Android OS Forum banner
141 - 160 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I, like many others, am stumped when it comes to the ADB portion of the exercise. For some reason that I cannot fathom, when I type "adb device" into the command console, the computer refuses to accept that the device is connected. It shows up in Windows Explorer but not from the command console. I tried uninstalling the driver, no luck; restarting the computer, no luck; killing the adb server, no luck; rebooting the Kindle, no luck. I tried it on my laptop, too, and you guessed it: no luck.

Am I missing some crucial step? My Kindle Fire says that it's running version: 6.2.1_user_3103920

This is starting to drive me batty. I rooted my Kindle 3 with no troubles, but this beastie is just giving me the blues!
that is also another issue I have wish someone would have an answer on this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay... thanks to Poppo I was finally able to successfully root the Kindle. Great, right? *sigh* The whole purpose behind doing this was so that I could have my own wallpapers/screensavers on the damn thing. Root Check says that it's been successfully rooted, but I can't see the root directory from my computer, which kinda-sorta makes this whole exercise a moot point. Doesn't it? Or am I missing yet another crucial step?

·
Registered
18 Posts
When i try to install the drivers it says, " The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. if the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for 32-bit systems." I'm using my wife's older vista laptop. any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Do a Google for Kindle Fire Utility. It has the driver for both 32 and 64 bit (although the other packages should too).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Okay... thanks to Poppo I was finally able to successfully root the Kindle. Great, right? *sigh* The whole purpose behind doing this was so that I could have my own wallpapers/screensavers on the damn thing. Root Check says that it's been successfully rooted, but I can't see the root directory from my computer, which kinda-sorta makes this whole exercise a moot point. Doesn't it? Or am I missing yet another crucial step?
Well, you won't see it like you see the 'sdcard' directory from within Windows. You have to either use adb commands, or an app like root explorer (v2.17.1) to manipulate the files directly on the Fire. With root explorer, you can copy files to the sdcard directory and then move to the PC via Windows (to modify) and then copy them back the same way (first to sdcard, then root explorer to finish).

HOWEVER, you must be very careful when moving files around. Make darn sure you know what permisions the file had to begin with and make sure they are the same when done or the next time you reboot, you may end up bricked. And some files will brick your unit if you mess with them at all. So do a lot of research before playing with root.

Do a google search for changing wallpaper on the KF. You will find several tutorials.

I also highly recomend installing TWRP which will get you out of just about any jam. You can even 'pre-load' the 6.2.1 update (rename it update.zip) in the root directory of the sdcard folder, and if all else fails TWRP can reflash the fire to the way it came out of the box. Of course you will have to start all over, but it's a good insurance policy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, I've bricked it once already and managed to restore to defaults. When I repeated the rooting process, it was cleaner the second time around. I'm learning, that's for certain! I've yet to find a copy of root explorer to use on my Kindle so far, but I also haven't really looked that hard. Perhaps I'll do that today- the method of copying from Comp to SDCard, then from SDCard to Root is a little counter-intuitive, but I think it'll work. I tried using Droid Explorer yesterday on my computer, but it wouldn't even acknowledge the Fire's existence. So I guess Root Explorer is the way I'll try to go. If that doesn't work, I'll just give it up altogether. I've seen the (many) tutorials on how to change the wallpaper, both video and text versions- virtually ALL of them didn't work on my setup for some damn reason, which is why I'm trying to go with the more direct approach.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah. Okay. I got Root Explorer on the KF now. No biggie. I'm having a dickens of a time finding where the frackin' source images for the wallpapers are, though. There's a folder, /data/data/com.android.settings/files (I think that's right), which is supposedly instrumental in modding the wallpaper, but a closer look at that folder and how it works indicates that it's just a repository for which wallpaper was used the last time the device was woken up- useless info, IMHO. I'm looking for the *source* images, where that folder pulls it data from. If I can gain access to THAT, I'd be a much happier camper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Back to the problem a number of us are having getting adb to see that the Kindle is even there, could someone for whom it worked check what port adb is using? When one first start up adb, it starts the daemon and states what port is being used. Mine says 5037, as below. Is anyone seeing anything different, and does it matter? My system is Windows 7, SP1. Note the lack of any devices attached, even after trying again, in the example below. Like SPC_Seals, cappa and others I've tried restarting, rebooting, reloading the drivers, etc. all to no avail.

