Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Android Beginner
10 Posts
Check it out!

Hacked by attn1 and roman220, borrowing from Pantech Burst root made possible by jcase and iomonster.

Prerequisite:
Install Pantech drivers (windows) and get adb/fastboot working

Process:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery cwm-5.0.2.7-pororo.img
fastboot flash boot element-boot-insecure.img
fastboot reboot
install superuser from Clockworkmod recovery

http://tau.shadowchi...element-pkg.zip (Element insecure boot and Clockworkmod Recovery images)

http://downloads.and...fghi-signed.zip (CWM flashable superuser)

for openvpn connectivity tun kernel module:
http://dl.dropbox.co...1/p4100-tun.zip

·
Registered
1 Posts
You guys rock!!! I was not able to get superuser installed from market. But after installing your images, i was able to start adb in root and
push su and super user and now i have root!!! Freaking awesome! I just got this Pantech Element yesterday after I sent my Acer A501 in for repair.
I cant be without a tablet, so I picked up this Element and I really like it. But after reading all the info on the web I thought I was going to be stuck
with all this AT&T bloatware. Now I can do what I want with a piece of hardware I own. Thanks again..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't get this to work either. I think I have done it correctly, and I was able to install superuser from the store, however when I launch TI Backup, it tells me it cannot get root access..

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey attn1, thanks for this - but some of us can't get this to work.
I was successfull installing both image files, but Root Check says that it isn't Rooted (and SupeUser isn't working). Also when in Recovery, I can't install anything from the sdcard (it says that it can't mount)

Would you have any ideas to help me out?

·
Android Beginner
10 Posts
hey attn1, thanks for this - but some of us can't get this to work.
I was successfull installing both image files, but Root Check says that it isn't Rooted (and SupeUser isn't working). Also when in Recovery, I can't install anything from the sdcard (it says that it can't mount)

Would you have any ideas to help me out?
Recovery only uses the removable sdcard. Also, you need to install superuser from the SDCARD. You can't install it from play store if you are not already rooted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there any way we could possibly get the secure boot image to flash back to the tablet? And could I also get a copy/paste of the original build.prop from the tablet? I would appreciate any help that I could get. Thanks for your work on this!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just got a notification that there is an AT&T software update available. I postponed it for now, have 2 postpones remaining.

Has anyone else who is rooted given this a shot?

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks for the good work guys. i'm having a small problem rooting my element though. i installed the pantech drivers and got adb/fastboot working, but when i do "adb reboot bootloader" windows wont recognize my element anymore. the window device manager shows it as unknown device: android. i have reistalled the driver a couple of times, but that didn't fix the problem. any ideas on how i can get win to recognize it, or am just doing it wrong?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just got a notification that there is an AT&T software update available. I postponed it for now, have 2 postpones remaining.

Has anyone else who is rooted given this a shot?
So I gave the AT&T software update a shot, as it wouldn't stop notifying and beeping all the time.

However, after downloading and restarting, it just flashed up a message the firmware update failed and then restarted.

Seems like root has broken the ability to receive firmware updates. Any ideas on what can be done at this point to get the update? It'll really be a shame to be locked out of the ICS upgrade.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you want to do ATT OTA update put back stock recovery and then it will work. It will OEM lock it after the update so use fastboot oem unlock afterwards if you ant to put back CWR.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you want to do ATT OTA update put back stock recovery and then it will work. It will OEM lock it after the update so use fastboot oem unlock afterwards if you ant to put back CWR.
Thanks! Any idea where I can get an image of the stock recovery?

I followed the instructions in the first post exactly to root, and there aren't any stock images there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am trying to write the original recovery to the tablet but I get the following error

Code:
<br />
sending 'recovery' (10240 KB)...<br />
OKAY [  2.561s]<br />
writing 'recovery'...<br />
FAILED (remote: unknown reason)<br />
finished. total time: 2.563s<br />
I don't know why this error is now happening as I have rooted the tablet successfully. I have tried writing the CWM recovery and rewriting the boot image to see if they would work successfully and everything has that "FAILED (remote: unknown reason)" error. I have tried writing recovery via the terminal and via adb shell command and it looks like it goes through (no errors) but it isn't.

While searching for a solution to the problem, I had read to try and erase the recovery partition which DID go through, but I still cannot write to the recovery or the boot. So now I do not have a recovery partition at all. When I try booting to recovery now, it just goes directly to fastboot.

Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This sounds crazy, but I think I just bricked my tablet just by typing `adb reboot bootloader`.

It shutdown, and then the screen went black and it never came up in the bootloader. I've tried holding the power button for over a minute, and no response. The battery is sealed so no way to pull the battery. It's just completely unresponsive and apparently off and ADB doesn't see it connected.

Edit: Okay, I was just being dumb, apparently the bootloader screen is just completely black. I was able to issue commands through fastboot still and `fastboot reboot` rebooted it fine. It's scary this thing can get in a state where holding power button has no effect.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts