini as downloaded and unzipped consists SOLELY of 0x1949, nothing else. What else if anything should be in there? I never opened it until seeing Dave's post.
The first 3 lines are just comments, and I would guess are not needed (although I have left mine alone)
# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.
# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.
0x1949

However, there are some special formatting characters in there because if you open it with notepad, it does not look like it does above.

·
Registered
5 Posts
UPDATE: I'm not sure what I was doing wrong using the included "unroot" option, but for now, OTA Rootkeeper unroots enough for me to watch Amazon Videos. (Thanks, screwyluie on xda-developers. (http://forum.xda-dev...97&postcount=13))
I got the OTA Rootkeeper app installed, but it only offers me the option to "protect root", not undo root, and it doe snot hide root enough for me to actually be able to use Prime Streaming. I have NOT removed the Superuser app, su, nor have I attempted to change any permissions or ownership beyond what was done to actually root the Fire. Do you (or does anyone) know exactly what needs to be removed to get streaming working again?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got the OTA Rootkeeper app installed, but it only offers me the option to "protect root", not undo root, and it doe snot hide root enough for me to actually be able to use Prime Streaming. I have NOT removed the Superuser app, su, nor have I attempted to change any permissions or ownership beyond what was done to actually root the Fire. Do you (or does anyone) know exactly what needs to be removed to get streaming working again?
Apparently I lie - RootCheck.apk application tells me I do NOT have root. Amazon thinks I do, however, because they will not allow me to play video. I have totally removed and re-installed BurritoRoot according to the directions, still no luck. I simply do not get root. Any ideas on settings I should check, etc?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you made sure to remove the previous superuser.apk, market.apk, ?..I was having trouble getting root back and after going back and deleting those .apk's then using burritoroot, then reattaching the KF to the computer and running those five lines of cmd again I gained root back. Then installed Google frameworks, moved the market apk (change permissions), and then installed market opener .apk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had root for a bit over 24 hours and when I tried to modify a few things it tells me I cant - run root check and I am no longer root... could they have pushed a fix this quickly? My firmware seems to be the same rev... any other people experiencing an issue?

·
Android Apprentice
39 Posts
JCase - you're a GENIUS,,, DUDE!!!! I thought I'd never get through setting Windows up right... but took my time using my Windows machine (not my Mac this time for once) and get it all set. Once it came time to do the actual rooting, it was a cake walk.

The only thing I would change in your OP is the ADB line for installing the Superuser apk. It should read, "adb install com.noshufou.android.su-1.apk", NOT "adb install superuser.apk". I think when the new superuser was linked to the op, the ADB command was not updated to match the new su file name. No biggie, but it might confuse some who are not successful with installing the new superuser. You might also link people to this here: http://reviewhorizon.com/2011/11/how-to-root-jailbreak-kindle-fire-using-one-click-solution-superoneclick-also-enable-sideloading-apps/ The did a great job nominating themselves for explaining very clearly and precisely what to do to set up Windows and the whole process... LMAO!

Man, thank you for your fine efforts, and I will be getting a donation to you by the end of this weekend!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you made sure to remove the previous superuser.apk, market.apk, ?..I was having trouble getting root back and after going back and deleting those .apk's then using burritoroot, then reattaching the KF to the computer and running those five lines of cmd again I gained root back. Then installed Google frameworks, moved the market apk (change permissions), and then installed market opener .apk
CONCLUSION : If you want to read everything below, go right ahead, but the upshot was I needed to remove the su directory from under /system/xbin then re-run the install with either the original su files or the newer updated ones to get proper root access.
Many thanks to jcase, donation made

Yes, I've removed and re-run the whole process - three times, twice from OSx, once from Windows. I have the andriod market and the market opener installed and working, but I cannot get root with Burritio root according to root check, and also according to the OTA Rootkeeper. Since OTA Rootkeeper doesn't have root access, it can't hide the fact that I have root from Amazon - so at this point, I have no Prime streaming Video, and I have no root. Kind of the worst of both worlds
I'll be going through and removing everything and trying again from scratch today. Fingers crossed. Any additional suggestions I'll be happy to follow.