I just noticed in a later post that Poppo gave SPC_Seals a solution. Could you share it with the rest of us? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Enno

C:\temp\android\KindleADB>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached

C:\temp\android\KindleADB>adb devices
List of devices attached

C:\temp\android\KindleADB>

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've yet to find a copy of root explorer to use on my Kindle so far, but I also haven't really looked that hard. Perhaps I'll do that today- the method of copying from Comp to SDCard, then from SDCard to Root is a little counter-intuitive, but ...
Google is your friend. Just do a search for root explorer.apk (be sure to find the version I listed above as others did not seem to work properly)

Yes copying to scard just to get it to your PC is not the ideal solution. But unless someone is familiar with adb pull and adb push, it is a little easier. However as noted above, you will still need something like root explorer that can change permisions. Look for one of the tutorials on how to install Andoid Market and you will get the idea. Most use the same method of copy to sdcard, then use root explorer to complete the process.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am still not root, I do everything asked of me and its all successful - this was an out of the box 6.2.1 build that I had root on after following these steps. I than installed BusyBox and I lost root. I re-ran everything and it works properly but when I run root check it tells me to pound sand. I even reset to defaults and re-ran everything and I still get I dont have root. Any help would be appreciated I have been trolling forums for similar issues but Ive got nothing. HELP ME!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happy new year!

I have rooted my kindle fire using this system.
Thank you very much.
But I did a mistake and deleted all my /system/fonts/ files
Now my tablet is stuck in KindleFire logo, I can see the system files through adb command line
But can`t change anything because I can`t use su file.
Could anyone help me please?

·
Registered
8 Posts
For the person having a hard time getting ADB to recognize their K: the thing that really cinched it for me was to delete the drivers for my KF, even the ones labeled "Android Composite ADB Device", and reinstall them. Don't just uninstall the drivers- DELETE them (there's a little check box/option at the bottom of the dialogue window that comes up when you click on the Uninstall Drivers button in the Device Manager). Completely and absolutely removing the drivers and reinstalling them manually helped me a great deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, I am about to buy a kindle fire on 6.2.1, but I am in the UK so can't install any file managers from the amazon app store. Will I still be able to root my Kindle Fire?

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the Android community, so I'm on a major learning curve here (but its fun to learn new things).

Here is the issue I am having. Got everything to run perfectly... drivers installed in windows with no issue, the Fire was recognized, got burritoroot installed, ran the commands, got superuser installed, root check confirms that I am rooted.

The issue I am having is that burritoroot is only giving me the option to root, I am never getting the button to unroot the device. I've seen another tool mentioned that will hide the root so you can use Amazon services, but I'd like to get this working; plus I thought the author might like the info in case I am seeing a strange bug.

I am running stock Kindle fire with the 6.2.1 firmware upgrade; before burrito root, the only non-Amazon approved software that was installed were Google apps (those that will run without root).

Any assistance is appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an issue. I followed all the instructions and was successful in rooting. However, my BurritoRoot app DOESN'T have the option to UnRoot.
There is no button to unroot.
What do I do when I want to unroot?
Please help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You might consider uninstalling the BurritoRoot app and reinstalling it. Also, check which version you have and see if there isn't a newer one. Those are the only two suggestions I can come up with. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have everything done right i just cannot see my kindle fire under adb devices i followed step by step, i rebooted computer , i reinstalled driver 4 times still nothing please help me fast

·
Registered
8 Posts
When you reinstalled the driver did you make *absolutely certain* that it was deleted before reinstalling? When you click on the Uninstall button in Device Manager, a confirmation window will pop up and there is a small check-box that asks if you want to delete all drivers related to that device. If you don't check that box, the device will technically uninstall the drivers, which amounts to basically stopping the service and removing it from RAM memory, but when you reboot, it'll reinstall the old driver automatically. I had the same problem with ADB at first until I figured that piece out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I spontaneously lost root access and can't get it back.

I'm in pretty desperate need of help. I've spent the last 7 hours attempting to root my phone and get Android Market up and running. The instructions here got my device rooted without too much trouble. Unfortunately, I ran into many problems trying to get Market to work. I eventually got to the point in which Root Explorer wasn't letting me mark the system/apps direction r/w, and so I was attempting to use Titanium Backup to copy the marker.apk (sp?) file over to the right directory, or convert it into a system file or something. I didn't find any option in the version I had installed, so I uninstalled it and found a more up-to-date apk and put that on my Kindle. I then ran the program and found that it wouldn't run at all, and I discovered it was because my device had spontaneously lost root. WTF??

I uninstalled Titanium Root and Busybox. Then I followed the same steps to gain root access and, while everything worked without error, I wasn't able to get root access back. The root checker program continually confirms that I don't have root access, and I can't run any programs that require root. I have tried to redo the root process multiple times.

Also, I'm not sure if it's related, but I uninstalled a "Busybox Installer", but the root checker still reports that I have busybox installed. Don't see any trace of it elsewhere in my applications list.

I'm at a complete loss as to what to do. This has been the most horrific experience I've ever had with an Android device. Anybody have any idea what is going on and why I magically lost root access?

141 - 160 of 200 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.