Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Rooter
241 Posts
For IceCream Sandwich (Honeycomb users skip this section):

You will need to downgrade using the .33 firmware

Download the firmware THAT MATCHES your device:
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Eee%20Pad%20Transformer%20Prime%20TF201&p=20&s=16&os=32&hashedid=n/a

Unzip UpdateLauncher_XX_epaduser_8_8_3_3.zip (XX is dependent on your device, get the right one.), please the contained directories (folders for you windows users) on your sdcard, keep the structure intact.

Reboot to recovery, by powering off,
holding volume down, and power then press vol up when asked about booting into rck

Dakoe's tip of the day
<Dakoe> hold down volume-down, press the power button till the device turns on. shortly after seeing the first bit of text in the top right release volume-down, hit volume-up. about 5 seconds to do it

Honeycomb and ICS users:

Download, install and setup OTA Rootkeeper. Not optional if you want to keep root after OTAs.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.otarootkeeper

Brought to you by AndroidPolice and RootzWiki

Special thanks to -viperboy- for putting his Prime on the line during testing, and Hawkysoft for convincing me to look in the first place.

Donations not required, but if you really want to you can find my donate app in signature or paypal on the left hand side of this post. Funds go for devices (for more lulzrooting), kick backs for my kids, and to charities of my choice.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.andirc.jcasedonate

Release and Downloads :
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/01/04/exclusive-nachoroot-brings-root-access-to-the-transformer-prime-even-with-the-newest-firmware/

This is the support thread, feel free to ask questions here. Please do not redistribute my exploit.

adb push nachoroot.bin /data/local/
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/nachoroot.bin
adb shell /data/local/nachoroot.bin --stage1
adb reboot
<wait for boot>
adb shell /data/local/nachoroot.bin --stage2
adb reboot
<wait for boot>
adb shell id
<if id is 0 / root then continue, else start over>
adb remount
adb push su /system/xbin/su
adb shell chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su
adb shell chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su
adb shell /data/local/nachoroot.bin --undo
adb reboot

Go install superuser from market

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Thanks for figuring this out! Now we just need Asus to release there bootloader unlock tool.

·
Average Android
120 Posts
Wow thanks a ton jcase. Just got my prime today and was bummed to hear about the whole locked bootloader thing, but having perm root is awesome! Will be sure to try this out in the next few days and I'll let you know how it goes.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
hmmm ive done the first two steps twice and this is what im getting for id:

uid=2000(shell) gid=2000(shell) groups=1003(graphics),1004(input),1007(log),1009(mount),1011(adb),1015(sdcard_rw),3001(net_bt_admin),3002(net_bt),3003(inet)

i don't see any 0 /root in there. trying again.

edit... think i found the problem... back in a minute

edit 2... got it... for any dumbass's out there like myself, stage1/2 is a parameter not a notation.
rebooting to download su now. thanks! your the man!

·
Average Android
120 Posts
OK screw it I decided to just do this tonight even though I was shaking in my boots during the process cuz I didn't wanna brick my brand new Prime, but everything seemed to have worked awesome and now I have root! Thanks again jcase, I'll be donating soon!

·
Android Addict
1,043 Posts
Should we wait till ics drops? Just wondering if this might stop us from taking the ota.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using RootzWiki

·
Android Addict
1,043 Posts
Anyone got some buildprop tweaks? I was going to up the max events some.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki

·
Android Addict
1,043 Posts
ive ran this twice and still dont have root. only thing i done different was use the su file from petes moto root tools. when i click the one in the link it opens as a txt file, even if i right click and save as. then the txt file wont push....

·
Registered
421 Posts
hey guys quick question after downloading those 2 files and before running the commands where do i need to put the files i downloaded, do i leave them in my download folder in my computer or i need to move them some where in my c/ drive where adb is on? thanx

·
Registered
421 Posts
The new ota will put you at 8.8.3.33, do that first then follow root method.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
k thanx, where do i put the 2 files that i have to download fr the op, do i keep them im my download folder on my pc or do i have to move them somewhere else before running the commands?

·
Android Addict
1,043 Posts
k got it, updating now after thats done im gonna give it a shot, thanx
Make sure the SU didnt download as a txt file. It kept doing that to me when i clicked it. If it did you can use other SU files if they are saved to your pc. I used the one that i used when i unlocked my gnex.

·
Android Addict
1,043 Posts
Also edited buildprop after root, rasied max events to 500. Seems like i got a nice little speed bump. I am not sure how high we can go with that on this device, i just took a stab at it. Maybe a dev will chime in...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Make sure the SU didnt download as a txt file. It kept doing that to me when i clicked it. If it did you can use other SU files if they are saved to your pc. I used the one that i used when i unlocked my gnex.
yup your right it did, let me see if i find one here in my pc, i rooted my gnex through a video i saw so it gave me the root so let me see if i find one here

1 - 20 of 77 Posts