UPDATE - The link to multiupload in the original post ( http://www.multiupload.com/ONH28CB1GU ) that is supposed to link to superuser-2.zip isn't always sending the updated file. Perhaps I missed something, but yesterday, just once, I was able to get it to give me superuser-2.zip, which does contain Superuser.apk. Today, from two different machines, I am being given superuser.zip from that link, which appears to contain the original com.noshufou.android.su-1.apk. I will try both to see if either allows me root access.

UPDATE 2 - Well, that's a result! I went back to the original files, and was able to get everything to work.
I uninstalled Superuser.apk, then uninstalled Burritoroot. I downloaded and installed Burrito root from the original link, copied it to my device, installed it, ran it, told it to give me root. I then tapped the notifications area, tapped USB is Connected, and my Kindle hooked up to my Mac through the USB cable.
I copied the superuser folder to my adb folder on the mac, started a terminal session, changed to the superuser folder (adb executables are in my path on the Mac), and then did this:
adb kill-server
(Tap Disconnect on Kindle, then reconnect via method above)
adb root
adb devices (this shows me whether the Kindle is connected to the computer or not)
adb remount
adb shell
At the shell, I removed the su directory and rebooted the Kindle like so:
# cd /system/xbin
#rmdir su
# reboot

Once the su directory was gone and the kindle rebooted, Amazon Prime video streaming worked again. I ran Burrito root again to re-root the device, then connected via USB and from the terminal session where the original su/com.noshufou.android.su-1.apk files were located:
adb kill-server (Tap Disconnect on Kindle, then reconnect via method above)
adb root
adb remount
adb push su /system/xbin/su
adb shell chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su
adb shell chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su
adb install com.noshufou.android.su-1.apk
adb reboot

Once rebooted, I ran the superuser app, exited out, ran root check, and tested root. I was asked to approve super user which i did, and root checker said I had root. OTA rootkeeper also worked, I was able to run the temorary unroot and access prime videos.
I am now going to remove it all and try again, this time with the updated su/Superuser.apk. This should tell me whether or not my problem was not removing the su directory when I re-installed the LAST three times

UPDATE 3 - Success with new su/Superuser.apk versiuon as well! I re-enabled root through OTA rootkeper before beginning, then uninstalled the superuser app, ran burritto root, and hooked up via usb, adb kill-server, adb root, adb remount, adb shell, but the su directory was already gone. I re-installed using the newer su/Superuser.apk files the same way I installed above, and everything works as it is supposed to. in OTA rootkeeper, I told it to remove the exisitng su backup and backup the newer su. This is how I'll run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there

Thanks for the simple root method.

A couple of questions though.

1. How can i confirm that my fire is rooted?

2. Is there a guide for installing the google android market please? (I have installed it but it always closes unexpectedly)

Thanks again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there

Thanks for the simple root method.

A couple of questions though.

1. How can i confirm that my fire is rooted?

2. Is there a guide for installing the google android market please? (I have installed it but it always closes unexpectedly)

Thanks again
These are the resources I used to install the market.
This tells you how to get the files you need to install - ignore the references to superoneclick, root using Burritoroot.
You do NOT need the GO interface they tell you to get at about the 7 minute mark in the video - instead, follow the links below that allow you to install an app that works with the native Kindle FIre interface
http://forum.xda-dev...14&postcount=39

