Android OS Forum banner
161 - 180 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I spontaneously lost root access and can't get it back.

I'm in pretty desperate need of help. I've spent the last 7 hours attempting to root my phone and get Android Market up and running. The instructions here got my device rooted without too much trouble. Unfortunately, I ran into many problems trying to get Market to work. I eventually got to the point in which Root Explorer wasn't letting me mark the system/apps direction r/w, and so I was attempting to use Titanium Backup to copy the marker.apk (sp?) file over to the right directory, or convert it into a system file or something. I didn't find any option in the version I had installed, so I uninstalled it and found a more up-to-date apk and put that on my Kindle. I then ran the program and found that it wouldn't run at all, and I discovered it was because my device had spontaneously lost root. WTF??

I uninstalled Titanium Root and Busybox. Then I followed the same steps to gain root access and, while everything worked without error, I wasn't able to get root access back. The root checker program continually confirms that I don't have root access, and I can't run any programs that require root. I have tried to redo the root process multiple times.

Also, I'm not sure if it's related, but I uninstalled a "Busybox Installer", but the root checker still reports that I have busybox installed. Don't see any trace of it elsewhere in my applications list.

I'm at a complete loss as to what to do. This has been the most horrific experience I've ever had with an Android device. Anybody have any idea what is going on and why I magically lost root access?
Same. I've tried everything. My firmware version is 6.2.1_user_3103920

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also Noticing that BurritoRoot has not Unroot option on version 1.0.2. Is there another way to do the same thing do that Amazon downloads work when I want?
My understanding is that the unroot function on the older versions of BurritoRoot didn't work, so in the newer versions it has been removed.

To everyone asking how to unroot:

Download OTA RootKeeper from the Android Market. Once it's installed, run it, tap "Protect Root," then "Temp. un-root (keeps backup)"

I've unrooted with OTA RootKeeper and so far everything seems fine - I can run video without any problems whatsoever. Plus, OTA RootKeeper is good to have anyway since it lets you re-root with the press of a button, even when the next OTA Amazon update inevitably tries to remove root access again.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have tried walking through these steps twice so far,and keep running into the same problem. My Kindle will not allow me to mount the system/app directory as R/W. When I push Mount as R/W button at the top of root explorer, the button changes to Remount as R/W, but then when I press Paste to paste in the market file, I get an error that says, "You cannot paste here because the file system is read only."

I'm going crazy trying to figure out what I must be doing wrong to cause this, when it seems to work beautifully for most people. Nor can I find anything that addresses this problem on the Internet. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Figured it out for my build at least. Unplug the Kindle while doing BurritoRoot, download the SuperUser.zip from here then hook it in and type in command prompt

Code:
<br />
adb root<br />
adb remount<br />
adb push su /system/xbin/su<br />
adb shell chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su<br />
adb shell chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su<br />
adb install superuser.apk<br />
adb reboot<br />
Came back on, I adb shell'd it, typed in su and bam, it was working!

·
Registered
1 Posts
ive tried everything to root my kindle fire. just that it gets stuck at the adb root part.
The best part is that my device isnt seen in "my computer" anymore. i do hear a sound when i connect and the fire to my notebook. Any help will be sincerely appreciated. Thanks, DC​

·
Android Apprentice
47 Posts
When rooting with this method, will it wipe all your data? I rooted 2 new Kindle fires out of the box at christmas so data was not a concern then, but a friend wants her fire rooted now. Just asking so I know if I have to back up her data before rooting.
Thanks

·
Rooter
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
When rooting with this method, will it wipe all your data? I rooted 2 new Kindle fires out of the box at christmas so data was not a concern then, but a friend wants her fire rooted now. Just asking so I know if I have to back up her data before rooting.
Thanks
No, data loss is not a concern here

Sent from my Nexus S using RootzWiki

·
Registered
5 Posts
Note, 6.2.2 hit my device today, and restoring my root with rootkeeper did not work - it appears that Amazon either deleted or made inaccessable the backup of my root. Going to have to go through burritoroot again - anyone else have any experience with 6.2.2 yet?

UPDATE - I followed the new instuctions with the new BUrritoRoot2.bin file in post 1 of this thread, worked a treat. I have root back.

Interestingly, after the 6.2.2 update, all the android market apk's were gone, but the MarketOpener.apk was not. Once I re-installed the market files, I was able to re-setup my google accoutn and get back to the Android app store.

·
Android Apprentice
47 Posts
OK, I have a Kindle Fire with 6.2.2, stock. I have ADB installed and working. When I enter the command adb devices, I get the serial number for the kindle attached. I downloaded the 3 files from the OP and put them in the platform-tools folder of the SDK. I followed the instructions as listed in the OP and when enter the 1st line exactly as it is, I get nothing. It just gives me a list of commands but does not push burrito root 2 to the device. Is there something im missing here?
Edit: I was missing the USB driver files. I updated the tools and installed the USB driver folder and made the changes to add the kindle to the device list and it worked like a charm. Both my kindles are now rooted and working

·
Registered
4 Posts
my kindle fire won't root anymore

it says on my CMD kindleADB>adb root: adbd cannot run as root in production builds

what can i do?
i tried the new thread with BurritoRoot2.bin in my ADB folder

adb push burrito.... success
adb shell chmod 777.... "Usage: chmod <Mode> <File>" success???
adb shell/data/...... the whole menu again.... success???
adb root.... adbd cannot run as root in production builds.... i'm stucked

161 - 180 of 200 Posts