Once you are able to access the store, there is a free app I used called Root Checker Basic. To find it, I did a search for root checker, and it was the first app to turn up. I'm sure you can get this app other places without access to the store, but that is where I got it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
UPDATE - The link to multiupload in the original post ( http://www.multiupload.com/ONH28CB1GU ) that is supposed to link to superuser-2.zip isn't always sending the updated file. Perhaps I missed something, but yesterday, just once, I was able to get it to give me superuser-2.zip, which does contain Superuser.apk. Today, from two different machines, I am being given superuser.zip from that link, which appears to contain the original com.noshufou.android.su-1.apk. I will try both to see if either allows me root access.
I noticed that too. Yesterday I was getting the original, and today it's giving superuser-2.zip again. I was double checking because I had rooted my replacement Fire with KF utility and saw that it was using com.noshufou.android.su-1.apk and I wanted to compare the file size against superuser.apk. That is when I saw it was sending the original again. I was going to post about this, and went to check again but got superuser-2.zip this time. In any case com.noshufou.android.su-1.apk seems to be working ok. But unless there is a reason it's doing doling out the different files, perhaps the OP should have a note to double check which file they get, as the directions will be different (and a noobie might not know).

·
Registered
39 Posts
when i get to "install superuser apk" i get "can't find 'superuser.apk' to install"....any ideas?? i've got everything saved im my android sdk platform tools folder cuz i couldn't find a live kindle adb link. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
18 Posts
when i get to "install superuser apk" i get "can't find 'superuser.apk' to install"....any ideas?? i've got everything saved im my android sdk platform tools folder cuz i couldn't find a live kindle adb link. thanks in advance!
See the post above. You should have either com.noshufou.android.su-1.apk or superuser.apk. Just change the command to install the one you have. Or try redownloading the zip from the first post and if it is superuser-2.zip, it should have the correct superuser.apk file in it. Also make sure whichever file you do have, is in the same folder that you are running adb from.

·
Rooter
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
i probably included the wrong file name for the apk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
These are the resources I used to install the market.
This tells you how to get the files you need to install - ignore the references to superoneclick, root using Burritoroot.
You do NOT need the GO interface they tell you to get at about the 7 minute mark in the video - instead, follow the links below that allow you to install an app that works with the native Kindle FIre interface
http://forum.xda-dev...14&postcount=39

Once you are able to access the store, there is a free app I used called Root Checker Basic. To find it, I did a search for root checker, and it was the first app to turn up. I'm sure you can get this app other places without access to the store, but that is where I got it.
Thanks.

I must be doing something wrong.
After following the instructions to root using Burritoroot which seems to work, when i then issue the adb remount command i get
'remount failed: Operation not permitted' which suggests the device is not rooted.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks.

I must be doing something wrong.
After following the instructions to root using Burritoroot which seems to work, when i then issue the adb remount command i get
'remount failed: Operation not permitted' which suggests the device is not rooted.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
Reboot the Fire.(just to have a fresh start)
Start the burritoroot app and select root.
Then issue the adb root command
Now your adb remount command should work (until you reboot the Fire, then just do the above again).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys,

First I would like to thank OP for his efforts with rooting. Secondly, I'd like to apologize before hand if this has been covered. I am somewhat of a newbie to this rooting thing(I am well aware of the risks lol) and I am stuck at one part of the rooting process which is bothering the crap out of me.

For whatever reason, under Device Manager my Kindle Fire now does not appear. It previously did show under "Other Devices" but there was no option to choose the android_winusb.inf file. I have gone and retraced all my previous steps and still to no avail and now I'm not quite sure what I did that the Kindle Fire does not appear period even after being unplugged and re-plugged. Any help would be greatly appreciated and again I apologize before hand if this was answered for someone else I did a search and nothing showed up.
can someone please help?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I, like many others, am stumped when it comes to the ADB portion of the exercise. For some reason that I cannot fathom, when I type "adb device" into the command console, the computer refuses to accept that the device is connected. It shows up in Windows Explorer but not from the command console. I tried uninstalling the driver, no luck; restarting the computer, no luck; killing the adb server, no luck; rebooting the Kindle, no luck. I tried it on my laptop, too, and you guessed it: no luck.

Am I missing some crucial step? My Kindle Fire says that it's running version: 6.2.1_user_3103920

This is starting to drive me batty. I rooted my Kindle 3 with no troubles, but this beastie is just giving me the blues!

·
Registered
1 Posts
When i try to install the drivers it says, " The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. if the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for 32-bit systems." I'm using my wife's older vista laptop. any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

121 - 140 of 200 Posts